• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Paul Maher

Jun 15, 2018
Bethesda
✟15,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I am a physician, though my speciality is in Preventive Medicine, not Psychiatry. Actually I spent ten years at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in an office dedicated to getting drugs for rare diseases to market and have worked for a number of years since as a consultant to the pharmaceutical industry, so one thing I am comfortable with is going through medical literature. A couple weeks ago I decided, why not investigate various alternative health approaches by going through the medical literature and posting video of what is found there, the medical literature is often much more supportive of alternative/micro-nutrient based health interventions than one might suspect from commercial advertisements.

The first topic I decided to take a look at was alternatives/complimentary additions to pharmaceutical anti-depressants. I chose this for two reasons, 1) unlike the rare diseases I spent much of my career on, depression is a serious and unfortunately common disease and 2) there are well-documented concerns in the medical literature over serious and potentially dangerous side effects of some pharmaceutical anti-depressants especially the SSRIs that have come to light. Within that broad topic I chose to focus on Zinc's role in depression for my first videos. Each video is about a half hour long and I have the first two of what will be likely a four part series posted now on my "To Your Health" video channel. While the first one may start a little slow as I have to explain what I am doing and why from there I just go through the medical literature study by study and explain why Zinc would be expected to be helpful in depression from the published evidence we now have available. If you would like to view these videos

Part I is available here:

Part II is on the same channel, parts 3 and 4 should be out within a week. For those who don't have an hour to spend getting the in-depth discussion of the literature the as the kids on the web call if TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read) version is that 1) there is a large and growing body of evidence from the past twenty years that derangements of zinc homeostasis are involved in depression and other mental disorders and a variety of current theories for why this is so, 2) multiple population based studies have found that low blood zinc levels are associated with depression 3) pharmaceutical antidepressants, even in the absence of zinc supplementation lead to higher blood zinc levels when the pharmaceutical treatment is effective. 3) In multiple double blind placebo controlled clinical trials zinc supplements given in conjunction with pharmaceutical anti-depressants both helped overcome treatment resistance and augmented the antidepressant’s beneficial effect. 4) Not only are the findings statistically significant with zinc in depression but also the magnitude of zinc's effect is large, i.e it is not that it does something but is only 1/10th as strong as a conventional anti-depressant, it is showing a pronounced effect.

I am not saying zinc is now the end all be all, we have the cure for depression, I view depression as a bit akin to cancer in that there are multiple pathways that can lead to the same end disease state. That said, it is well documented now in the literature that zinc is helpful in depression. I suspect in some cases low zinc may be very important to central to depression.

I hope this information is helpful to those suffering with depression. Please feel free to ask me any questions if I can help clarify anything in the post or videos.

Here's to your Health!

Paul D. Maher, MD MPH

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for posting is there a certain amount of zinc we depressed people need to take to get enough, or are the recommendatory dosages on the supplement bottles enough?

Your video seems to have no sound at least not on my Firefox browser.

Upvote 0

Paul Maher

Jun 15, 2018
Bethesda
✟15,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Jeshu,

Sorry about the no sound. I made the video with a Linux machine and perhaps I encoded something wrong. This is all new to me. I will try looking at it on my windows machine and repost it with a different format if need be. As regards your question, the dosages they were seeing a beneficial effect on depression with in clinical trails varied from 7 mg to 25 or 50 mg/day. By way of context the zinc bottle I picked up from Whole Foods has 50 mg pills. Also by way of context in the dysgeusia (loss of sense of taste) clinical trials where the patients also became less depressed as well as recovering their sense of taste, the dosage was 125 mg zinc/day. So to sum up 25-50 mg zinc per day is a reasonably modest dose of zinc and is in the ballpark of where the beneficial effects on depression were documented in clinical trials. This effect from zinc however took 6-12 weeks to fully manifest itself. Hope this helps, I am going to fire up my windows machine and see if I get sound with the video. Thanks for letting me know, -Paul

• Useful
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Paul Maher

Jun 15, 2018
Bethesda
✟15,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Update: I tried the video on a Linux and Windows machine and got sound, perhaps if a third person views the video we will know if it is a problem on my end or not. Does the sound work with Part II? But again, yes one of the reasons I posted is the dosages they are seeing beneficial effects on depression with are similar to supplement bottle zinc dosages.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I am a physician, though my speciality is in Preventive Medicine, not Psychiatry. Actually I spent ten years at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in an office dedicated to getting drugs for rare diseases to market and have worked for a number of years since as a consultant to the pharmaceutical industry, so one thing I am comfortable with is going through medical literature. A couple weeks ago I decided, why not investigate various alternative health approaches by going through the medical literature and posting video of what is found there, the medical literature is often much more supportive of alternative/micro-nutrient based health interventions than one might suspect from commercial advertisements.

The first topic I decided to take a look at was alternatives/complimentary additions to pharmaceutical anti-depressants. I chose this for two reasons, 1) unlike the rare diseases I spent much of my career on, depression is a serious and unfortunately common disease and 2) there are well-documented concerns in the medical literature over serious and potentially dangerous side effects of some pharmaceutical anti-depressants especially the SSRIs that have come to light. Within that broad topic I chose to focus on Zinc's role in depression for my first videos. Each video is about a half hour long and I have the first two of what will be likely a four part series posted now on my "To Your Health" video channel. While the first one may start a little slow as I have to explain what I am doing and why from there I just go through the medical literature study by study and explain why Zinc would be expected to be helpful in depression from the published evidence we now have available. If you would like to view these videos

Part I is available here:

Part II is on the same channel, parts 3 and 4 should be out within a week. For those who don't have an hour to spend getting the in-depth discussion of the literature the as the kids on the web call if TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read) version is that 1) there is a large and growing body of evidence from the past twenty years that derangements of zinc homeostasis are involved in depression and other mental disorders and a variety of current theories for why this is so, 2) multiple population based studies have found that low blood zinc levels are associated with depression 3) pharmaceutical antidepressants, even in the absence of zinc supplementation lead to higher blood zinc levels when the pharmaceutical treatment is effective. 3) In multiple double blind placebo controlled clinical trials zinc supplements given in conjunction with pharmaceutical anti-depressants both helped overcome treatment resistance and augmented the antidepressant’s beneficial effect. 4) Not only are the findings statistically significant with zinc in depression but also the magnitude of zinc's effect is large, i.e it is not that it does something but is only 1/10th as strong as a conventional anti-depressant, it is showing a pronounced effect.

I am not saying zinc is now the end all be all, we have the cure for depression, I view depression as a bit akin to cancer in that there are multiple pathways that can lead to the same end disease state. That said, it is well documented now in the literature that zinc is helpful in depression. I suspect in some cases low zinc may be very important to central to depression.

I hope this information is helpful to those suffering with depression. Please feel free to ask me any questions if I can help clarify anything in the post or videos.

Here's to your Health!

Paul D. Maher, MD MPH
I am on a primarily plant based diet. I ate salmon once a week and non-fat yogurt once a week. I ate meat when invited to supper with others. Vegans may develop deficiencies in B-12 and zinc. People eating meat are not likely to be deficient in zinc. I took B-12 supplements. I took 25 mg zinc/day by cutting a tablet in half. I also used ground flax seed on my oatmeal to boost omega 3 precursor compounds. I have read numerous books and journal articles. People with zinc deficiencies had a higher risk of prostate cancer and people taking too much zinc had a higher risk of prostate cancer. Vegetarians have a lower risk of prostate cancer.

One study showed the use of antidepressants like Prozac may double the risk of getting Alzheimer's:
http://nationalpost.com/health/anti...alzheimers-and-other-dementias-study-suggests

A Harvard Medical School report lists antidepressants and other drugs that increase a person's risk of getting dementia:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind...-may-want-to-avoid-for-the-sake-of-your-brain

Upvote 0

Paul Maher

Jun 15, 2018
Bethesda
✟15,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Jeshu, Landon, Press On. I am in the process of trying to get up to speed with video editing and it is great to know the videos do actually work. I will be posting two more parts on zinc in depression than will move on to another topic, I am thinking at this point the next topic will be on the anti-viral properties of vitamin D. As things go along if there is a topic you would like to see explored in the medical literature leave me a comment or drop me an e-mail. If you would like to help me so I can continue doing this going forward probably the best and easiest thing to do is to subscribe to my channel and follow me on twitter at TYHealth TYHealth (@ty_health) | Twitter. Thanks again for all the quick feedback and glad people are findings the videos interesting and/or useful.

Upvote 0

Paul Maher

Jun 15, 2018
Bethesda
✟15,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am on a primarily plant based diet. I ate salmon once a week and non-fat yogurt once a week. I ate meat when invited to supper with others. Vegans may develop deficiencies in B-12 and zinc. People eating meat are not likely to be deficient in zinc. I took B-12 supplements. I took 25 mg zinc/day by cutting a tablet in half. I also used ground flax seed on my oatmeal to boost omega 3 precursor compounds. I have read numerous books and journal articles. People with zinc deficiencies had a higher risk of prostate cancer and people taking too much zinc had a higher risk of prostate cancer. Vegetarians have a lower risk of prostate cancer.

One study showed the use of antidepressants like Prozac may double the risk of getting Alzheimer's:
http://nationalpost.com/health/anti...alzheimers-and-other-dementias-study-suggests

A Harvard Medical School report lists antidepressants and other drugs that increase a person's risk of getting dementia:
Two types of drugs you may want to avoid for the sake of your brain - Harvard Health

Thank you for the links, will be sure to have a look at them. In part I, I briefly reviewed Professor Gotzsche's very disturbing findings on pharmaceutical antidepressants, however as I pointed out I don't want the channel especially earlier on to devolve into a "Woe is us, everything is terrible, we're doomed!" sort of thing, but rather to discuss the beneficial information that is out there that empowers people. I am also not providing specific treatment advice but rather just discussing what is seen in the literature that people may wish to consider and perhaps discuss with their physician. Yes, it is difficult to avoid the bad news, for instance David Graham, Johns Hopkin's trained physician, Harvard educated epidemiologist for the FDA came to the conclusion that Vioxx in the few years it was on the market killed 60,000 people by heart attack, as many people as the U,S, lost in the Vietnam war. These things are worth talking about I just don't want to fall into a "how dare they!" sort of trap and instead focus on what is helpful, but yes certainly sometimes what is helpful is avoiding certain things.

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums