Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That game was when the Zelda series got good.

It was great before that game. Zelda II: Adventure of Link is on my top ten games of all time and I'll always see that game as a parallel for coming of age in the Catholic church because I got it when I made my first holy communion. It only became more relevant to me when I received the sacrament of confirmation as a teenager, because I saw the entire plot of the game as analogous to a spiritual journey.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Zelda II: Adventure of Link is on my top ten games of all time
I tried to play it several times and just didn't care for it. To each their own.
I'll always see that game as a parallel for coming of age in the Catholic church because I got it when I made my first holy communion. It only became more relevant to me when I received the sacrament of confirmation as a teenager, because I saw the entire plot of the game as analogous to a spiritual journey.
That's cool. :cool:

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I tried to play it several times and just didn't care for it.

When I first got it, I couldn't even get to the Hammer and as a result I put it down until about the time I was 13 or 14, then I picked it back up again and saw the parallels in what was going on in my own "quest for the triforce of courage" at the time, so I began to like it more. I saw the Triforce of courage as being analogous to the Holy Spirit, and created my own sort of "Zelda theology" a while ago but I lost the documents that I wrote out about it. What made the second game have such an impact with me, is that he's not necessarily fighting Gannon's minions as he's fighting off the creatures that were put in place to protect the crystal statues and ultimately, the Triforce of Courage, so I always sort of saw my journey through the Catholic church as parallel to that as a kid. Idk, I can't really explain it that well anymore without being able to show you screenshots of the game. I did a similar thing with the Castlevania games and saw parallels to Christianity in those as well, particularly numbers II & III.

I didn't realize how great of a game it was until I was an adult and that Ocarina of Time and all of the 3D Zelda games took what it was doing with combat in 1987 and perfected it to run on a 3D engine and added in stuff like Link doing backflips to dodge Ironknuckle's battleaxe blows. Granted you couldn't really run good combat on the NES, but with the technology at the time with the upward stabs and downward stabs, the combat was actually pretty good and that Zelda title always felt like more of a beat 'em up/platformer with RPG elements than the top-down action of Zelda action that everyone thinks of because of the first game, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, etc and I'm a big fan of beat 'em ups (I just played through TMNT II: The Arcade Game for the third time in three days yesterday). I get that it's not for everyone, because it can be a remarkably difficult game if you don't have the will to sit down and get really good at it, and like most games of it's era: it didn't hold the players hand like contemporary games do.

I can talk about old school video games until the cows come home, but I can't tell you anything about contemporary games because I don't own consoles to play them on and can't justify sitting down and putting the 50+ hours into a game anymore the way I could in my late teens and early twenties. I think the most recent Zelda game I played through to the end was A Link Between Worlds and that game was phenomenal! I highly recommend that one to anyone who has a 3DS, because it was a sequel to A Link to the Past and was very well done with a lot of innovative mechanics and a pretty cool story. Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass I did not like nearly as much.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't have a Wii U or Switch so no Breath of the Wild for me, unfortunately. :(
Here's my ranking:
Twilight Princess (I loved the attempt at a more gritty, realistic Zelda game. I love the boss fights. I love the dungeons)
Skyward Sword (I loved the motion controls. :| I hate to say it, if you think they're difficult or a gimmick, or whatever, you probably just weren't good at it :| )
Zelda II (see below)
Ocarina of Time (I rank it so low b/c I played TP first so OOT just feels dated to me. A remastered version w/ modern graphics, heck yeah, that'd be amazing)
Zelda I (the classic)
Spirit Tracks (everything Phantom Hourglass got wrong, ST improved dramatically)
Minish Cap (first one I played. Not bad at all. Just too short & the others are just that brilliant)
Phantom Hourglass (I don't mind the touch controls, but the game just has a dull atmosphere. Every island looks the same. Same music is played every island. It just feels half-hearted to me. I'd say this one is significantly lower than the others)

I got a couple dungeons into Wind Waker & stopped. Someday I want to return to it. Someday I want to get a system that can play BotW. I want to try some of the older GB/GBC games.

I'm not actually that interested in playing LttP or Majora's Mask.

It was great before that game. Zelda II: Adventure of Link is on my top ten games of all time and I'll always see that game as a parallel for coming of age in the Catholic church because I got it when I made my first holy communion. It only became more relevant to me when I received the sacrament of confirmation as a teenager, because I saw the entire plot of the game as analogous to a spiritual journey.
Adventures of Link is AMAZING. It's dare I say one of my top Zelda games....? I was addicted. It's challenging, but I don't feel like it's impossible-without-a-guide like mind-bogglingly frustrating like Zelda 1. It has the '1 more try.......' to it that's so missing in modern video games.

To those who see the reviews that say 'skippable Zelda game' or 'breaks from the classic formula', don't skip it, & it still feels like a Zelda game even tho it has (for the most part) linear dungeons.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When I first got it, I couldn't even get to the Hammer and as a result I put it down until about the time I was 13 or 14, then I picked it back up again and saw the parallels in what was going on in my own "quest for the triforce of courage" at the time, so I began to like it more. I saw the Triforce of courage as being analogous to the Holy Spirit, and created my own sort of "Zelda theology" a while ago but I lost the documents that I wrote out about it. What made the second game have such an impact with me, is that he's not necessarily fighting Gannon's minions as he's fighting off the creatures that were put in place to protect the crystal statues and ultimately, the Triforce of Courage, so I always sort of saw my journey through the Catholic church as parallel to that as a kid. Idk, I can't really explain it that well anymore without being able to show you screenshots of the game. I did a similar thing with the Castlevania games and saw parallels to Christianity in those as well, particularly numbers II & III.

I didn't realize how great of a game it was until I was an adult and that Ocarina of Time and all of the 3D Zelda games took what it was doing with combat in 1987 and perfected it to run on a 3D engine and added in stuff like Link doing backflips to dodge Ironknuckle's battleaxe blows. Granted you couldn't really run good combat on the NES, but with the technology at the time with the upward stabs and downward stabs, the combat was actually pretty good and that Zelda title always felt like more of a beat 'em up/platformer with RPG elements than the top-down action of Zelda action that everyone thinks of because of the first game, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, etc and I'm a big fan of beat 'em ups (I just played through TMNT II: The Arcade Game for the third time in three days yesterday). I get that it's not for everyone, because it can be a remarkably difficult game if you don't have the will to sit down and get really good at it, and like most games of it's era: it didn't hold the players hand like contemporary games do.

I feel like Zelda II holds the players hand more than people give it credit for. I find it very linear, for example. Especially compared to Zelda I. You can't access the land where the next dungeon is until you beat the one you're at. The temples are obviously platformers. It only doesn't hold your hand for combat, but you simply work at it & get better.

I can talk about old school video games until the cows come home, but I can't tell you anything about contemporary games because I don't own consoles to play them on and can't justify sitting down and putting the 50+ hours into a game anymore the way I could in my late teens and early twenties. I think the most recent Zelda game I played through to the end was A Link Between Worlds and that game was phenomenal! I highly recommend that one to anyone who has a 3DS, because it was a sequel to A Link to the Past and was very well done with a lot of innovative mechanics and a pretty cool story. Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass I did not like nearly as much.
I definitely prefer retro games & hate how modern games require 50+ hours just to beat the main story. I don't have the time for that!

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Adventures of Link is AMAZING. It's dare I say one of my top Zelda games....? I was addicted. It's challenging, but I don't feel like it's impossible-without-a-guide like mind-bogglingly frustrating like Zelda 1. It has the '1 more try.......' to it that's so missing in modern video games.

It's my top one for a reason. They've never done anything until OoT & TP that came remotely close to that game & it's really not hard once you've played through it once or twice and it's one of those games that you can easily play through in a day if you try. When I start a new game on a file I already finished, I can get through it in about two hours from start to finish.

Upvote 0

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I definitely prefer retro games & hate how modern games require 50+ hours just to beat the main story. I don't have the time for that!

Interesting. I'm the opposite. If I'm spending $60+ on a game I want at least 60 hours worth of content (either provided by the story or because I'm given the freedom to make my own adventures)

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ocarina of Time (I rank it so low b/c I played TP first so OOT just feels dated to me. A remastered version w/ modern graphics, heck yeah, that'd be amazing)
I'd said just that when I saw Skyward Sword coming out on the Switch. I'd really wished they'd made an OOT remastered version instead. The music in that game was amazing.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd really wished they'd made an OOT remastered version instead.

There was an OOT remaster on the 3DS.

As far as the music goes, if you've never played it on N64, you aren't hearing the actual music for the fire temple, as there was very haunting chants in it that were removed in subsequent releases.

• Useful
Reactions: Sodafox
Upvote 0