• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

(Zai yingwen )dui hao! Dan shi ni keyi keneng dong le wo shuo le /Tips for Mandarin

Discussion in 'Other Regions' started by star in the sky, Aug 27, 2014.

1. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    你们谁不明白可能使用在线翻译
    Nǐmen shuí/shei bù míngbái kěnéng shǐyòng zàixiàn fānyì​

Tips lve learned for pronunciation in Mandarin/languages

× Dont be afraid to speak your best pronounciation of the language. Im learning and have been reminded its fine to sound like a native speaker . Personally my progress is that I dont sound like a native speaker or one who has mastered Mandarin - the pronounciation but the more as time goes by as my ear gets use to the sound of the language and when I dont hold back but give my best pronounciation Ive had comments from fluent Chinese that at times I sound just like a native speaker. One Chinese friend said I even speak some words better than her! I was shocked that was encouraging and I hope it is for you too- I admit having a natural talent for languages makes it easier for me and others but it doesnt mean you cant learn one though.Think about missionaries they really have to hone in on perserverance with learning their language(s) of where their based!

x Different regions of the country and different countries where the language is spoken will influence how particular words, phrases are spoken so don't be annoyed so much or confused just accept it would be my advice they may not even know the difference. I.e. I soon learnt that my best friend from Shanghai in china , she had also lived in another part of China spoke words that had the sound of "sh" / as "s" whereas her friend from a city or province near Beijing corrected me one day because I was pronouncing the word "shang" as "sang" but she said "its pronounced "shang" I knew that but since I had heard my best friend pronounce the words beginning with "sh" as "s" I had altered how I had been taught Chinese in university which was influenced by Mandarin spoken in Beijing (they told me about the "sh" and "s" differences that some Chinese leave the "h" out of "sh" in words such as "shang)
    It came back to me the regional differences of how Chinese spoke Mandarin which I had been informed about in Uni.

x Don't be afraid to practice, make mistakes . One of the greatest pieces of advice Ive been told by a Chinese young man is 'speak louder', reason being is it sort of puts you out there people aren't going to miss what you've said that has been part of me learning. He even went on to say " Chinese people don't speak quietly" whether or not I fully agree he had a good point. If you're loud and clear in speaking you'll be confident and don't feel embarrassed when you get corrected its all part of the learning.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. pilgrimsong

pilgrimsong Newbie

+9
    Christian
    Single
    nin hao! wo zai feilubin ren... wo qu nian xuesheng Kong Fu Zi... hanban

3. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    ni hao a!
    wo shi xinxilan ren, he wo bu shi zhong guo ren le.

Wo hui shuo yidianr zhong wen , ni ne?
    I have good prononciation but writting , reading and using good grammar I am not good at .

4. pilgrimsong

pilgrimsong Newbie

+9
    Christian
    Single
    dui bu qi... wo shi feilubin ren. (my previous sentence is bad)

Shi.. wo hui yidian zhongwen.

(I studied in our country's branch of Confucius Institute.... last year I was a a student)

5. AnneY

AnneY Well-Known Member

+346
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    Nǐ hǎo! :D Wǒ shì měiguó rén. Wǒ xuéxí Zhōngguó wénzì, suǒyǐ xiě pīnyīn shì yīdiǎn nán. Wǒ de zhōngwén bù hǎo, suǒyǐ wǒ xūyào hěnduō de liànxí.

[​IMG] practice, practice, practice :graduation:

6. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+16,301
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Ni hao!

So does 'Ni hao' vary between Mandarin and other dialects such as Cantonese? :)

7. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    yes

8. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private

9. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    wo ye yi yang le wo xuyao hen duo de lianxi. wo xie hanzi bu xing de keshi wo shuo hanyu hai hao le. wo shi xin xi lan ren he bai ren le

10. faroukfarouk

+16,301
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So does it vary in tone only? or in phonemes as well, between Mandarin and Cantonese?

11. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    i wouldnt know sorry. back to your first question they are different ie shanghainess hello is: nong hao
    cantonese is: lei ho (i think)

12. faroukfarouk

+16,301
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Thanks!

So is Mandarin your first language? :)

13. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    nope im not chinese just a beginner or upper beginner learner of mandarin

14. faroukfarouk

+16,301
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Sounds like you know more than I do, anyway! Sounds also like English might be your first language.

15. Home

Home Newbie

+5
    hello,star,can u speak english? is english your native language? your chinese seems good, what do u think about your english skills?

16. Trogdor the Burninator

Trogdor the Burninator Senior Veteran

+2,042
    Christian
    If you want to improve your Mandarin - try watching this show. All the conversational Mandarin you can cope with in one hour.

17. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    Home remember me? We were talking in my other thread I asked you questions and you answered about a year ago, for me yes english is my first language so my english is fine wo shi bai ren he xinxilan ren le. My understanding, reading is not good and my writting I struggle with alot probably because im not Chinese but my pronounciation is good . thanks for the recent replies guys I am discouraged in learning Chinese. I threw out my chinese dictionary etc because my older chinese friend is too busy too teach me more chinese with her job but Im gonna buy another dictionary and things again you guys have encouraged me to keep going! :) thankyou. I cant speak conversational chinese I m not at intermediate level yet.

18. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    Home , I dont know how to use the chinese word 'hai you ', can you give me some examples ? its it like the english word 'as' like : apples are not as sweet as oranges

19. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    Home Also Im practising using 'de' but I dont know why Chinese say 'shi de' and when to use 'shi de' which situations would I use 'shi de' . I know it means yes but why dont just say dui , shi, shi a why shi de? do you use it to say yes after when someone is talking about doing something or using something like verbs? Do you not use shi de with nouns or people ? For example is Na ge nu wei de toufa shi huang se ma? Is that woman's hair yellow? - this question you wouldnt say 'shi de' if you wanted to say 'yes', is that right?

20. star in the sky

star in the sky Newbie

+81
    Christian
    Private
    Or Anyone Chinese students or Chinese people who could help me with the above questions. Thanx