Yu-Gi-Oh Cards and the like...

liven4him

Aug 17, 2005
✟7,612.00
Faith
Pentecostal
My son is also very interested in the Yu-gi-oh craze. This worries me because the bible says that the devil will come as a wolf in sheeps clothing or an angel of light. The world as well as a lot of christians Desensitize themselves with evil. Claiming its only "a movie." So whats wrong with Harry Potter and the like? I'll tell you. If it does not bring glory to God we should stray away from the very appearances of evil. Any movie, game, comic book, or novel that depicts spells and witch craft is not from our most Holy God. I know that one of the Cards in the Yu-gi-oh deck is the card called "Rah" which is a greek god if you remember. My son is angry with me and mostly because I bought him loads of the cards before I took a close look at what they were really all about. Be watchful. It is our responsibility to protect our children from the influences of Satan and the world.
I hope this has helped. Blessings to you

Upvote 0

snarfywarning

Thy will, not my will, Savior!
Jul 29, 2005
Palm Desert, CA
Visit site
✟8,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. I would say let kids play with the cards, read fantasy books, and do whatever as long as it is not causing harm. It is your responsibility as a parent to let them know it is fake and for entertainment purposes only. I think things like that should only be taken away if the child is starting to get maliousos about it, or doing dangerous things. (like stealing or lieing or being a poor sport about the cards, jumping off the roof on a broom trying to be like Harry Potter and such) Watch your kids and use your convictions and judgements.

Books and Cards don't turn kids bad. Lack of supervision and understanding DO.

Upvote 0

faith177

growing
Aug 18, 2003
BC
Visit site
✟382,544.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would say that God gives us a discernment when we need it and if it makes you feel nervous than it will NOT hurt your children to NOT play with them. We have to do what we feel is right for our children, my son played with those for awhile and watched the shows when I started looking at them I just knew that they were not right for our family and took them all out. The world wants to slip in alot of garbage into our homes by making us feel guilty ie. they're harmless, everyone is doing it, ect..... dont get sucked into that, do what you feel is right for your family.

FYI We like the redemption cards also they are a good alternative for kids that like that kind of stuff, angel wars movies and bible man are good for boys too. There is so much good stuff you just have to look for it.

Upvote 0

selune

Feb 3, 2004
✟17,896.00
Faith
Protestant
As a mom of 4, I feel I can add my 2 cents to this topic. We screen whatever our kids watch, read, and play, and yes, Yu-Gi-Oh is allowed in our house. To us, this is a completely fictional world, as is Harry Potter, Lion Witch and the Wardrobe, etc. Each of those has the same basic message...Good conquers evil in the end. Yes, they have different means to the ends because of their fictional worlds.

Our family also plays D&D together. It's amazing the amount of creativity the kids can bring to this game. I played it as a youth and teen and am constantly amazed at what our kids create for their characters. We have played Yu-Gi-oh cards too (although style wise it's not my kind of game) my 11 year old is learning how to use different strategic elements to make the game go in her favor. Is she being turned away from God? Absolutely not. She knows because we have instilled in her from a very young age that these games/stories/shows are complete FICTION.

As to the issue of being judged about choices of entertainment, we have been told by high level people at church that Harry Potter and Yu-Gi-Oh are conduits of evil. While at the same time, these people have taken their kids to see the Star Wars movies multiple times, yet find none of that to be bad. I am a big fan of Star Wars too, and find nothing wrong with it, but in my opinion, how can a world where there is some mystical "Force" that is used very magically for both good and evil works be any different than the world of Harry Potter where "magic" is used in the same manner?

Upvote 0

Bunnaroo

"Hare Force" Intelligence
May 26, 2005
front of a computer
✟8,440.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Susan said:
To tell you the truth, I honestly would not know since there are no mentions of anime or RPGs of any kind in the Bible, just as there are no mentions of cars or the PC on which I'm reading your message and writing this reply. My best guess is that it is, therefore, an issue left to how each person believes, an issue of individual freedom.

We are given a standard:
Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.
That's how I get around the "Grapefruit isn't mentioned in the Bible" arguement. That's the standard I use to judge the things to place in my mind. I have gotten more sensitive about it, because now I have to make such judgements for myself and my son. My options for entertainment have shrunk, but how many hobbies should one have?

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We don't have them here in our home but hasn't been an issue. My son has attended a Christian school and nobody brought them to school. We also don't watch any of the anime-type shows so he has absolutely no clue what these things are.

I have a friend whose children were into these cards and they ended up having alot of problems and banning the cards in their home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willseeker

Aug 4, 2005
✟7,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Beckijhn said:
It has to be along the lines of what God is telling you. If you've been in the occult you know that 'gut feeling' you get when things are wrong, and you are in tune with the spiritual warfare that goes on around you - Being a fine tuned awareness after being delivered from that side of spiritual bondage.

You are in tune with HIS will, and you can safely follow your 'gut instinct' in this. I think you know how you feel about this because it was a big enough issue to post. It's hard to deal with stuff like this and our kids when our walk is not in the same place as our spouse's walk.

All things that influence spiritual warfare in our lives is a battle worth fighting!

I agree here with Beckijhn! Trust your gut (you've been there and know what you're talking about). Besides, as parents we know what's the best thing to do for our kids, because we find our guidance (even gut feels) from God!!

The issue might just be the disagreement with your husband... The two of you should just find unity in the CORRECT dicision, and i wish you luck on that!

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was scrolling through the channels and noticed this show is on in a few hours so I hit 'info' to see what Yu-Gi-Oh is about. Here is the description:

A battle between two egyptian God cards releases mystical forces and visions that answer questions and create prophesies.

Can somebody please tell me why keeping kids from watching this in a Christian home is even an issue? Boy this decision is about as easy as it gets.

Upvote 0

selune

Feb 3, 2004
✟17,896.00
Faith
Protestant
On the same note, any fiction that contains fantasy elements should equally be banned aka The Wizard of Oz, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty...

"Can somebody please tell me why keeping kids from watching this in a Christian home is even an issue? Boy this decision is about as easy as it gets."

To insinuate that those of us who do allow our children to enjoy fantasy shows are somehow less Christian is beyond irritating. It's make-believe and our kids know that. We've taught them the difference between reality and imagination. If you choose to not let your kids watch it, fine, but don't cast condemnation on those of us who enjoy story-telling. Earlier, I offered reasons why Yu-Gi-Oh and the like are not "bad' things. I never said that people shouldn't make their own judgements, just stop trying to judge those of us who decide that a piece of fiction is ok to enjoy.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
selune said:
On the same note, any fiction that contains fantasy elements should equally be banned aka The Wizard of Oz, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty...

"Can somebody please tell me why keeping kids from watching this in a Christian home is even an issue? Boy this decision is about as easy as it gets."

To insinuate that those of us who do allow our children to enjoy fantasy shows are somehow less Christian is beyond irritating. It's make-believe and our kids know that. We've taught them the difference between reality and imagination. If you choose to not let your kids watch it, fine, but don't cast condemnation on those of us who enjoy story-telling. Earlier, I offered reasons why Yu-Gi-Oh and the like are not "bad' things. I never said that people shouldn't make their own judgements, just stop trying to judge those of us who decide that a piece of fiction is ok to enjoy.

I guess if you see these on the same level as the Wizard of Oz or Tolkein, there's no use debating this...

Upvote 0

selune

Feb 3, 2004
✟17,896.00
Faith
Protestant
I do see these on the same level. They use magical elements in their fictional storylines. As I said just before, if you have personal convictions about such, then fine, don't watch the shows or play the games, but also don't condemn my family as being somehow less Christian because we don't have problems with those shows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

straightforward

Mar 13, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is anyone here really condeming anyone elses family as being less Christian just by putting their own beliefs and feelings down in a post??
Just because some of us see a major difference between The Chronicals of Narnia and YuGiOh (as in Where is God and where the powers come from) doesn't mean you have to take offence at it.

Just to update: My husband and I have come a long way from where we were back when I last posted here. I found a lot of what had gone wrong had to do with the way I express myself. There was also a piece of the puzzle I hadn't understood at the time which had to do with two of our sons absolutely doing anything they could to push buttons...even if it meant hurting themselves (not just talking about Yugioh here). They have gotten into worse things than YuGiOh since and I find it all coming from the same source. YuGiOh was just cracking the door open a little bit more...along with some other things I've found out about since then. Not all children are the same so I can't necissarily post this as a warning. I've met some kids who caught on that there was something wrong with yugioh all on there own...with no prompting from parents. There are others who are kept from it and live quite a normal life without it ever becoming an issue (with their parents or their peers). Some kids get into yugioh and they go wrong. Some kids get into yugioh and go right. Maybe it depends on how strong your family is...maybe it doesn't. Who knows?

Indoctrination takes many forms. All we can do as parents is to be responsible about what we set before our children. If you don't think there's anything wrong with yugioh...that's up to you. BUT at the same time those of us who think there is something wrong with it are allowed to be as stringent as we see fit.

This really is not worth arguing about.

Upvote 0

selune

Feb 3, 2004
✟17,896.00
Faith
Protestant
I would never deny someone the right to choose how their children are brought up. In fact, I said if people have a personal problem with something, then do not watch/play that thing. My problem was with the insinuation that Christian homes shouldn't have this in them, that by watching Yu-Gi-Oh we were doing something against God. Just as I respect you to be as stringent in what your children watch, I would hope that you would respect my household's rules (it would probably amaze you how little TV our kids watch, we just don't have a problem with Yu-Gi-Oh, which is what this thread was about) and not tell your children that we are doing something wrong. ;)

Out of pure curiosity, I wonder how many people have actually seen Yu-Gi-Oh. I watched the entire US release series with my kids and saw it as a modern day fairy tale. Much like the fairy tales of old, Yu-Gi-Oh comes from a different cultural background and is influenced by that background.

Another question, what about other stories that use magic in them such as Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, Lion King and Wizard of Oz? God is not apparent in those either. Do you believe that they are different from Yu-Gi-Oh and how are they different?

I'm truly curious and am not being snarky here. The lines that people draw have often confused me because they include material that because it was written by a certain author, it's ok, but on a pure scale of what it contains, it is on par with material that they would deem bad.

My original post was in response to your original post, personally, we don't have a problem with Yu-Gi-Oh because we view it as fiction. No, not all fiction is worth reading watching, but the underlying message in Yu-Gi-Oh is good is overcoming evil, and friends stick together, and the characters even treat their rivals with respect (that sounds like a biblical message, love thy enemies) while they work to defeat that which is really the common bad. I only became irritated when some posters claimed that Yu-Gi-Oh and the like were evil or promoting evil. They do contain mythology of other cultures, and as we tell our kids, yes, some cultures worshipped these as real deities but they were not real, only God is supreme.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow StraightForward, your story sounds just like my friend's story. You aren't be any chance in California are you??? She could have written what you wrote but her family went through this when my son was only a few years old so that helped us decide those shows were not for our family before we had even stumbled across them.

And just to build on what you said about kids catching on, I've seen that as well.

Upvote 0

selune

Feb 3, 2004
✟17,896.00
Faith
Protestant
This is my point oregal and straightforward, you say things like "kids caught on that there was something wrong with Yu-Gi-Oh" like that was some established fact. That those who don't see the show as bad are just being hoodwinked or somehow haven't "caught on" yet. I don't believe that Yu-Gi-Oh is a bad show. It's a difference in taste. You wouldn't catch me reading "romance" novels, Cosmo, watching Desparate Housewives, or other soap opera for example.

Upvote 0

straightforward

Mar 13, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nope, I'm not from California.:)

Ok...here's the thing. Some kids might be more sensitive to things than others. My husband got into D&D when he was a teen and didn't get sucked into anything. (If that has to do with desensitization? I don't know so I can't go there.) I got into some stuff and I got sucked into the deeper part of it (the part behind the scenes). What made the difference??? I don't know.

I might be able to explain what I'm trying to say using your own example of romance novels, soap operas, etc. What makes them wrong if they are also just fiction? They aren't real and just because you watch them doesn't mean your going to go out and do the things they are doing on the show. (this is your arguement right?) So, what makes you draw the line? And, are you saying that people who do have less of a christian home than you do because you don't watch/read them? (I don't think you are. I'm just trying to make a point:))

What makes the difference between something like the Wizard of Oz and YuGiOh? For me personally it has to do with too much information. I've questioned the Wizard of Oz and I've questioned Sleeping Beauty. I've tried to watch them the same way I watched YuGiOh...weighing every word and action. (Mainly because they all deal with one form of witchcraft or the other.) There just wasn't as much to worry about. I don't know exactly how to explain it but they weren't putting real names to these "magic" using beings. Yes, there were witches and the idea of there being a "good" witch freaks me out. It's sort of the same way I had to weigh 'That Hiddeous Strength' the first time I read it...why was Merlin or King Arthur (I can't remember which, it's been a long time) somehow ok??? I still haven't figured that one out! There's at least one part in the Chronicals of Narnia that I can't agree with...but I still let my kids read them. What can I say. Just somethings definatly get the hair on the back of my neck up and others do not. YuGiOh was non stop throwing things around like they were nothing that I recognized as occult. There's a big difference between explaining one part that I disagree with in something when the rest of it fits into my world view vs trying to explain why the most of somethig doesn't fit into my world view and I agree with part. Is that a better explaination?

Upvote 0