youth support advice

P

purplecloth

I originally posted this in the Womens Section, but someone suggested you wonderful people over here might be able to help me out...

Here is was I posted over there

I'm hoping some of you might have some ideas on how to handle something one of our concerned mothers came to me with today.

She has 3 teenagers, one of whom is really struggling with the idea of death and people dying...

Her mum (the grandmother) is not well, her dad (the grandfather) died a while ago and he is really having trouble with the idea of his mum dying or his brother or sister dying...

She has tried to talk to him about it etc... but she can't seem to settle his mind about it.

She came to us to see if we could approach it in Sunday School somehow...

But we (the three sunday school teachers who were there today) are unsure as to what we can do...

I wondered if any of you ladies had tackled this with young people at all, or had any ideas on what we can do...

His family are Christians, of that we can be sure, I am unsure of his gran though.

But its not just about them dying, i think its him being left, and how he deals with it...

Any ideas will be greatfully received...

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if this will help, but you might give it a try:

His mom might try explaining that humans were brought into existance and given life so that they might recognize the existance of God, living a life of worship and service to others. Death entered the world because of original sin, but those who find Jesus and put their trust in him as their savior will be restored to the perfect eden-like state for eternity after their earthly life is over.

While the sudden deaths of younger people seem like an unfathomable tragedy, the death of older people is, in some ways, a blessing and release, since their health eventually deteriorates to the point where they really don't want to live any more. I have seen this happen with many older family members, and I can anticipate it with myself.

Also, remind him that it is the natural order of things for the younger generations to replace the older ones, and, painful as it may be now, we will be eternally reunited with the people we miss now, assuming that they have also accepted Jesus. If they haven't, well...it's another consequence of sin.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
there isn't a blanket sermon that will answer everyone's question about death. You or who ever has to have a dialog with the child one on one. answer his questions confidently, so he feels secures with those answers.Do not sugar coat anything, or keep him/shield him from any of the reality of it. And know he will be scared, and may cry, this is ok too, let him let it all out. then work thru the tough bits together. Just keep in mind everyone isn't the same what maybe a 10 min speech to one may take years for another.

Upvote 0