Youth Activist Movements of the 2010s: A Timeline and Brief History of a Decade of Change

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
To mark the 21st Century making it through its teen years, the #20teens is a series from Teen Vogue celebrating the best in culture, politics, and style from the last decade.

So much has changed over the last 10 years, including some of the social issues that have made their way front and center onto the world stage. In many of these instances, the voices of young people are the loudest and most passionate, but no, that’s nothing new — young people have been at the forefront of social justice activism for years in the United States.

A big part of what sets this decade of youth activism apart from that history is that today’s youth activists have grown up with social media. Experts at navigating the digital space, this generation of young changemakers has been a force when it comes to amplifying their messages, frequently insisting on being heard by the world and the politicians they’ll soon be voting for (or against).

Unlike the youth from generations before, who often needed weeks of planning for activism because they relied on methods such as newspaper ads and phone calls to spread the word, today’s young activists have been able to build public support immediately with the click of a button. Simultaneously, they have redefined what it means to be an activist and proving that everyone’s voice is significant.

With 2020 approaching, during this particularly divisive moment in history, now is the perfect time to look back at some of the movements that have defined this decade and have changed — and will continue to change — the world.

Read the article for details on each of the movements but I'll list them here (in chronological order):
1. 2012: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and the Dreamer Movement
2. 2012: Fast-Food Strikers and the Fight for $15
3. 2013: Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, and Black Lives Matter
4. 2016: Standing Rock and NoDAPL
5. 2016: Brexit and the “Remain” Campaign
6. 2017: Trump’s Inauguration, J20, and the Women’s March
7. 2017: Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo
8. 2018: Parkland and March for Our Lives
9. 2018: Fridays for Future and the Climate Strikes
10. 2019: ICE and Never Again Action

Did you participate in any of the movements or otherwise support them?

In Canada we had massive Women's Marches in solidarity with the US to protest Donald Trump, and I went to them. :) I also went to several climate strikes this year, the largest in September when Greta Thunberg was here. :) It was extraordinary! Schools and the police coordinated so students could attend & they also tied in climate change education.

I'm sad this decade is coming to a close but I'm glad we got to experience the teens as teens. :)

• Winner
Reactions: Go Braves

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Like you, I attended several women's marches and also quite a few climate science strikes.
They were all close to my heart.

Up until recently, we've had governments that I could be proud of; even when they were conservative government. Four years before I was born there was a mass shooting and 35 people people were killed. It was a conservative Prime Minister who had the bravery to say - Thats it - You can all hand your weapons in. No-one gets a semi-automatic weapon ever again - and no-one gets to own any type of weapon unless they have a good reason eg security or a farmer.... and even those will have extremely tight checks and balances. Since then - zero incidences.

Thats the type of leadership I want.

Today we have impotent politicians, scared to make a decision in case it affects their re-election. They are insipid cowards who watch on while domestic violences rages unabated, climate change accelerates, and religiously driven prejudices escalate.

One day we will be in charge. Upon whom should we model ourselves - I'm suggesting none of them - I'm starting my own model.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Excellent thread topic!

Thousands gathered at rallies throughout the United States on the eve of the House impeachment vote to peacefully express their support of impeaching Donald Trump.

5df9a41bacb8fb4d3506e8e6

Upvote 0