You're now on the "Artificial Friend's List," buddy! Oh, Yeah!

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, you wanted to connect with her, even if just over the internet. But it went a little something ... like this: :cool:

Welcome to the 21st Century age of the 'New Socializing.' What'ya think?

Last edited:

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, you wanted to connect with her, even if just over the internet. But it went a little something ... like this: :cool:

Welcome to the 21st Century age of the 'New Socializing.' What'ya think?

What? ...too scary of a reality and a future to comment on, folks? ^_^ Well, ok, then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw that a while back. I think Sophia got the better of him.

Yes, she did--especially with that eye-wink. I wonder if the video was scripted, or if Will Smith was working with the outcome by way of impromptut humor? I guess we'll never know. But I thought the video was amusing...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, she did--especially with that eye-wink. I wonder if the video was scripted, or if Will Smith was working with the outcome by way of impromptut humor? I guess we'll never know. But I thought the video was amusing...

I wouldn't be surprised if it was unscripted.

It's interesting to see debates in the technology press about these robots. Some seem to be raising the bar on what "real" AI is supposed to be. But I think these folks are ignoring real philosophical questions about machine intelligence, questions that cannot be solved with technology.

As it is, computers are already smarter than human beings for many sorts of jobs or activities. It's just a question of developing this technology into actual products.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't be surprised if it was unscripted.

It's interesting to see debates in the technology press about these robots. Some seem to be raising the bar on what "real" AI is supposed to be. But I think these folks are ignoring real philosophical questions about machine intelligence, questions that cannot be solved with technology.

As it is, computers are already smarter than human beings for many sorts of jobs or activities. It's just a question of developing this technology into actual products.

Exactamente! .......the only thing I'd add it is it's probably also a question of how AI will be used as a technology for social engineering and social control.

However, in this thread, I'm actually just trying to focus on the consumerist usage of AI. With that in mind, I'm just waiting for that "diversity moment" in the future when I stand in line behind a couple out in public---perhaps while waiting to order at Starbucks---and the couple turns around and, lo and behold, one of the couple is a 'bot. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Exactamente! .......the only thing I'd add it is it's probably also a question of how AI will be used as a technology for social engineering and social control.

I think machines could potentially be genuinely superior to human beings, perhaps even spiritually so.

However, in this thread, I'm actually just trying to focus on the consumerist usage of AI. With that in mind, I'm just waiting for that "diversity moment" in the future when I stand in line behind a couple out in public---perhaps while waiting to order at Starbucks---and the couple turns around and, lo and behold, one of the couple is a 'bot. :rolleyes:

Of course, this idea of making an ideal artificial lover has been part of human consciousness for thousands of years, as evidenced by the Greek myth of Pygmalion and Galatea (a story, BTW, that many Church Father's loved to hate on as an example of those sick, sick Greek pagans). It's always been the dream of socially inept male nerds everywhere.

Have you seen the 2013 movie Her? I thought it was a cool film in terms of the ideas it explores: a romance film with a disembodied artificial intelligence. There's something creepily unsatisfying, or perhaps tragic, about the whole thing, of course, and I think that's part of the point.

• Informative
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think machines could potentially be genuinely superior to human beings, perhaps even spiritually so.

Of course, this idea of making an ideal artificial lover has been part of human consciousness for thousands of years, as evidenced by the Greek myth of Pygmalion and Galatea (a story, BTW, that many Church Father's loved to hate on as an example of those sick, sick Greek pagans). It's always been the dream of socially inept male nerds everywhere.

Have you seen the 2013 movie Her? I thought it was a cool film in terms of the ideas it explores: a romance film with a disembodied artificial intelligence. There's something creepily unsatisfying, or perhaps tragic, about the whole thing, of course, and I think that's part of the point.

Yes, I saw Her. It was a nicely done film, and like you, I felt it represented something tragic. And I think this is the central concern here: ...that we're dehumanizing ourselves all the while thinking, "Hey, I'm just expanding my options!" o_O

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you really think machines can be genuinely superior to human beings in a spiritual way? For the life of me, I can't see how, FD76. In what ways do you see this being the case, possibly?

I suppose it could be for some. I've always rather wanted an ideal lover (like my wife), rather than an ideal 'artificial' lover. What would be the advantage of a lover who is 'artificial.' Obedience to our every whim?

Upvote 0