You're a Virgin? Challenge Accepted!

PureWolf

Feb 11, 2006
✟12,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I'm 28 years old. I'll be 29 in August and I am a virgin. I decided at a young age to save myself for marriage out of my devotion to God. Some people say that is admirable or other things of the like, but I feel as if they are patronizing me. Some poke fun at me for it. One person in particular would be a female co-worker with 2 children by 2 different fathers and from what I've heard neither one of those fathers are worth a quarter and her mother steps in to help her where she really needs it. She tells me that getting some...you know what as she does not filter her words would make me into a whole different person. She tells me that it is 2017 (this was late last year) and that I need to get with the times. Though I feel that in reality she is jealous of me because I am not a single parent working 2 jobs (one of which being fast food).

My bigger issue is with men though. I've come across men who warm up to me and they make me feel special and drop blatant hints that they are interested or they just say it. After a while, if I decide I like him back over time he loses interest and moves on to someone else making them his girlfriend. I feel that it is because they find out I am a virgin so they look at me as a challenge. So they treat me how I would like to be treated and such, but once they see I wont budge as far as sexual matters go they give up out of the clear blue.

I want to keep faith that God has someone for me, but as I am nearing 30 I'm beginning to worry. My family even makes comments sometimes suggesting that I will be single my entire life. A guy who was 3 years older than I that I really loved back in my senior year of high school into my freshman year of college told me he liked me back in high school around mid November (my high school was inside a community college and he was a college student and a friend of a good friend of mine). We started messaging each other on AIM, talking at school, and even went out to the mall together one time and he bought me a Gloomy Bear plushie at Hot Topic and bought dinner at the food court. Sometime not too long after Christmas he lost interest and was talking to this new girl who transferred to my high school. In fact, he had started talking to a few different girls as if the time we spent together meant nothing. We continued talking through my freshman year of college. He would often try to convince me to sleep with him. Even though I wanted to, I kept telling him that I couldn't because of my beliefs. He would then tell me that abstinence wasn't worth it and that I need to try out sex to "see if I liked it." He also told me that no one would ever want to be my boyfriend if I wasn't willing to sleep with him. That sad part is that so far he's been right. Eventually, he ended up meeting and then getting with a good high school friend of mine (who was unaware of our history being that she graduated high school one year before I did) which was very hurtful. He is not the only one I've had this sort of experience with.

It seems like sex is so incredibly important to everyone. I don't want to break my devotion to God just to be in a relationship. Especially one that might not even end up becoming a marriage. But then I worry that that might mean that I will have to die alone. I try not to think about it, but the older I get the more concerned I become. It's a hard spot to be in since it seems that even most people who identify as Christian do not save themselves for marriage.

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matt 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Our journey of life is the same with the Hebrew in the dessert, many complain to God and do not believe in the Loving Hands of God.

Exodus 16:2 In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron.
3 The sons of Israel said to them, "Would that we had died by the LORD'S hand in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the pots of meat, when we ate bread to the full; for you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger."…

Exo 17:3 But the people thirsted there for water; and they grumbled against Moses and said, "Why, now, have you brought us up from Egypt, to kill us and our children and our livestock with thirst?"

Numbers 14:22
"Surely all the men who have seen My glory and My signs which I performed in Egypt and in the wilderness, yet have put Me to the test these ten times and have not listened to My voice,

Psalm 106:13
They quickly forgot His works; They did not wait for His counsel,

Psalm 106:25
But grumbled in their tents; They did not listen to the voice of the LORD.

Reactions: RoadtoJericho
Upvote 0

Shadow

Site Supporter
May 29, 2015
✟94,972.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So I'm 28 years old. I'll be 29 in August and I am a virgin. I decided at a young age to save myself for marriage out of my devotion to God. Some people say that is admirable or other things of the like, but I feel as if they are patronizing me. Some poke fun at me for it. One person in particular would be a female co-worker with 2 children by 2 different fathers and from what I've heard neither one of those fathers are worth a quarter and her mother steps in to help her where she really needs it. She tells me that getting some...you know what as she does not filter her words would make me into a whole different person. She tells me that it is 2017 (this was late last year) and that I need to get with the times. Though I feel that in reality she is jealous of me because I am not a single parent working 2 jobs (one of which being fast food).

I'm 28 year old dude and still a virgin. It is not a deliberate choice but something I haven't really focused on and put effort in to. I think sex is enjoyable (based on what I can do alone) and it may change your mind- but that is your decision. not mine.

As for "it is 2017 and you need to get with the times", that is the biggest load of ******** someone could say to you. The fact that something is acceptable does not mean it is right. It sounds like this is someone who really doesn't care about themselves enough to find a partner who really loves them and that has left a big hole in their lives, filled with screaming kids. I'm not sure how old they are, but all that puking, burping and diaper changing is not something people need to do alone, especially if you have two kids doing it together, running down the corridor putting crayon on the walls or arguing over who gets to share the toys. I don't have kids, but spending a day with my cousins is long enough. :D

My bigger issue is with men though. I've come across men who warm up to me and they make me feel special and drop blatant hints that they are interested or they just say it. After a while, if I decide I like him back over time he loses interest and moves on to someone else making them his girlfriend. I feel that it is because they find out I am a virgin so they look at me as a challenge. So they treat me how I would like to be treated and such, but once they see I wont budge as far as sexual matters go they give up out of the clear blue.

Probably True I'm afriad. But if those guys are only interested in using you to have sex, they really aren't the ones you want to be with anyway. They are probably doing it for the thrill and the excitement, (and yeah, they probably do think it's a challenge) but they can't take it anywhere else because they don't know how to. There is a contradiction is that those who obsess over having more sex often lose out on better sex. They know sex feels good but really aren't that adventurous because they aren't prepared to open up emotionally to a person- that would involve some real risk. Its possible that they've been hurt in the past, but given the toxic standards of masculinity, it's more likely they've done a share of hurting as well.

That being said, its still got to be unpleasant to get to feel intimate with someone only for it then to be poisoned by their manipulation. If you don't trust the male gender and have low expectations, that's understandable. Don't lose hope though: they are the ones with the problem- not you.

I want to keep faith that God has someone for me, but as I am nearing 30 I'm beginning to worry. My family even makes comments sometimes suggesting that I will be single my entire life. A guy who was 3 years older than I that I really loved back in my senior year of high school into my freshman year of college told me he liked me back in high school around mid November (my high school was inside a community college and he was a college student and a friend of a good friend of mine). We started messaging each other on AIM, talking at school, and even went out to the mall together one time and he bought me a Gloomy Bear plushie at Hot Topic and bought dinner at the food court. Sometime not too long after Christmas he lost interest and was talking to this new girl who transferred to my high school. In fact, he had started talking to a few different girls as if the time we spent together meant nothing. We continued talking through my freshman year of college. He would often try to convince me to sleep with him. Even though I wanted to, I kept telling him that I couldn't because of my beliefs. He would then tell me that abstinence wasn't worth it and that I need to try out sex to "see if I liked it." He also told me that no one would ever want to be my boyfriend if I wasn't willing to sleep with him. That sad part is that so far he's been right. Eventually, he ended up meeting and then getting with a good high school friend of mine (who was unaware of our history being that she graduated high school one year before I did) which was very hurtful. He is not the only one I've had this sort of experience with.

I'm an atheist so this is a tricky area for me. I don't have the experience navigating religious differences (although I expect I will have to). However, the fact your crush said you needed to try out sex to "see if you liked it" is a red flag because he was undermining your right to refuse consent. That is wrong. He then emotionally blackmailed you by saying no-one would like you if you weren't willing to sleep with him. That's also wrong and is not how someone you want to sleep with should treat you. You may feel pressured to have sex, but as a guy in college it is pretty likely that he felt pressured to have sex as well- given all the expectations and toxic masculinity of "performance" in the bedroom. It is not a sign of confidence to undermine a person's consent.

My thoughts on whether "sex before marriage" matters are going to be of limited value. As an atheist I can imagine this could be a source of tension, but there is a massive difference between thinking about a relationship and actually having one. No relationship is perfect and there are always bumps on the way- its the fact both sides of the relationship are willing to sort things out, talk to each other and make it work that counts. Our expectations are not a good guide because we have to learn to love people and how to be in a relationship. The problem is that first reactions are not always the right one, and we live in a society where men are expected to have more sex because it is construed to be about success and status. Women are therefore treated like garbage to hold up this "ideal" of masculinity of promiscuous, care-free, casual sex. In reality, sex is never exclusively a biological or mechanical process of two people physically interacting with one another; it is inherently a psychological and emotional thing and anyone who ignores it will get hurt or hurt others. It makes the subject of sex very difficult to talk about, especially for men who are taught that being "emotional" is a sign of weakness and vulnerability. The messages we get about sex and what (may) actually happen are in direct conflict with one another and it is tempting for guys to lie about the fact that this is a lifestyle where they can and do get hurt. Doing so would mean not conforming and will take backbone.

When you find a partner, I expect this will be a difficult conversation. difficult doesn't mean your wrong though as the idea behind "no sex before marriage" is essentially right: you only really want to share your bed with someone who you trust not to hurt and betray you and you can rely on. Getting in to bed with someone who is untrustworthy, unreliable and manipulative is a bad relationship irrespective of religion. Some people may fantasies about playing dirty in the bedroom, but perversely it actually requires them to be more open and honest with each other than normal relationships to make it work. There may be plenty of guys out there who have tried casual sex and decided it was a mistake. The big challenge is finding someone who is honest enough about the experience, with you and themselves, to defy cultural norms and try something new to make your relationship work. Any Guy willing to try that for someone they love is a keeper.

However, when it comes down to it- No means No. If a Guy can't accept that and then goes about trying to belittle you and your beliefs, and your right to consent, they are not really worth your time because they don't actually love and respect you.

It seems like sex is so incredibly important to everyone. I don't want to break my devotion to God just to be in a relationship. Especially one that might not even end up becoming a marriage. But then I worry that that might mean that I will have to die alone. I try not to think about it, but the older I get the more concerned I become. It's a hard spot to be in since it seems that even most people who identify as Christian do not save themselves for marriage.

You're 28. Dying alone is probably still many decades away, but obviously this is something painful enough to be an issue now. It doesn't help being reminded in a culture where both loneliness and the emotional side of sex are both taboo. Even without sex you want to feel loved and be intimate with someone. I've heard many horror stories about dating sites, (because it is so easy to prey on people who want to be loved) but it may be worth looking at Christian Dating sites or finding groups in your area where it is a priority. [I haven't had a first date yet, so you actually have more experience at this than I do.] I think the big issue is that you feel relationships are something outside of your control and that is a recipe for acute loneliness. The sense that this is an impossible mountain to climb is what is making you unhappy. What is so divisive if a pattern in which other people have made you feel like the pain and hurt they have caused you is your fault. That is not true.

There is a kind of myth that "more freedom is better" and it really isn't that simple. Sex is an area which has changed a great deal in the past few decades and, yes, people have more freedom to have sex. Originally that may have had some reason to it, but now it is something which is hijacked by corporate interests to become another commodity in a market. People become objects to "buy" and "sell" based on how "attractive" they are as a way of putting a "price" on relationships. The desire of the flesh runs rampant at the expense of the heart. Its horrific when you think about it. We don't automatically know how to use that freedom; there is often value in traditions as a guide for how things worked in the past and the destructive obsession with wanting to push aside any obstacle to our ability to make decisions is ultimately a mistaken one. We need those social supports and when individuals act alone it is easy to get lost. when they screw up, they don't have people to turn to for guidance. There aren't easy answers. Even someone who does not accept the idea of "No sex before marriage" has to be smart enough not to let the cultural dogma of casual sex and free love get in the way of living their lives to the full. In other words, you need to find someone who is honest enough to have this conversation with you and who will love you no matter what you decide and does not feel they have lost anything in letting you make your own decisions but is richer for sharing the experience. That is- and always will be- what makes relationships work.

Upvote 0

eighty_proof

Jan 7, 2018
Nowhere
✟758.00
Country
Nicaragua
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Are there no Christian men asking you out who share your values? Are you putting yourself out there for them to meet you? I find it hard to believe a Christian guy wouldn't be interested in you because you're a 28 year old virgin. If that's the case, there's something wrong with him, not you. Sex is important, God made us a sexual species, it's one of the ways we connect and are intimate with each other. It's all part of companionship though, and you can't have a companion in someone who doesn't respect your values, so never ever compromise on them to please someone else. Compromising who you are is never the way to go about forming real friendships and relationships, because what makes those real is both people being their authentic selves first.

Upvote 0

PureWolf

Feb 11, 2006
✟12,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are there no Christian men asking you out who share your values? Are you putting yourself out there for them to meet you? I find it hard to believe a Christian guy wouldn't be interested in you because you're a 28 year old virgin. If that's the case, there's something wrong with him, not you. Sex is important, God made us a sexual species, it's one of the ways we connect and are intimate with each other. It's all part of companionship though, and you can't have a companion in someone who doesn't respect your values, so never ever compromise on them to please someone else. Compromising who you are is never the way to go about forming real friendships and relationships, because what makes those real is both people being their authentic selves first.

I'm sure there are, but I get the feeling that there are very few. Even most people who identify as Christian are not abstinent. =(

Upvote 0

frater_domus

Faith is all that matters.
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2018
Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
26 and still going. In fact, never been in something I'd call a relationship. Sure, there were a few...things(?) happening, but that was way before I found my way to God. Right now, I simply do not have the time and emotional maturity for commitment. The kingdom of heaven is more important ;)

Upvote 0

shrinking_violet

Feb 13, 2018
SF South Bay
✟15,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our society builds up a massive lie about sex. But there is nothing on this earth that could ever possibly feel anywhere close to as good as how society makes sex sound. Not even sex.

In my personal history, the feeling I had back when I was a Christian that the spirit of the Lord was inside me still makes the top five for moments of pure ecstasy. And I've had a lot of really great sex since then. If you're feeling like you're missing out on some ultimate joyous [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], just know that you've probably already experienced something pretty close to whatever your happiest happiness is. Yet you still continue to be a human the next day with your real human life.

Sorry if this is getting kinda depressing, but sex isn't removed from your real life. If you feel lonely now, sex isn't going to fix it. If you feel awkward trying new things now, your first time will probably be just as awkward.

Imagine if you had given into having sex with one of those guys, what would have happened right after? These men who don't have enough respect for you to take a no without manipulation and trying to guilt you, would not suddenly gain respect for you. Maybe they would have stuck around, but you'd be in a nightmare relationship where you constantly throw away your deeply held convictions for a few words and stuffed animal. Maybe they wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't stick to what they claim to value, and then you'd still be alone. You made the right call not to have sex with those jerks.

Upvote 0

SakraNomoko

Feb 6, 2018
Houston
✟19,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Celibate
If you want to meet Christian single guys, go to a church's singles group (preferably of your local church). Everyone has their flaws, so if you really want to settle down, don't expect someone perfect. A lot of couples I know got married from being in a single's group.

Don't buy into that "toxic masculinity" nonsense. If you go into a relationship looking for faults and thinking males are all toxic, then it'll become a self-fulfilling prophecy and you'll experience what you might not have if you didn't have such assumptions.

If temptation isn't a problem and you really don't want to go through the hassle of finding a guy, staying single is fine, too. In this Internet age, you really don't have to worry about being alone in the older ages, as there are billions of people to talk to.

Reactions: RoadtoJericho
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Dont worry Im a 27 yo dude and Im celiabate and has been until now which makes a virgin too.
Im called to follow in the footsteps of Saint Paul and Mama Mary and staying celibate.

I suspect its my heart that would give in and i would probably love this world to much if I had kids and a wife.
The way I see it marriage is for the toughest and im not one of them hence God wants me elsewhere.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HopefulHepatica

Beauty from Ashes
Apr 24, 2018
West Coast
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can understand from the perspective of being a woman in her late 20's and starting to worry that we're losing precious time. It's long been my desire to marry and have children, but I also don't usually conform to the dating ways of the world, so it complicates relationships. BUT that doesn't mean we should give in or lose hope. We shouldn't be discouraged by the actions of those around us, it is unfortunate in this day & age that a lot of young adult Christians don't practice abstinence (but I also understand the pressure, you'll see below). It doesn't mean that we should give up what God wants so we can get what we want.

I remind myself of the countless stories in the bible of the couples, particularly women, who were blessed with marriage and children even at later stages of life. It may not sound ideal to us, but remember that God's timing is perfect and in all things, He has a plan and His is going to be so much better and more fulfilling, then anything we can imagine or hope for on our own. He knows what's in our hearts, He loves us and will honor it if He finds it good. You're so blessed when you honor Him by following His way, first.

Take it from me, I made the mistake of losing my virginity to my first serious boyfriend (and only boyfriend really). I was convinced we were going to be together forever and he was the person God picked for me, etc. Only for things to not work out in the end, he broke up with me, there were all kinds of difficult complications that came up. In the end it's definitely worth waiting for, and I have returned to being celibate and reconciled my past with God. My heart is scarred by that experience, because the relationship did not work out in the end and it was incredibly painful of a loss...but God really carried me through. You can save yourself that pain by just waiting, and trusting. There's something powerful in the build-up, and God truly does honor our patience.

I like to imagine it in the sense of time, there's so much going on in the world that these things have to be fulfilled first, in order to sway events and people in the direction of connecting with us. Imagine that he (the person God has for you) is going through something right now and God is working in him so he's ready when he meets you. He may not even be living in the area where you live, so things have to happen in his life to get him there. Things like that :)

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sure there are, but I get the feeling that there are very few. Even most people who identify as Christian are not abstinent. =(

There certainly are but the BIG issue is most are not trying to meet anyone. I know several. They work like slaves and when they aren't working, they are sleeping or spending time with family (often thought to be appealing) but often criticized. Some are video game addicts too but otherwise are great all around guys. I am celibate because of medical issues and I work long days by choice (also my profession being in television merely requires it) and I come home basically to sleep. My mind rarely thinks of being alone until days when I don't work and I am tired and don't do anything (or jump onto this forum). :idea: I am a virgin being 28 going on 29 this September but as I stated, celibate here... Not trying to get into something hat will lead to disappointment and humiliation so I just avoid it all around. "Guard your heart" "Keep it pure".

Upvote 0

Ichthymom

Jul 26, 2018
Pontiac
✟9,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hey there,
I admire your commitment to purity. Don't ever break it for anyone. Pleasing Our Lord is so much more important than giving in to a guy's wishes.
My husband and I sometimes talk about pre-marital sex and our mistakes. We both agree that we shouldn't have done what we did. We both feel ashamed and regretful to not wait. He has told me, honestly, that he lost respect for me after our first time and our dating years were HORRIBLE bc of our actions (and we are both believers). It's the temptation that makes us fall into that sin.
If I could anything over, it would be save myself for marriage. Sex is so intimate. Only share it with your spouse. God intended it to be that way. There are plenty of guys out there who are in the same boat as you. I hope all goes well.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Honestly I had a similar experience a few times, and I found my solution was to simply make it clear from the start. I am not going to have sex, until we are married. I also have been known to tell women "I am not looking for a girlfriend. I'm looking for a wife."

And many turn away right then, because that isn't what they are looking for.

And that's the best you can hope for, is that it thins the heard of people looking. Then, hopefully the only people that remain, will be the ones wanting the same thing as you.

I'm single and 40 by the way. Come on over for lunch, and we'll talk. (I'm kidding.... so tacky).

Upvote 0

Valtan1

Jan 10, 2019
Blue Eye
✟8,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm 25 and I'm a virgin, and I've never kissed a girl either. I have a learning disability so I have a difficult time with interpersonal relationships with girls, and my experience with girls are very limited because I haven't had much opportunities to be around them and interact with them in my lifetime. I don't mind being a virgin but I at least would like a kiss someday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟697,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I worried about the same thing, but I found a man who was as committed to purity as I. It was hard, and it was hard to wait for Him. It was hard to wait for the Lord's timing, as I had thought I would have been married and having kids 5 or 6 years ago. I wouldn't trade it, though. Keep your chin up, and keep praying for the Lord to guide your steps to the right one.

Upvote 0