Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Not a question, but a comment. Do you know of Keith Green? He was a Christian and a Jew. His music and story helped me through the hardest part of my life.

Here is a song by him:

Upvote 0

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Not a question, but a comment. Do you know of Keith Green? He was a Christian and a Jew. His music and story helped me through the hardest part of my life.

Here is a song by him:

He was a legend in his time. Usually what I hear from Messianic Jewish musicians. I didn't become a believer in Yeshua till after he died. So I was not influenced by his music. But everyone who I've heard mention him had nothing but good to say. And usually has a story tied to his ministry. A profound individual for sure.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He was a legend in his time. Usually what I hear from Messianic Jewish musicians. I didn't become a believer in Yeshua till after he died. So I was not influenced by his music. But everyone who I've heard mention him had nothing but good to say. And usually has a story tied to his ministry. A profound individual for sure.

It was my mother who introduced me to this man. She got it first hand as I was not around while he was alive. We would frequently have his music playing during my time as a child. I have always loved music and Keith Green certainly was a phenomenal musician and had a very prophetic ministry. I listen to his music often because it's good music and I feel moved by it.

Reactions: TreWalker
Upvote 0

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It was my mother who introduced me to this man. She got it first hand as I was not around while he was alive. We would frequently have his music playing during my time as a child. I have always loved music and Keith Green certainly was a phenomenal musician and had a very prophetic ministry. I listen to his music often because it's good music and I feel moved by it.
Like I said, never a bad report. The man was definitely gifted.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Like I said, never a bad report. The man was definitely gifted.

The only criticism I can say, that isn't actually a criticism is that sometimes he would get so impassioned that he would mess up on the keys a bit, but it's not like anyone actually cared about that!

Upvote 0

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
What does it mean that Jesus taught as "one with authority, not like the scribes"?
Matthew 7:28-29
What it surely does not mean is that Yeshua rejected the scribes wholesale. As some here tend to teach. Not even understanding the doctrinal differences between certain sects of Judaism in the 1st century.

If Messiah was overruling and annulling the Jews authority to interpret and be the bearer of Torah (Deut 4:44-45), why would he adhere to their teachings and customs? Two sections of verses come to mind; Matthew 7:6 and 23:1-3 as well as 23:39.

First, Matthew 7:6. If Messiah is in the middle of deconstructing the alleged false teachings of the Torah teachers why is he quoting their doctrine?

“Do not give what is holy to dogs or throw your pearls before pigs; otherwise they will trample them under their feet, then turn and rip you to shreds.​

Yeshua was very familiar not just with the written but the oral Torah.

Any kodashim that become trefah are not redeemed, since we do not redeem kodashim to feed it to dogs. (m.Temurah 6:5). This statement is quoted verbatim in several places in the Gemara outside of its direct discussion of this Mishnah (b.Pesachim 29a-b, b.Bechorot 15a-b), suggesting that this teaching has an axiomatic or proverbial use.

If you have something that is fit to be offered but it develops a wound or a defect, what do you do with it? Yeshua says you don’t take it and throw it to the dogs because there are other areas of sanctification that it could be exchanged for. This is a concept that is found in the Mishnah, so it’s important to understand that this is Yeshua quoting directly from oral tradition, not from the written Torah. It’s the Mishnah that explains this concept.

So a lot of people who dismiss the oral Torah they shoot themselves in the foot because right out of Yeshua’s mouth he verifies and supports the oral Torah when it comes to the kobanot system. However Yeshua used it’s (oral tradition's) broader implications as a form of exegesis.

Upvote 0

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention the New Testament was the first form of oral Torah that was written, even before the Mishna was compiled along with the Gemara into the Talmud. And every time someone claims to follow only the Torah according to HaShem they in fact are creating their own oral Torah.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
@TreWalker,

I have a question, but do not take this the wrong way as it is a question and not a criticism. How do we handle books like the books of Enoch as they are not quoted "as scripture" in the NT? There are other things here like what we do with the Apocrypha as well. Thank you.

Upvote 0

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
@TreWalker,

I have a question, but do not take this the wrong way as it is a question and not a criticism. How do we handle books like the books of Enoch as they are not quoted "as scripture" in the NT? There are other things here like what we do with the Apocrypha as well. Thank you.
First I try to understand the origins in which they were written, and then I would try not to impose any preconceived bias into what you are reading. The Book of Enoch is not a classic Jewish text and has pretty much been lost to Judaism. Many parts parallel Jewish midrash (study) while other parts are almost foreign to Judaism and appear more aligned with Christian thought. And much speculation about which sect of Judaism scribed it. Modern Judaism associates them with the Essenes who were not followers of Pharisaic Judaism. Which explains why the topics diverge from traditional Jewish teachings.

You like end times prophecy, right? :)

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You like end times prophecy, right? :)

I do not know if I would say "like" is the right word, but they are certainly important and utmost care must go into understanding them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I ask a general question to all here.

I have tried to understand this with no answer that satisfies. The question is why do we still sin if we have been "born again"? I do not understand what purpose God has for our sin. The best answer I have gotten for this is that it is a means through which we are called to repentance, but this does not take away the imperfection that is sin.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What was this relation to Jesus as the "Son of God" as he is described in the beginning of the book?

When light hits someone, they absorb certain spectrums while other spectrums bounce off of them in order to make it back to our eye, so we don't actually directly see someone, just the light that has bounced off of them, yet we still recognize what we see as them, and this is analogous to the relationship that the Son has with the Father. The Son is the image of the invisible God (Colossians 1:15) and the Son is the radiance of God's glory, and the express image of His nature (Hebrews 1:3), so the Son is what we seen when we look at the Father, who is the glory being radiated from the Father, yet we still recognize what we see as God. The Son expressed only the Father's nature through His actions and what that looked like was doing good works in sinless obedience to the Torah, so the Torah is the way (Jeremiah 6:16-19), the truth (Psalms 119:142), and the life (Deuteronomy 32:47), Jesus is the personification of the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father but through him, if we had experientially known him, then we would have know the Father also, whoever has seen him has seen the Father, and that he is in the Father and the Father is in him, or else believe him on account of the works themselves (John 14:6-11). In other words, the Son put who the Father is on display by expressing His nature through his works in sinless obedience to the Torah. The Son of God is the essence of the phrase "a chip off of the old block", where his character or nature resembles that of their parent, which is why we are adopted sons of God when we partake in expressing the divine nature through our obedience to the Torah (2 Peter 1:1-12) and why those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to the Torah are not children of God (1 John 3:4-10).

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I ask a general question to all here.

I have tried to understand this with no answer that satisfies. The question is why do we still sin if we have been "born again"? I do not understand what purpose God has for our sin. The best answer I have gotten for this is that it is a means through which we are called to repentance, but this does not take away the imperfection that is sin.

(CLV) 1Jn 3:9
Everyone who is begotten of God is not doing sin, for His seed is remaining in him, and he can not be sinning, for he is begotten of God.

(CLV) Mt 5:48
You, then, shall be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
(CLV) 1Jn 3:9
Everyone who is begotten of God is not doing sin, for His seed is remaining in him, and he can not be sinning, for he is begotten of God.

(CLV) Mt 5:48
You, then, shall be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Thank you for your post. As Dr. Michael Brown would say, "We fail to meet the expectation God has for us even on our best day."

I know I am sinful simply by reflection. I cannot keep myself from sinning though I know I should not sin. Paul talks about his own sin in Romans 7, that he does what he does not want to do and doesn't do what he wants to do. This does not answer why we sin though. I have a conflict here... Christ calls His elect, in fact, if Abraham did not exist then neither would Yashua, son of David. We know God has a plan and He keeps to that plan. Yet we sin. How divinely does God work then to bring about his plan even in our sin?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your post. As Dr. Michael Brown would say, "We fail to meet the expectation God has for us even on our best day."

I know I am sinful simply by reflection. I cannot keep myself from sinning though I know I should not sin. Paul talks about his own sin in Romans 7, that he does what he does not want to do and doesn't do what he wants to do. This does not answer why we sin though. I have a conflict here... Christ calls His elect, in fact, if Abraham did not exist then neither would Yashua, son of David. We know God has a plan and He keeps to that plan. Yet we sin. How divinely does God work then to bring about his plan even in our sin?

חָטָא chata: to miss, sin

תּוֹרָה torah: direction, instruction, law

The Western mindset is built on Greek philosophy, which is abstract.
In contrast, the Hebraic mindset is concrete. In other words they think in terms of what can be perceived through the senses.

So from a Hebrew perspective the torah, or law, might be thought of as a direction, as toward a target; whereas sinning might be considered as straying from that direction.

Thinking as a Hebrew helps to take away the confusion that can be caused from Greek philosophy

I find it interesting that Yahshua called himself the way דֶּרֶךְ derek.

The Hebrew word for repent is teshubah. The root of that word is שוב shub. It means to return.

The first place we see that root, is in Genesis 3:19

(CLV) Gn 3:19
By the sweat of your brow shall you eat your bread, Until you return to the ground, for from it were you taken. For soil you are, and to soil you shall return.

(CLV) Ec 12:7
And the soil returns onto the earth just as it was, And the spirit, it returns to the One, Elohim, Who gave it.

When YHWH created man, he said that it was good. Man, אדם, turned away from YHWH.

YHWH is the target, if we are walking on the path, or in the way, we are returning to YHWH. If we sin, stray from the path; we will miss the mark. We have lost our direction. We must follow the light to return to the path.

That which we put between us and the way to the Father, is what separates us from the Father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
@HARK!,

Surely, sin is the absence of Good, hence, missing the mark as we are corrupt due to original sin! That is why I would say our Way, however we try, is not perfect, as there is only One who is perfect in Way, and that is Yashua.

The question of God's Sovereignty vs Free Will is very difficult for me to get my mind around, however, from what I have learned so far, I see it this way: That our Free Will works within God's Will rather than outside of it. As by the evidence of the word κύριος existing, that being Lord, which means "the authority to decide (I would argue fate)" and that we call Jesus Lord, that in our profession, the Lord is generous to His servants and makes them small "l" lords. As such, we work on behalf of God with our Free Will and no thing happens without God Willing it Himself. That is where the conundrum is. We still miss the mark.

Thanks for answering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The question is why do we still sin if we have been "born again"
Because in Judaism it's a process, not a state of being. We are all traveling up and down the ladder. It's the way HaShem designed the process.

Why are you still dirty even though you have stepped in the shower? Because you haven't completed the cleaning process. Christianity looks at it as being changed in the twinkling of an eye, but that transformation is in regards to our heavenly reserection not the process of sanctification.

Is Yeshua King now? If so, why is his kingdom not here on earth, yet fully.? Because as scripture shows it's a process.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Because in Judaism it's a process, not a state of being. We are all traveling up and down the ladder. It's the way HaShem designed the process.

Why are you still dirty even though you have stepped in the shower? Because you haven't completed the cleaning process. Christianity looks at it as being changed in the twinkling of an eye, but that transformation is in regards to our heavenly reserection not the process of sanctification.

Is Yeshua King now? If so, why is his kingdom not here on earth, yet fully.? Because as scripture shows it's a process.

Thank you.

Yes, Sanctification happens in all aspects of our lives. If it were not so, we would not be saved. I find immersing myself in Scripture is good for the spirit as it ingrains deep into the soul and draws us closer to Him. What Christian can say they are saved if they do not have the Holy Spirit working in their life? This is why Sanctification is important. Are we drawing towards or away from God as the soul dictates? If a person's spirit has been changed, then their soul draws them toward God, not away from God. It is a process, most assuredly.

Upvote 0

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
What do these mean?
Kedoshim are holy ones, in Judaism they can be the angels or the righteous. We understand Messiah as HaZadik or the Righteous One. Judaism also recognizes him as HaBen Elokim, the son of G-d. Similarly Torah and the Prophets speak of beni elohim in relation to Israel. In fact in Judaism the term Son of G-d or beni Elohim is attributed equally to both Messiah and Israel.

The Mishna is the first part of the Talmud. Our sages insights on just how to ....laasok, busy ourselves in the Torah. The Gemara then comes along and further defines the Mishna, which together compromise the Talmud. Which does not supercede or add to the Torah. No more than the Prophets do with their writings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0