CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I never really heard of the first game. But for the last few weeks I'd been watching on youtube people like SeaNanners play a game called Payday 2 (it was in beta at the time). It had a interesting twist where you play as robbers doing simple things like bank heists all the way up to big complicated heists like stealing paintings (mind you there's no real story really).

Upon seeing these videos I bought it and have been playing it the past few days. Its really amazing and well thought out. Things are customizable and it has very rare items that unlock over time. And by rare I mean it could takes months just to unlock something you really want because its random. Unlike most games which give you instant gratification.

With my info about it aside, what is everyones view on a game like this where you are bad guys from the start? There is some swearing in the game, especially when you shout for people to get down to the floor. And if you choose to you can also shoot civilians (but you lose ALOT of money for doing so). And obviously you do shoot police, swat, FBI...etc. Theres no blood really aside from some poorly textured blood spatter. And you can zip tie people to make them hostages for trade to get your teammates back.

At first I was unsure about playing it but then I realized I've played games like Call of Duty, Counter Strike and others where you are a bad guy often times and a anti-hero. I think what makes it harder for people in this game is its based in reality. We all use banks, we all are used to people robbing others. So it sort of strikes home for some and they can't play it.

For me I don't feel convicted and I really love this game. Most everyone plays it as best as they can too without shooting anyone whos a civy. Or even in many cases without killing at first (until things get hectic) since you can knock out guards.

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yep thats my feeling. Sometimes bad is good...well only in games of course. In the Mass Effect series my character was always almost evenly split between Paragon and Renegade. Not because I was bad or good but because I use logic and realism to determine my path as I would in real life. Although in real life whatever he reason I would not be killing someone unless I had no other choice such as protecting my family against someone robbing the house.

Theres more info on this game. It does not have any single player or campaign mode. Its made up of 30 missions, some of which are the same general scene but at night or with different things to do. You can play the missions offline with only 2 bots (instead of 3) and you basically will never win because the bots do nothing to help other then absorb bullets for you.

I'm at level 47 now and getting XP is hard to do at this point since it requires alot to level up. I'm working on a second branch of skills to turn combatants into allies for a match that I yell at to surrender. Where as most go for things like C4 or heavy armor, my first skill is 70% luck in getting the most rare items I can on the game! :)

Oh the game is only $30. But I recommend it in on Steam because if I understand right its not out on shelves anywhere.

Upvote 0

justhere1

May 29, 2013
✟17,538.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was very close to preordering the collector's edition. I didn't pick the game up and decided to just pre-order GTA V instead. I only played the Payday demo but I was drawn into it. I backed out of Payday 2 because it seems to be heavily co-op focused and the missions seemed very hard to complete. I wouldn't mind trying out the first Payday though but I don't like to download games digitally. I'm still holding out in hopes of a bundled edition of Payday 1 and 2 for $40 one day. It probably won't happen but at least I can dream, right?

Upvote 0

Reeniee

Jul 22, 2012
✟9,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I'm playing Pay Day 2 with a group of friends at the moment. It's pretty fun, but quite grindy! Be prepared to do the same missons quite a few times to unlock better gear and skills.

It also feels very very difficult to do the missions 'stealthily' without setting off the alarm, but it means the few times we do manage that it's really fun!

It's a fun game if you have a group to play it with, not sure I'd be enjoying it nearly as much without a group to go through it with. :)

Upvote 0

justhere1

May 29, 2013
✟17,538.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm playing Pay Day 2 with a group of friends at the moment. It's pretty fun, but quite grindy! Be prepared to do the same missons quite a few times to unlock better gear and skills.

It also feels very very difficult to do the missions 'stealthily' without setting off the alarm, but it means the few times we do manage that it's really fun!

It's a fun game if you have a group to play it with, not sure I'd be enjoying it nearly as much without a group to go through it with. :)

According to one review I read, the AIs are practically useless if not in co-op and they only make for a good "meat shield". I think that was the major point that turned me away.

Otherwise, it looks very fun. :)

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah its definitely not a SP game and doesn't really have a story to support one. You can "Stealth" the missions on SP, even with the terrible AI bots and get a ton of XP and cash. But it takes time of course when being stealthy. Every day they are releasing new patches. The recent one was 1.5 gigs. lol. So if you like MP then its great.

I think they made it so its sort of a game like Counter Strike except your more then just models with bad guy or good guy skins. It is very fun with almost all people. But as stated it will take months if not years to get all the rare stuff. Which I sort of like. And with a ton of DLC being made I am looking forward to more levels.

Upvote 0
B

BelievingIsObeying

tjjackson11 said:
My 15 year old son is wanting this game. What are you thoughts on some of the warnings that the game has. And I've read some about "making meth" in the game. Is this true? Have an opinion? Thanks in advance.

There is a mission in the game to make meth. It's just something to do in a game, not much different than drilling a safe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

BelievingIsObeying

tjjackson11 said:
Thanks for the reply. Any other specific warnings I should be aware of as a parent? Thanks again.

Some adult language, shooting cops, one mission trafficking cocain (just carrying duffle bags), four player missions, cooperative. I can't tell you what to be aware of because it's just a game to me, entertainment, but I know some people tend to think that it causes bad behavior.

Upvote 0

Reeniee

Jul 22, 2012
✟9,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Some adult language, shooting cops, one mission trafficking cocain (just carrying duffle bags), four player missions, cooperative. I can't tell you what to be aware of because it's just a game to me, entertainment, but I know some people tend to think that it causes bad behavior.

I'd say that there is quite a bit of Adult Language in this game. I'd probably be okay with a responsible 15 year old playing this game, but it's certainly not a children's game.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah its not a childs game. At 15 though its up to the parent. My parents wouldn't let me play the original Mortal Kombat as a teen. But around 16 I started playing more mature games anyways since they noticed it didn't seem to affect me much. Remember the whole point of the game is your a bad guy stealing, killing people, drug dealing, revenge killings....etc. Some of the masks are offensive such as the ball gag mask (BDSM fetish).

If your interested heres a video of the game in action including what normally happens on a mission. This includes the audio so you even hear what happens:
PayDay 2 - Bank Heist Gameplay (How not to rob a bank) - YouTube

Mind you its played online so often people are using microphones and the language is very adult oriented.

Upvote 0

tjjackson11

Aug 25, 2013
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks guys for your time responding and your thoughts. I appreciate the open/honest communication. Just weighing it out...he is a responsible young man and understands that it's just a game as well. He doesn't play these type of games online unless I know his friends. I've heard it's difficult to play/beat without an online team. Thanks...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums