✟1,354,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 1:1-3 ESV

“Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power.”

God Speaks to Us

In Old Testament times, God spoke to his people through the prophets, who spoke God’s exact words to the people. They were God’s voice to the people. They spoke to the people regarding where they were at that time, and in very practical ways which they could apply to their daily lives. And some (or many) of their words are recorded for us in the Old Testament.

In New Testament times, with the coming of Jesus Christ into the world, God spoke to the people through Jesus, who is/was God the Son. He also spoke God’s exact words to the people because he is/was God. And he also spoke to the people right where they were living, according to their circumstances, and in very practical ways which were to be applied to their daily lives.

For those of us who have trusted in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives, who have died with him to sin, and are dying to sin and to self, and who are living to the Lord, Jesus Christ now lives within us in the person of his Holy Spirit. And the Holy Spirit speaks God’s exact words to our hearts. And we also have the written word (the Bible) to speak God’s words to us.

“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you” (John 14:26).

“But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come” (John 16:13).

“For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God” (Rom 8:14).

Some people deny the Holy Spirit and they think we can only hear God through his written word, but we are given the Holy Spirit to teach us all things, and to guide us into all truth, and to lead us in the way that we should go, not just in ways that are true for all of us collectively, but in ways that are specific to us personally.

The Holy Spirit is not going to speak to us in ways that are opposed to God and to his word, or that lead us to do things that are against the teachings of the New Testament apostles. So, we must be discerning about what we say the Holy Spirit is leading us to do or regarding what we believe we are hearing from the Holy Spirit, for false spirits are out there, too.

But if we aren’t being led by the Holy Spirit in very personal and specific ways which apply to our lives today, and if we aren’t hearing from him, and if we aren’t following his lead and letting him lead us into what to do and in what to say, then we are just operating in the flesh. For, God is speaking today to our circumstances today, and we need to hear what he is saying.

We do not serve a dead God or a dead religion nor is the word of God dead, but it is living and active, still speaking to our hearts today and making God’s word very practical and applicable to our lives in the here and now. And the Lord wants to speak to us through his Spirit, and he wants to speak through us, too, by his Spirit, to encourage others in their walks of faith.

Hebrews 1:3-9 ESV

“After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.

For to which of the angels did God ever say,

“You are my Son,
today I have begotten you”?

Or again,

“I will be to him a father,
and he shall be to me a son”?

And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,

“Let all God's angels worship him.”

Of the angels he says,

“He makes his angels winds,
and his ministers a flame of fire.”

But of the Son he says,

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has anointed you
with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”

Again, Jesus Christ is God, the second person of our triune God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He is our creator God who made us. He is completely sovereign over all that he has made, and he is in control over all things – over everything which is going on in the world, in the church, in our cities, and in our lives personally. We can trust him fully!

Jesus Christ died on a cross about 2000 years ago, and then he was resurrected from the dead on the third day. When he died, he who knew no sin became sin for us in order to put our sins to death with him so that we could die with him to sin, and so that we could live to him and to his righteousness in the power of God’s Spirit now dwelling within us.

Jesus Christ hates wickedness and he loves righteousness, and that is why he died on that cross, to deliver us out of our slavery to sin so we could become slaves of God and of his righteousness, and so that we could now live godly and holy lives pleasing to God. For he died so that we would no longer live for ourselves but for him who gave his life up for us.

And this is the message that he wants us to be giving out to the people of this world and to the people who gather together weekly under the name of “church,” for many people are professing the name of Jesus, but it is lip service only, for they have not submitted to Christ as Lord, they have not left their sinful lifestyles behind them, nor are they obeying him in practice.

So, we must tell them that Jesus died to deliver us from our slavery to sin so that we can become slaves of God and of his righteousness because many who profess faith in Jesus are still living in bondage to sin. And if we walk (in conduct, in practice) in sin, we are going to die in our sins. We will not have eternal life with God no matter what we profess with our lips.

[Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 6:44; Jn 14:23-24; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; Eph 4:17-24; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Pet 2:24; 1 Co 6:9-10, 19-20; 2 Co 5:10, 15, 21; Gal 5:16-21; Eph 5:3-6; Gal 6:7-8; Rom 2:6-8]

Here I Am, Lord

By Daniel L. Schutte

I, the Lord of sea and sky
I have heard my people cry
All who dwell in dark and sin
My hand will save
I who made the stars of night
I will make their darkness bright
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Here I am, Lord
Is it I, Lord?