your thoughts on aliens/ extra terrestials?

HiddenMe

Staying Strong
Mar 10, 2014
US
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi everyone. I believe in aliens and at the moment I am unable to find that one quote in the bible that says something like "among the rulers of the worlds was Satan" so that is saying Satan rules this world so others rule other worlds. I have also read and seen enough evidence to believe in them. What do you guys think about them?

Edit okay not evidence. I meant testimonies and signs. Not pure evidence...

Last edited:

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone. I believe in aliens and at the moment I am unable to find that one quote in the bible that says something like "among the rulers of the worlds was Satan" so that is saying Satan rules this world so others rule other worlds. I have also read and seen enough evidence to believe in them. What do you guys think about them?

Angels did show up on the earth as physical human. So, I think the idea of alien is not totally strange. Everything the imaginary alien can do, angel can do better.

Upvote 0

Old Ned

Oct 23, 2013
Canada... Originally England.
Visit site
✟8,418.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
To think we are the only life forming planet in the universe is narcissistic.

What do I think they look like or how do I think they act?... Not a clue, could be any manner of things. But since everything is made of the same base elements then the chances are astronomical that there is no other life in the unimaginably vast Universe.

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
(Emphasis mine)

Statistically, yes they likely exist in some form.

I'm interested in what sort of "evidence" you have for them though.

Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My opinion.....if the Good Lord could create Earth and all life on it, why couldn't he do it anywhere else? I believe he can do anything he wants anywhere he wants anytime he wants. Does life elsewhere exist? I have no idea, but since there are billions of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy alone, and billions of other galaxies out there, and maybe even more than one universe (I'm no physicist, so don't understand that one, but...) I think it's very possible God created something else besides us (or maybe even many somethings).:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have no idea whether aliens exist, but I am sure that we will never be shaking hands with them if they do exist. The distances involved are too vast.

There are various theories about how that distance could be circumvented.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There are various theories about how that distance could be circumvented.

You mean like worm holes?

"The super truth is that the classical Einstein equation implies that wormholes require matter with negative energy densities, and the energy densities of all known classical fields are positive. Short of invoking quantum fluctuations in spacetime geometry, the future domain of application for wormholes is probably entirely fictional." (James Hartle)

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You mean like worm holes?

"The super truth is that the classical Einstein equation implies that wormholes require matter with negative energy densities, and the energy densities of all known classical fields are positive. Short of invoking quantum fluctuations in spacetime geometry, the future domain of application for wormholes is probably entirely fictional." (James Hartle)
The universe is vast, and I like to fancy that sufficiently exotic matter yet exists.

There's a more statistical workaround than wormholes and such, though: the recent surveys of planets and the discovery that planets are actually bewilderingly common means that the distances might not be so vast as once thought. There's an Earth-like planet 20 lightyears away, which means that, travelling at c, one can get there in 20 years. 20! Only a quarter of a human's life! We could even have conversations at that scale.

Moreover, if we extrapolate that the average distance between life-harbouring Earth-like planets is 20 lightyears, then it becomes frighteningly feasible that we can visit intelligent planets - and that intelligent life can, and perhaps has, visited us.

(I used to watch alien horror/thriller movies with the safety net of 'It's OK, they could never really come here'. I just destroyed that net. Excuse me while I hind under my blanket.)

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The universe is vast, and I like to fancy that sufficiently exotic matter yet exists.

There's a more statistical workaround than wormholes and such, though: the recent surveys of planets and the discovery that planets are actually bewilderingly common means that the distances might not be so vast as once thought. There's an Earth-like planet 20 lightyears away, which means that, travelling at c, one can get there in 20 years. 20! Only a quarter of a human's life! We could even have conversations at that scale.

Moreover, if we extrapolate that the average distance between life-harbouring Earth-like planets is 20 lightyears, then it becomes frighteningly feasible that we can visit intelligent planets - and that intelligent life can, and perhaps has, visited us.

(I used to watch alien horror/thriller movies with the safety net of 'It's OK, they could never really come here'. I just destroyed that net. Excuse me while I hind under my blanket.)

Well, first of all there is the small matter of achieving the speed of light, or anything close to it. Secondly, you would need to find volunteers for that 40 year round trip. Thirdly, even if you could find volunteers with the required level of insanity, providing them with life support systems for that length of time would almost certainly be an insurmountable problem. The space ship would have to be large enough for them to have a small farm on board. Fourthly, if intelligent life was that prevalent, SETI would surely have found it by now.

Merely getting humans to Mars and back is going to represent enough of a challenge for there to be the possibility of it never happening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan Jarvis

Quoth The Raven
Mar 24, 2013
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟16,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Old Ned

Oct 23, 2013
Canada... Originally England.
Visit site
✟8,418.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, first of all there is the small matter of achieving the speed of light, or anything close to it. Secondly, you would need to find volunteers for that 40 year round trip. Thirdly, even if you could find volunteers with the required level of insanity, providing them with life support systems for that length of time would almost certainly be an insurmountable problem. The space ship would have to be large enough for them to have a small farm on board. Fourthly, if intelligent life was that prevalent, SETI would surely have found it by now.

Merely getting humans to Mars and back is going to represent enough of a challenge for there to be the possibility of it never happening.

Also remember time dilation. As I understand it the Large Hadron Collider runs particles at 99.9% the speed of light, they actually exist for 1 second, but at the speed of light they exist for 20 seconds to us observing them.

This means if we send someone off on a 20 year there, 20 years back (40 year round trip) travelling at 99.99% the speed of light... while for those travelling only 40 years has passed.... but by the time they get back to Earth ... 800 years will have passed (my calculations are not acurate but simply based on a ratio of 20-1 )... so a 40 year round trip at near light speed will result in their return so much later than when they left that human kind may not even exist anymore, let alone anyone they knew still being alive.
Those waiting on their return would almost be like those guys from the Hitch Hikers Guide.... and the information they bring back IF humans are still around would probably have been figured out anyway.
This is just one inherent problem with sending people off into space at distances only achievable by travelling at near the speed of light.

Scary huh :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, first of all there is the small matter of achieving the speed of light, or anything close to it.
Achieving near lightspeed is a problem for the engineers. I'm an ideas man, dangit!

Secondly, you would need to find volunteers for that 40 year round trip.
We have a big planet, plenty of people. Who wouldn't want to see aliens?! This is mere logistics, however.

Thirdly, even if you could find volunteers with the required level of insanity, providing them with life support systems for that length of time would almost certainly be an insurmountable problem.
Cryostasis, or generational starships.

The space ship would have to be large enough for them to have a small farm on board.
No reason why not. Generational starships are a staple of science fiction, as well as semi-serious proposals for the ultimate future of space exploration - relativity may require such long-term voyages.

Fourthly, if intelligent life was that prevalent, SETI would surely have found it by now.
Not if it was looking in the wrong place with the wrong equipment.

Human travel to Mars is the exact opposite of impossible: it's inevitable. Sufficient funding and refined technology could easily get men to Mars and back. There's no real reason why we couldn't, except for the sheer cost. As science and technology march inexorably on, it'll become cheaper and easier to travel further.

We're already on the brink of commercial spaceflight. Commercial!

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Human travel to Mars is the exact opposite of impossible: it's inevitable. Sufficient funding and refined technology could easily get men to Mars and back. There's no real reason why we couldn't, except for the sheer cost. As science and technology march inexorably on, it'll become cheaper and easier to travel further.

It primarily comes back to life support systems again, but there is also the sobering thought that half of the unmanned missions to Mars never arrive.

We're already on the brink of commercial spaceflight. Commercial!

Only if you have got Bill Gate's bank account, and can afford to pay a small fortune for 15 minutes in space.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It primarily comes back to life support systems again, but there is also the sobering thought that half of the unmanned missions to Mars never arrive.
Technological and logistical limits, neither of which are insurmountable. Mars is just a more distant Moon, so if we can get to the latter, we can get to the former.

Only if you have got Bill Gate's bank account, and can afford to pay a small fortune for 15 minutes in space.
But it's nevertheless something that couldn't be done 10 years ago.

30 years ago, all the money in the world couldn't buy you more than 56 kbps of Internet speed. Nowadays a mere £15/month will get you that amount thousandfold.

10 years ago, state of the art phones were manual button affairs with tiny black-and-white screens - now we all have computers in our pockets.

Do you know what the next big technological revolution is? 3D printing. Cars revolutionised travel, anaesthetic and antibiotics revolutionised medicine, phones revolutionised communication, the Internet revolutionised information exchange, and now 3D printing will revolutionise mass industry.

It's the future baby! Anything can happen! Don't put the limitations of today onto the future - inevitably, technology will make things far cheaper and easier than we can even imagine.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Technological and logistical limits, neither of which are insurmountable. Mars is just a more distant Moon, so if we can get to the latter, we can get to the former.

Mars isn't just another moon. You could get there and back in a few days, and the problems were only those which money and Newtonian mechanics could easily solve. As I remember it, NASA have set themselves a target date of sometime in the 2050's for a manned flight to Mars, so even they don't think it is like a trip to the Moon, only a bit bigger.

If I was being optimistic, I would give it a 50:50 chance of happening.

But it's nevertheless something that couldn't be done 10 years ago.
It has been in the planning for ten years or more, so they must have had some idea that it could be done; if only for people with more money than sense.

It's the future baby! Anything can happen! Don't put the limitations of today onto the future - inevitably, technology will make things far cheaper and easier than we can even imagine.
That may be true to some extent, but sooner or later we will run into the limits imposed by the laws of physics on the one hand, and our ingenuity on the other hand.

For example, they have stopped trying to make microprocessors go faster, because they have hit the problem of heat dissipation. So now they are putting multiple cores on a chip, but there has to be a limit to the number of transistors which can be got onto a chip - if for no other reason than that there are a finite number of atoms in a silicon wafer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I like the idea that we are just one of many intelligent forms in the universe.

I eagerly await evidence for that.

Upvote 0