Your status on facebook vs your posts on CF...

dluvs2trvl

What You See Is What You Get!
Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious...do you guys post one thing on facebook and then post another on CF. What I mean is do you put on a happy face on facebook or myspace or whatever other social networking sites you use but then come to CF and really tell what is going on in your life? Do you see CF as a safe place to really share your heart?

I have been thinking about this for a bit. For me, there does seem to be a difference. I'm not sure why because everyone on facebook is obviously my friend but there are times where I won't really say what I'm feeling on FB but I feel safe enough to say it on CF. Even though they are both out there in internet land for all the world to see....go figure. :confused:

Does anyone else do that?

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I use FB very rarely anymore, but I don't act one way there, and one way here. There does seem to be an excess of bubbly-giggly-fuzzy-girliness on FB. It makes me want to gag, frankly. I guess it's a teen thing, but it seems to ooze into the adult women, too, and it makes me feel icky.

Upvote 0

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious...do you guys post one thing on facebook and then post another on CF. What I mean is do you put on a happy face on facebook or myspace or whatever other social networking sites you use but then come to CF and really tell what is going on in your life? Do you see CF as a safe place to really share your heart?

I have been thinking about this for a bit. For me, there does seem to be a difference. I'm not sure why because everyone on facebook is obviously my friend but there are times where I won't really say what I'm feeling on FB but I feel safe enough to say it on CF. Even though they are both out there in internet land for all the world to see....go figure. :confused:

Ooh, nice topic.

It took me awhile to "show the new me" on FB. It started the day conviction was heavy about "deny me, and I'll deny you". It wasn't an "insecure" thing like I wanted to justify it as. I was me being embarrassed of the gospel. :o It was me not loving my friends and family enough to share with them. It's not about us.

I was like this ^ (op), only I was more upbeat on CF. Now, well I just want my life to reflect itself the same way in all areas. I want a consistancy. You know what? I've never heard soo many proverbial crickets in my personal life on FB...ever. Even my "christian friends/family".....nothin. I don't even get "thumbs up so and so likes this". At first people were acknowledging with even just that option, but now....not a thing. :) Dont know. They are wonderful people, but I think they think I've gone "extreme"..more than what is needed. I think, that they just don't know WHAT to think and are not willing to support something, for fear of "not looking extreme". This, is a LONELY walk...I'm very quickly learning. :)

I'll keep praying I can fulfill my words with the right walk. Don't know what else to do or say other than that. In other words, give it up to God. No one else will ever be able to fulfill your life. Let Him consume you, and soo much of our every day worries (like ^ this) become irrelevant. :hug::hug:

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have been thinking about this for a bit. For me, there does seem to be a difference. I'm not sure why because everyone on facebook is obviously my friend but there are times where I won't really say what I'm feeling on FB but I feel safe enough to say it on CF. Even though they are both out there in internet land for all the world to see....go figure.

I'm getting like this. I know it's because I don't know any of you here so i'm a little more open, which is absolutely bizarre when you think about it. Plus unleashing my thoughts here avoids the awful responses from people who feel that they are not only obliged to respond/know everything they possibly can/read far too much into far too little and make a gigantic molehill out of it, but they also then repeatedly mention this offline and start telling other people things they've interpreted from your facebook to others which you had no idea they could possibly interpret from them D:

I'll step off of my soapbox now. Suffice to say my facebook is in privacy lockdown and CF is facing the brunt of my "oooo, ramble ramble type" personality.

Edit: I also feel it's necessary to say that I do know a lot of drama queens, like myself, who enjoy nothing more than creating drama from something as simple as
Xavia is looking forward to this weekend :].
Which can be twisted to mean everything and anything, all of which gets spread across the faculty (not so bothersome, most other staff members are adult enough to ignore it), students (who definitely aren't so mature), family (some of whom are just ... yes) and people who irk me and yet I cannot bring myself to delete them because beneath their tendency to be awful, awful gossips they're actually rather good friends :|

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I normally only use Facebook for photos and to post a once-a-week status update. But mine are all informing people of what I am doing, such as I just changed mine to "looking forward to canoeing with family this Saturday but not about waking up so early!" and 99% of my statuses are the same kind of thing. Just updates on what I am actually doing or did.

In general I do not spout my feelings on FB. Nor do I on CF. Many, many times I feel like responding to someone in less than a patient or loving manner here but I always resist. This is not the place for it and my attitude is never appropiate no matter the circumstances if all I want to do is tell people to get over themselves ;)

Sometimes I wish I could use CF to unburden myself of some issues (I abuse the Shout Out thread to do this occasionally) but in general, unless you have an actual interest in me and my life, I don't share personal stuff with just everybody LOL

Reactions: kevlite2020
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm more open on fb. I don't think my political thoughts or articles would be of any interest here and I'd have people ranting about liberals. I also post personal, yet typically mundane, stuff there because I have the support of family and friends. I really don't feel the need to censor myself that much on fb. Here I know I have to be careful if I want to avoid someone trying to debate* with me. The only censoring I do on fb, I also do here. I'm careful not to share too much of how I feel because it's fb and not a diary. I don't think people want to read emo stuff that's probably better left to IMs, PMs, or a journal. But I also don't post happy stuff if I'm not happy. I just post neutral stuff then, same as I do here.

*and by debate, I mean argue with no intention of an exchange of ideas, only forcefully sharing their opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stephanieamber

i am gonna love like you've never seen.
Jan 6, 2009
#upperleftusa
Visit site
✟14,418.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
For the most part, I try to not post anything emotional on either site. somehow I felt like this was a safe place to do it, and I tried and decided it's not.

People that are my friends can know about the ups and downs of my life, but it's not something I want everybody to know about me; not that I want to present myself as happy-go-lucky all of the time, but I see no point in sharing things over the internet.

At this point, now that I have tried it and decided against it, I cannot see how anybody does it.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I don't have my religious views on Facebook. I don't have my political views on there anymore, either.

At the same time, I've become fans of left-leaning politicians and publications (Barack Obama, Pierre Elliot Trudeau, Gavin Newsom, etc. Is Newsweek really left leaning? I guess compared to FOXNews it is, but after that gay actor editorial I'm not so sure) so my views on here - I go into way more detail here. It's too much effort to join groups and argue on Facebook - are pretty obvious to the people on my Friend's list.

Also, it's a lot easier to be ballsy with opinions when you're hiding behind a screenname. I'd rather everyone not associate Trashy Vandertramp (me :p) with one viewpoint on a Facebookm Discussion board.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

Ah! I'm going to tell you again how much I've missed you here! :hug:

Now to answer the OP.... Hmm. I don't really post many status updates on FB (which will probably change from here on out, not really sure), but the ones that I typically post have to do with finding out what other people are up to (like, "hey, does anyone want to go to this concert?") or to update them on my current medical status, things like that. I would say I post more there due to that. I feel like those people care more about me (because they actually know me), so obviously I'm keeping them in the loop that way. But, I've been using FB more for e-mail lately. Maybe it's cuz I like seeing the little red icons on the top. :pray:

Upvote 0