• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Your problem with Islam.

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by elephunky, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Rationalt

Rationalt Newbie

+87
    Deist
    Married
    The verse 10:94 was for muhammad.The surah 10 was meccan where muhammad was trying to win legitimacy and hence tried to cozy up with "people of book".Also during that period he didn't have any fighting strength.

When muhammad became strong he brought up verses that say "people of book" are perverts .

OTOH,quran explicitly says following muhammad is following Allah.Nothing about MUSLIMS following other prophets .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. WoodrowX2

WoodrowX2 Member

+47
    Muslim
    Married
    US-Democrat
    You are over looking that surah 5 is from Medina

(The Noble Qur'an, 5:48) “To thee (Muhammad) We sent the scripture (Qur'an) in truth confirming the scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety.”

3. Rationalt

Rationalt Newbie

+87
    Deist
    Married
    No, I didn't overlook surah 5.

You should actually read the entire surah starting from ayat 12.That medinan surah pours hatred on Jews and christians BUT, military action was not yet proclaimed untill surah 9 where jews and christians are to be subjugated by force (9:29-30) .

Here is the link to surah 5 Center for Muslim-Jewish Engagement

The funny thing is if allah guarded (5:48) the previous scriptures then there is no need for new scripture.As usual Muhammad forgets about it in later surahs.

4. WoodrowX2

WoodrowX2 Member

+47
    Muslim
    Married
    US-Democrat

Surah 5 was revealed over a period of time about 6-7 years after the Migration to Medina, The conditions had become somewhat dangerous for the Muslims.

The Surah covers several topics each has to be understood seperatly. Fron the Tafsir of Maududi. (I dislike his political views but of the modern scholars he appears to be the most historically knowledgable)

From his Tafsir

SOURCE

I still come to the conclusion that all the Prophets(PBUT) are to be obeyed

5. simplegifts

simplegifts Guest

+0
  6. LoveBeingAMuslimah

LoveBeingAMuslimah Newbie

+455
    Muslim
    Private
    What Islaamic states? The corrupt dictators either propped up or supported by the West?

First of all, why should Muslims say it's wrong? I have no need to apologize for or condemn something I didn't do. I don't ask all white men/women or all Christians or all Republicans/Democrats to apologize for something that some members of their "groups" did.

But even asking for condemnations is ridiculous. Muslims globally are no more responsible for the actions of ISIS than British Jews are for Israeli war-crimes. During the Gaza offensive no one asked British Jews to apologise for the Israeli bombs that killed hundreds of children. This is despite the fact that British Jews do go and fight in the IDF.

Demanding that Muslims condemn ISIS is xenophobic because it implies that they are sympathetic to the terrorist group unless they state otherwise. It implies all Muslims are responsible for the actions of terrorists. And there’s a double-standard because other minorities aren’t held to the same standard.

The demand that more Muslims ‘must condemn ISIS’ is racist and ridiculous | Liberal Conspiracy

Having said that, you're absolutely wrong in your claim. Many Muslims have condemned ISIS, including Muslim fighters (i.e rebels) in Syria.

It's more like stating the facts. We (well, our Western governments) support terrible people but are surprised when different groups of people (including religious ones) decide to fight against them?

They get away with all sorts of things like dropping atomic bombs, drones, depleted uranium, etc.

But then the religious affiliation of those criminals is not important because....they're not Muslim!

7. lt11

lt11 Newbie

+3
    Christian
    I find it hard to believe that Muslims don't want to harm non muslims because muslims are permitted to lie to non believers they call it Taqiyya and Kitman. Since lying is permitted how do we ever really know what Islamic intentions are.

8. Rationalt

Rationalt Newbie

+87
    Deist
    Married
    It doesn't take much to uncover the truth.

Check the quranic tafsir contents posted above.

The highlights:

The Muslims have been warned to guard against the errors of their predecessors; they should follow the Right Path and avoid the bad example of the Jews and the Christians, who broke their Covenants and went astray into evil ways. They, in their turn, have been admonished to give up their wrong ways and accept Islam. 11 - 26

The Islamic sword is perpetually hanging. The Quran makes muslims feel everybody else is evil and they have the right to Attack them.

It is no surprise those terrorist muslims quote quran before engaging in jihadi activities.

9. steve_bakr

steve_bakr Christian

+195
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    It is not my impression that what you reference is to be taken as universal statements against Christians and Jews. Many statements may reflect conflicts in the Medina period, so I have trouble with the idea that Suras from Medina "abrogate" those from Mecca in some universal sense. If anything, the earlier Surahs are more universal and may even be said to abrogate later statements that were made in the midst of specific conflicts.

10. steve_bakr

steve_bakr Christian

+195
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    My understanding of the original intention of Taqiyya is that it permited Muslims under the pain of torture to say what the torturers wanted to hear in order to save their lives.

It was never intended to be a license to lie to non-Muslims. All wars involve strategies of deception, which is another subject, but my understanding is that Muslims are to be honorable in their dealings with non-Muslims.

11. simplegifts

simplegifts Guest

+0
    Not only is the Quran lacking in completeness it was not put in chronological order. Without some outside input people do not know for sure what verses correspond with which activities of Mohammad.

Did Uthman intentionally confuse the issue? Did he want a book on war and conquering and not a book on spirituality?

How much of the real Quran did he destroy?

You can not say what you think. It was Mohammad who said later verses were the better verses and not the converse. But again because of the incompleteness of the Quran we do not know which verses were truly revealed as the later verses without outside records.

Is Uthman at fault again purposely confusing chronology issues?

12. steve_bakr

steve_bakr Christian

+195
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The order of the Quran is approximately from the longer Suras at the beginning to the shorter Suras towards the end. It is an imposition of someone else's preconceptions to expect the Quran to be organized chronologically.

There is a lot of historical material that provides important background information for the chapters in the Quran.

Well, yes, I can have a position regarding abrogation and express it. In my view, many have distorted and abused the conventional view of abrogation to the detriment of Islam's basically peaceful nature.