Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟723,684.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
For those that have a problem with Islam and Muslims. Is it the first world, third world or entire scene of islam/muslims that you object to?

I have no problem with Islam what so even. What I have issues with are Fundamentalist...actually any Fundamentalist, be they Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Humanist, Hindu, Buddhist, Eco terrorist, Liberals, Conservatives, what ever. They are the ones that I see causing division and hatred between people.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As long as the equal worth and dignity of men and women is respected, I have no issues with Islam that come to mind immediately. But the only time I'm going to cover my head again is if there is an infestation of flying lice, and I have yet to see one of those.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My only quarrels with Islam are things that will eventually be ironed out with time and advancement of the areas where Islam is the predominant religion.

Islam will accept women as equals?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I have a problem with religious extremism/fundamentalism, regardless of the religion in question.
The media sometimes create the impression that contemporary Islam tends to be far less capable of debate, criticism and satire than other religions (case in point: Muhammad caricatures in sweden, the man hunt on Salman Rushdie), and that renders the whole religion somewhat suspect to me, but if there are believers out there who are NOT like that, I have got no problem with them whatsoever.

What I do not like about Islam in general, however, is its rampant sexism, its rigid legalism, and a legal system that looks positively archaic and barbarian from the vantage point of the 21st century.
A religion that oversexualizes the female body to the point where even her hair (or facial features) have to be hid in public, places women in total subjugation and dependency to their husbands or male relatives, has strict rules for virtually any act you can think of, including wiping your nose or using the toilet, declares music and figurative art to be evil (along with wine and bacon), and embraces a concept of justice that involves chopping off hands and heads....

Well, let's just say that it's not for me.

Upvote 0

wn123455

Sep 14, 2013
✟16,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nailed it.

Also, they don't like dogs. It's very unfriendly to dislike man's best friend.

Your Daily Muslim: Hasan Küçük | Your Daily Muslim
Apparently, poisoning dogs in Spain isn’t enough, now Muslims are attacking people walking their dogs | BARE NAKED ISLAM
SPAIN: Muslims carry out jihad on dogs | BARE NAKED ISLAM
Some people will probably consider Bare Naked Islam and Your Daily Muslim as hate sites so I will try to get a more mainstream media source tomorrow. Bare Naked Islam does however link to a mainstream media news website on it's articles.
Under Siege? Spain Resists Islamic 'Invasion' - World - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GabrielWithoutWings

Strolling through Naraka
Jul 25, 2006
Gainesville, Georgia
✟9,703.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For those that have a problem with Islam and Muslims. Is it the first world, third world or entire scene of islam/muslims that you object to?

-It's very difficult to separate Islam from the culture around it
-Islam has forgotten its golden age and (a lot of the time) has regressed to fundamentalism that's so rigid, people with new ideas are threatened or killed
-It's iconoclastic. I love sacred images and Islam has removed a great deal of the sexiness and aesthetic beauty out of religion (unless you're counting calligraphy which can be rather beautiful)
-No bacon and no dogs? I'm from the American South. You don't tell me that I can't have dogs and bacon. Period.
-Islam seems to be one of those religions that sits around waiting to get offended at anything and everything.
-Islam glorifies wealth as a sign of God's favor. This is recipe for disaster and is the same thing as Joel Olsteen's ridiculous prosperity gospel.

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Nailed it.

Also, they don't like dogs. It's very unfriendly to dislike man's best friend.

You may want to look up a little about Salukis and Afghan Hounds. Saluki is an Arabic word and the approx meaning is "My Gift from Allah"

There are restrictions in owning and raising any animal, including dogs. One of these being they can not be sold for profit. They have to have a purpose and not kept as an enslaved piece of property. they must be treated with kindness, respect and dignity. There is a lot of responsibility to own a dog or any animal.

The mistaken belief we "Hate" dogs come from a misunderstanding of a Hadith actually 6 Ahadith. 6 men wrote of the time Muhammad was speaking to a group and one person asked if there were any animals it was permissible to kill on sight. He answered there were 3 and named them.

Five of the witness wrote that Muhammad(saws) said it was permissible to kill 3 animals and named them one of them being Mad(Rabid) Dogs.
One witness left out the Mad and just wrote Dogs. That is considered a weak Hadith as 5 witnesses contradicted him. Yet, that is the hadith many non-Muslims seem to quote and see it as proof we hate dog's.

Of Course we hate dogs. Pictures of us prove that:

falcon.jpg~original

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ2SbCvtmo0[/youtube]

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't have a problem with Muslims. I have a huge problem with the poisonous Salafi Wahhabi sect of Islam that Saudi Arabia so virulently promotes throughout the world, however. But I know most Muslims hate Wahhabis. The Wahhabis have created so much hatred and violence in the world.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are restrictions in owning and raising any animal, including dogs. One of these being they can not be sold for profit. They have to have a purpose and not kept as an enslaved piece of property. they must be treated with kindness, respect and dignity. There is a lot of responsibility to own a dog or any animal.

A knowledgeable Muslim lady on here once told me that dogs cannot be kept as pets simply because they are dirty, lowly animals.

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A knowledgeable Muslim lady on here once told me that dogs cannot be kept as pets simply because they are dirty, lowly animals.

I have had some salafi tell me the same thing. I also had some salafi tell me there is a Hadith that says Satan created dogs.

You will find difference of opinion among Muslims about almost everything.

However, I believe you will find the majority of us believe dogs can be owned especially if we have a purpose such as a Guard or warning dog, a working dog in any capacity, a hunting dog etc.

In Saudi quite a large percentage own Salukis.

Some Fatwas regarding dogs:

A blind Muslim student yesterday became the first person to be allowed to take a guide dog into a UK mosque.
Mahomed-Abraar Khatri, 18, can now enter his place of worship in Leicester with canine companion Vargo after the Muslim Law (Sharia) Council UK issued a fatwa in response to his request.
The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association described the decision as "a massive step forward for other blind and partially-sighted Muslims". Previously, all dogs were banned from mosques because the Islamic faith historically sees them as being for guarding and hunting only. However, the position was softened because guide dogs could be classed in the "working dogs" category. The animals are still barred from entering the prayer hall for the sake of hygiene but are allowed to guide their owners to the area where shoes are placed, the fatwa says.

SOURCE

Question:

Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. Is it permissible for a Muslim to own a dog? Is there any restriction on keeping the dog inside the house? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Answer:

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake. May Allah reward you abundantly for your interest in knowing the teachings of Islam!

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“A dog can be owned for purposes such as the following:

1. A trained dog for hunting. Remember in Islam we are only allowed to hunt for food; there is no such thing as hunting for fun, for we are not allowed to kill or torture animals or drive them out of their habitats for the fun of it.

2. A trained dog as a guide. This would be the case if a person is blind and he/she has no choice but to keep a dog for essential services. In this case, it is permissible for him/her to keep a dog inside the house once it has been trained for service, but it is still recommended that the dog have its own sleeping arrangement.

3. A dog trained for police duties.

4. A guard dog to guard houses or property.

5. A dog used by farmers to shepherd cattle and sheep.

We are, however, not allowed to keep a dog as a pet, since it is not a very clean animal. How often have you come across the nasty sight of dogs taken for a walk licking their own excrement? Isn’t it disgusting to see their owners kissing the mouth of such animals after such incidents as if nothing happened? Would you kiss the mouth of your own baby if he were to do the same? Think how many parasites and microbes may be hiding in their mouths.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has spared us from being contaminated by such filth when he ordered us to stay clear of the saliva of dogs. If we ever come into contact with a dog’s saliva we must wash the spot seven times, the first of which should be with sand or dirt. It is also possible to use a bacterial soap instead of sand or dirt.

In conclusion: Don’t contemplate taking a dog home as a pet. If, however, you do need to keep a dog for any of the reasons given above, then you may do so. But take every precaution not to have contact with its saliva, and also arrange for a separate living space.”

SOURCE

Dogs in Islam

Traditionally, dogs have been seen as impure, and the Islamic legal tradition has developed several injunctions that warn Muslims against most contact with dogs. Unfortunately, many Muslims have used this view to justify the abuse and neglect of dogs, even though cruelty contradicts the Qur'an's view that all animals form "communities like you." We are pleased to present several articles examining the place of dogs in Islam.
Animal Abuse and Welfare in Islam
by Dr. Ayoub M. Banderker (BVMCh),
veterinary surgeon

Animal abuse, cruelty, and/or neglect form part of the many social ills plaguing the Muslim community.

Last Ramadaan, I wrote an article highlighting the phenomenon whereby misinformed Muslims took their dogs (and/or cats) to the animal hospitals or mobile clinics during Ramadaan, to have them put to death by lethal injection. The reason given by the majority of these Muslims was that Islam forbids them to keep a dog. Also encountered was when an animal that had been ill for a prolonged time and the disease had progressed to an almost terminal state was it only then brought in for veterinary attention. When asked why they waited so long, the Muslim owner would use Islam as a reason, stating that it is not permissible to touch a dog. This still happens.

Alhamdulillaa, during this Ramadaan, there has been a significant reduction in the number of Muslims who have gone to animal welfare organizations to have their animals put to death.

However, cruelty and neglect of animals still occur daily throughout the world. The approach of the holiday season sees many animal welfare organizations get an influx of dogs and cats brought in to be put to death during this time. Healthy, happy animals belonging to Muslims are also brought in to be put to death. This is a very disturbing and un-Islamic action. If one cannot afford to feed, shelter, and maintain one’s animals, and a new home cannot be found for them, take them to one of the many animal welfare organizations where there is at least a chance of the animal’s finding a new home. The real tragedy is that many of these Muslims still do this in the name of Islam and openly express such ignorant views. This contributes to propaganda against Islam. When a non-Muslim is cruel to an animal, it is considered an individual’s action, but when a Muslim does it, non-Muslims see it as an Islamic practice.

I cannot overemphasize the need to have one’s cats or dogs sterilized. Having pets sterilized would help to prevent unwanted litters, thereby reducing the amount of unwanted animals. It is much better than abandoning the animals, which many Muslims are also guilty of. Abandoned pets cannot fend for themselves, with the result that they starve and experience untold suffering, cruelty, and an eventual, agonizing death.

All animals are a part of Allah’s creation and belong to Allah (swt). Muslims are custodians of this beautiful planet. How we care for animals and what we use them for we will be accountable for to Allah (swt). All of creation is Muslim, submitting to Allah’s will—only man and jinn are granted a freedom of choice. So yes, even animals are Muslim.

In the Holy Qur’aan (S4:36) we are advised to do good to “… what your right hands own …” According to the commentator Imaam Faghruddin al-Rhazi, this refers to all those who have no civil rights, including animals. Thus, the verse lays down the duty of being good toward animals.

All things “…have been created for you ...” for our benefit (S2:29). It thus becomes our duty to protect, employ with dignity, and promote the well-being of any animal in our care. In this way, we are expressing our thankfulness to Allah (swt) for His blessings in a practical manner. (Qur’anic Foundations and Structure of Muslim Society, Mawlana F.R. Ansari, vol. 2, pp. 125-126)

Every animal has been created for a purpose. It is a duty upon every human being to respect Allah’s creation. If we ill treat any of His creation, we will be questioned about it on the Day of Judgment. Sayyidina ’Umar (ra) was very concerned about the animals during his rule as Amir or head of the Islamic empire.

SOURCE

Also in Surah al-Kaf the people of the cave had a dog living in the cave with them. There was no condemnation of this.

Upvote 0