Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I loved La La Land, it was so much fun! I want it to win for everything. I think there's a good chance it will. They're my favourite actors. I love him.

I liked Hacksaw Ridge but it was GORY. Moonlight was good, it's kinda slow imo but really good. The actors were seriously amazing. You def. need to be more liberal I think to like it bc of what it's about. I recommend. I thought Hidden Figures was good. Not like super wow great but definitely really good. Lion was super wow great! I haven't seen the rest of them yet.
Eta Oh I did see Florence Foster Jenkens. Meryl Streep was fantastic but tbh I don't want her to win only bc she's already the actor who's won the most Oscars of anybody in history. I think it would be great if somebody who never won one won this year. It would be kind of fun to hear what she has to say in her speech if she does win again tho!

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Best motion picture of the year nominations
"Arrival"
"Fences"
"Hacksaw Ridge"
"Hell or High Water"
"Hidden Figures"
"La La Land"
"Lion"
"Manchester by the Sea"
"Moonlight"
Hacksaw Ridge
What that one soldier did, under the most grievous of circumstances, is remarkable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I agree with Tallyguy about Denzel Washington. He deserves an academy award if he hasn't got one already.

I think he won 1 already but I'm not sure about that either. I saw this movie from the 90s with him & Tom Hanks in it. Philadelphia. AMAZING. I cried but it was so worth it. I think Tom Hanks won an Oscar for it, he deserved it if he did. Denzel Washington was really great in it too.

I liked Gibson as an actor. He was good in Braveheart and one in the eightees called "Gallipoli".

I've never seen Gallipoli. I watched Braveheart when it was on TV. I think a lot of the violence was edited out which is good bc I don't like that stuff too much. It was good!

Upvote 0

alsughasoughaiuyfygh

Site Supporter
Aug 26, 2015
Unknown
✟681,328.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My prediction is that the drama movie about an alcoholic, mentally ill, illiterate black woman coming to terms with her sexual orientation during the Holocaust will sweep the awards.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Winken: "Hacksaw Ridge: What that one soldier did, under the most grievous of circumstances, is remarkable."

If you can tolerate the necessary gore, then "Hacksaw Ridge" is the best movie for a Christian to see. Prejudice against Aussies like Mel Gibson (and perhaps bettercallpaul) will prevent it from winning Best Picture. But I consider this true story the best movie in the past several years. You could here sobbing in the theater when I saw it. When it debuted at the Vienna Film Festival, it received a 10 minute standing ovation. btw, I'm not a pacifist like the movie's central character.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't watch much movies, I mainly watch TV series.
Movies are so short --- only one and a half hours, there's not much time for the story to develop.
So short and yet so expensive.

The TV series I watch are all on DVDs, not on TV. Yes, all I watch are on DVDs. So I have the control
on what I watch, I never get to watch any boring (and sometimes offensive) ads.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We didn't see everything...we saw Hidden Figures, LaLa Land, Hacksaw Ridge, Manchester by the Sea, and Lion.

My choice: Hidden Figures, closely followed by Hacksaw Ridge. LaLa Land would come in third.

Performances: Andrew Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge was astonishing. Also saw Casey Affleck and Ryan Gosling. Garfield's role was the most challenging, and he met the challenge--perhaps even exceeded it.

In the female nominations, I only saw Streep and Emma Stone. Neither Gosling nor Stone can sing--and if they didn't have the vocal chops, even with echo chambers and auto tune, they didn't belong in a musical. Years ago, they would have dubbed her songs with Marni Nixon's voice--as they did in "West Side Story." Streep, as always, "became" the character.

I did love Olivia Spencer in Hidden Figures, and even though I am a huge Viola Davis fan, I would love to see Spencer get the Oscar.

• Informative
Upvote 0