Your Prayer Rope - Praying the Jesus Prayer- A talk by Greek Orthodox priest Fr. David Smith (Video)

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I really enjoy listening to him. He is so down to earth about what it's like for us (not necessarily holy) humans and he seems to be without any false modesty.

Upvote 0

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praying the Jesus Prayer - A talk by Greek Orthodox priest Fr. David Smith :

This is a great video, thank you!
If anyone feels so inclined to offer advice, I'd like to understand how the Jesus Prayer differs from the "vain repetition" "
"Greek: βαττολογέω
Transliteration: battologeō"
warned against in Matthew 6:7?
I have asked this question and researched, and the answer seems to be that it is not vain repetition because we are praying the words sincerely and from the heart.
This confuses me, because I also understand that we should say the prayer while doing tasks (where sincere focus can't be maintained, at least by me)
I find that it's much easier to concentrate on the prayer while seated and without distractions, but even then my mind wanders continually, and so again, I'm repetitiously repeating the prayer much of the time. :help:

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, it is repetitive but it's not vain though.

I think that it's taken from the prayer of the publican who was justified because he humbled himself :

• The Parable of the Pharisee and the Publican

Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.'

And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

• Luke 18:9-14

Reactions: Brighid
Upvote 0

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, it is repetitive but it's not vain though.

I think that it's taken from the prayer of the publican who was justified because he humbled himself :

• The Parable of the Pharisee and the Publican

Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.'

And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

• Luke 18:9-14

I just want to bring this up again in case anyone who has an answer missed it.
It is still repetition. The Greek word translated as "vain repetition" is a single word, so it doesn't make sense to me to divide the word into two and say that only half of it is valid. How do people justify this in their minds?
I'm sorry to harp on this issue, it's just that it continues to bother me and makes saying the Jesus prayer difficult for me, as this concern continues to creep back up.
Also, "pray without ceasing" doesn't really put my mind at ease, as I understand that to mean to be constantly aware of God's presence and in communication with Him, but I don't believe that we must actually be praying with words verbally or mentally in order to do this.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Look how many times we say "Lord Have Mercy" in the beginning of The Divine Liturgy :

The Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom - Liturgical Texts of the Orthodox Church - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

The people respond with "Lord, have mercy," After Each Petition.

Deacon: In peace, let us pray to the Lord. 1

For the peace from above and for the salvation of our souls, let us pray to the Lord. 2

For the peace of the whole world, for the stability of the holy churches of God, and for the unity of all, let us pray to the Lord. 3

For this holy house and for those who enter it with faith, reverence, and the fear of God, let us pray to the Lord. 4

For pious and Orthodox Christians, let us pray to the Lord. 5

For our Archbishop (Name), for the honorable presbyterate, for the diaconate in Christ, and for all the clergy and the people, let us pray to the Lord. 6

For our country, for the president, and for all in public service, let us pray to the Lord. 7

For this city, and for every city and land, and for the faithful who live in them, let us pray to the Lord. 8

For favorable weather, for an abundance of the fruits of the earth, and for peaceful times, let us pray to the Lord. 9

For those who travel by land, sea, and air, for the sick, the suffering, the captives and for their salvation, let us pray to the Lord. 10

For our deliverance from all affliction, wrath, danger, and necessity, let us pray to the Lord. 11

Help us, save us, have mercy on us, and protect us, O God, by Your grace. 12

Deacon: Commemorating our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever-virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commend ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God. 13

People: To You, O Lord.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just want to bring this up again in case anyone who has an answer missed it.
It is still repetition. The Greek word translated as "vain repetition" is a single word, so it doesn't make sense to me to divide the word into two and say that only half of it is valid. How do people justify this in their minds?

Right and as said before, it's Not a "Vain" Repetition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0