Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trying to read the Bible in one year means having to cover 6 chapters a day. which is too rush. Many Christians try but give up after a few months, feeling discouraged that they are 200 chapters behind. As well, you probably won't enjoy such hasty eading. Hence some Bible reading track now recommend 1.5 years. But to me, it is not how fast you finish, it is about appreciating and enjoying it. In my book, "Understanding Prayer, Faith and God's Will" I suggest it doesn't matter whether you finish the Bible in 3 or even 5 years.

I also recommend that readers keep concise notes as they go along. Concise means a few words to say what the chapter or a few chapters are about, the notes should not be tedious, and it does NOT mean rewriting the bible again. For example

Matthew 1 = Genealogy of Jesus. Jewish lineage.
Matthew 2,3,4 = Birth and early life of Jesus.
Matthew 5,6,7= The Sermon of the Mount

EXODUS:

Exodus 2 = Moses killed an Egyptian, fled to Midian, married and lived there.
Exodus 3 == God called Moses.

[I cannot create a table format here, but a table form is easier to read. I will see if I can attach a PDF later]

Concise notes is useful for various reasons:

1. You will feel motivated when you see your notes accumulating. You remember what you read as you go over the notes now and then.

2. Concise notes enables you to keep going until you reach your goal. Even if you stop for two or five months, which is very common because of time schedule, traveling, fatigue or even need to take a break -- the notes remind you to pick up again. And
instead of going back to square one again [if you stop 5 years ago without any notes], you can continue from where you left off. Going over the notes again will refresh your memory about what you learn previously, and you continue from there.

4. Later, when you learn something more about a chapter{s} or character [eg Abraham or David] which you covered a few months or years ago, you can add or edit the notes. The notes actually become your personal Biblepaedia. Or after you found something useful from Christian book, commentaries, sermon, conversation with friends or something cross your mind, you can add to your notes. See the words in blue, which are examples of additional thoughts or comments you can add as time goes by, as you realize new stuff, or as you ask new questions. Example:

Exodus 2

Moses killed an Egyptian; fled to Midian; married and lived there for forty years. How was the change from luxury as a prince previously to a simple life now? Maybe happier to be away from the protocol, politics and plots that existed in the palace? Less grand but more peace of mind?

From living in the desert, he learned abou
t how to survive in the harsh conditions. This helped him to lead the Hebrews later.

When God called him again 40 years later, how did he feel ?

Exodus 3

God called Moses. If God has a designated will or plan, He will call or guide us.

Keep concise notes, keep reading and keep going. Way before you finish the entire Scriptures, you will see that the Biblepedia can stay with you always.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome

roman2819

Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for that.

That's a good idea.

I find the "read through in a year" becomes more getting through the said Chapters for the day rather than taking it in properly.
I'm going to try what you suggest.:)

Yes, I believe a systematic reading and keeping notes will make reading more interesting and you will acquire quite a few next level stuff, I will mention some of the observations I have made in the next few days. Without notes, we read and tend to forget. By writing brief notes - - even a few words to cover a few chapters - help us to be conscious of what we read. Some books such as Ezekiel and Lamentations can be tough to read, but notes help us to have a better idea as we churn along.

• Friendly
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0