Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My pastor and her husband are actually my in-laws. I think what helps me the most is to watch them with their little daughter (my niece) and how they instill the Word into her. It's really cool to hear a 2 year old sing "How Great Thou Art" at the top of her little lungs. :)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
my pastor was a former policeman, he is now their chaplain. His wife was a nurse, but she went to be with the Lord about 2 years ago now. They have three children (grown up, they don't come to our church). and many grandchildren.
He looks a bit like Santa claus to me. lol

He explains the Bible very well and simply in his sermons. He is also encouraging and notices when you do something to help others. Most of the time he is busy as we have an elderly congregation he conducts services in rest homes etc.

His favourite Bible verse which I think he lives by is Micah 'to do justice, love mercy and to walk humbly with thy God'. He has a deep singing voice and is always praying and encouraging us to pray.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
? your pastor is female? Thats unusual in baptist churches, although having said that one of our members is leaving to be a youth pastor and she's female. Her husband is a teacher.

I go to a ladies bible study and I suppose our leader, who is female is like our pastor too. Maybe I should have just written pastor and spouse not specified gender.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm.

No discussions?
Well anyway I just want to mention our youth pastor or associate and his wife too, as his wife came to our ladies bible study the other night but I dont know her very well.

We have a new youth pastor but hes been with the church many years, he grew up in this church then went away to study and minister at another church in another town, but came back. They have three young children, all girls. His wife is a primary school teacher.

Although he doesnt know me that well personally, I think he is well grounded in the bible and whenever he preaches it is something God has him to say. I just remember one time one of our elders had the opportunity to preach and he was going a bit astray in his interpretation of the bible, and he got up at the end and said something about us bit arguing about our differences and said a prayer as well that it wouldnt end up dividing us if we thought a bit different. So I think he has some God given wisdom, cos I was really scratching my head over what the elder was saying or proclaiming.

Im sorry to say I dont know that his wife displays the same faith in His word as he does. She is mostly concerned with her children. Actually I am a bit worried about this to be honest. She was very quiet in our bible study and didnt say a word or prayed or anything.

I mean I was shy at first..but that was because I was a new christian and didnt know anybody..but i kinda think shes being going to church all her life probably so ought not to be shy of the things of God.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The pastor at my church is a nice guy; he is always there whenever I need him.

He is only come relatively recently to our church, though. Approximately five years ago, our previous pastor died unexpectedly due to heart problems. For a couple of years, our church did not have a pastor. Some two or three years ago, though, the new pastor for our church was chosen. On 10 February 2013, he officially became our pastor. FUN FACT: On the following day, the Pope resigned. :D I am not joking, though.

Anyway, my pastor likes me and has been there for me whenever I needed him — the same thing actually goes for his wife. They are really nice people.

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I completely love and adore my pastor and his wife. I call them daddy and momma :)
In all seriousness, they are amazing.
They began the church in our home before I was born, and it has grown to a three service church with well over 800 members plus adherents. We also have a Christian school that our church started as well.
We have a huge outreach into the community including a full size outdoor skating rink in the winter, soup kitchen, food cupboard, wood ministry(providing wood for people to heat their homes) plus an active street ministry.
I've learned so much about who God is and who God wants me to be by watching my parents.
I'm truely blessed by them.

Upvote 0

Pedrito

May 4, 2015
✟8,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Each organisation (denomination, “independent” church) has its own set of standards for behaviour, dress, acceptable terminology, etc.

Some might always address their prayers to “Father”, others to “Dear God”, "Our Father” or “Father God” for instance. And often you will find “acceptable” hackneyed expressions repeated again and again. Some churches might have prayer meetings or prayer sessions within other meetings, where each attendee is expected to pray; others not.

I happen to know a few people who do not feel comfortable about praying within groups. That does not mean that the strength of their faith is diminished – it simply means that they are private individuals. Some people prefer to remain quiet in studies as well.

In the case of Goodbook's youth pastor's wife, she may be shy. She may be a private person. She may consider her primary Christian duty to be supporting her husband in his ministry by being a super-duper wife and mother. I remember a pastor's wife who seemed to be interested only in supporting everything her husband said, and looking after her young family. She normally stayed quiet because she did not want to accidentally contradict a thought her husband had expressed or might express.

Whenever we see, or are drawn into, organisational norms and expectations and “acceptable ways to act and speak”, we should be wary. Such requirements can actually restrict a person's spiritual growth and maturity, by confining both their outlook and their openness to new, beneficial ideas from outside their immediate environment.

I suggest that Goodbook be kind to her youth pastor's wife – accept her as she is – even if she seems reticent to talk about her faith. Not everyone's Christian walk is the same. And people are often treated as outcasts in church circles (including evangelical) if they are “different”.

The wife as described is definitely “different”. She would probably welcome some support from a truly understanding friend.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I saw her in church yesterday but she didnt speak to me or smile at me :-(. I would like to know her better but, with some young mums they are so concerned with their own children they forget everyone else. We prayed for her youngest who is starting school. She gave me her email but it bounced back?! I was inviting her to our ladies bible study lunch but the email she gave us bounced and I thought thats unusual. Will she be even able to get away and come? Her mother in law could look after her children while she fellowships with us.

Her husband preached and talked about jesus being King. Also he talked about being Maori, he is half maori half pakeha. He talked about how we as baptists have sharing time which not many churches actually do in their services. I would love if his wife came and shared more about herself with us. Cos hes a talker and she isnt. Lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes one of my friends used to come to our group who I used to work with, even though she went to an anglican church. She was quiet and didnt always say much and often didnt pray out loud. But she did have a quiet faith and i have heard her pray as we ve done it one on one.
So..maybe its just that. I found it hard to pray in groups at first. I guess Im being a little judgy. Im just a bit concerned is all so I will keep her in my prayers. Often we forget about pastors wives as their husbands are doing all the talking most of the time.

Upvote 0

baptist4life

Jul 21, 2012
✟32,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My pastor and her husband are actually my in-laws. I think what helps me the most is to watch them with their little daughter (my niece) and how they instill the Word into her. It's really cool to hear a 2 year old sing "How Great Thou Art" at the top of her little lungs. :)
Your pastor and HER husband???? In a Baptist church??

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Im really feeling the shock and aw in your post ^_^ Yes...it is as I have said. Do not be ashamed of your sister in Christ being called to spread the Good News.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I was thinking precisely the same thing. Just my opinion: if I were in that church, I would immediately move to a more biblical one.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hope it doesnt have anything with the 'finding women attractive' thread.

I do have some concerns over this. It is not wrong for a woman to spread the gospel, but pastors have a huge responsibility and with lots of males in the congregation, how can a woman have that kind of authority over them..plus having hands full with children as well.

What is the husband doing, is my question. Is he not spreading the gospel as well? Or is it that there are more females than males on this particular congregation?

I think men ought to be taught and pastored by men in a church setting as they probably get enough pastoring from their wives and mothers at home..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I hope it doesnt have anything with the 'finding women attractive' thread.

I do have some concerns over this. It is not wrong for a woman to spread the gospel, but pastors have a huge responsibility and with lots of males in the congregation, how can a woman have that kind of authority over them..plus having hands full with children as well.

What is the husband doing, is my question. Is he not spreading the gospel as well? Or is it that there are more females than males on this particular congregation?

I think men ought to be taught and pastored by men in a church setting as they probably get enough pastoring from their wives and mothers at home..

Does the Church not have one Head? What "authority" should a man hold over another man?

Upvote 0

baptist4life

Jul 21, 2012
✟32,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Im really feeling the shock and aw in your post ^_^ Yes...it is as I have said. Do not be ashamed of your sister in Christ being called to spread the Good News.

Just checked out your profile page. What is a "theistic evolutionist? Do you believe God used evolution in His creation?

An "evolutionist" with a female pastor too. Wow.

Baptist??? No way.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
As I understand it, Baptist4Life, you want to know exactly what an evolutionary theist is. I might be able to help you here, as I might well be labeled as such, although I would use a different term to describe myself. But that is neither here nor there at the moment. I think it false to pit God and evolution against one another. I believe they go together. I don't think there would be any evolutionary process without God, as all evolution requires a transcendental source of imagination to present new creative possibilities to be actualized. I also posit that creation is God's own self-evolution from mere potentiality and unconsciousness into self-consciousness and self-actualization. Of course, I realize I have a lot of explaining to to here. But I want to see if you have any questions or are interested in any further discussion, before I do that.

Reactions: Butterfly99
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just checked out your profile page. What is a "theistic evolutionist? Do you believe God used evolution in His creation?

An "evolutionist" with a female pastor too. Wow.

Baptist??? No way.

I just checked our statement of faith and I find nothing in it that I am opposed to, nor anything about what notion of evolution I have to believe in nor what sex my pastor has to be. I'd advise you to tread real careful with 34 posts going around throwing what your notion of Baptist is and making everyone fit into the same box.

If you wanna get into theistic evolution make a new thread please. Let's not derail this one.

Reactions: Butterfly99
Upvote 0