RapcityZ

Aug 27, 2003
california,usa
Visit site
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Hi,

I have a parakee bird in a normal size kage and it seems like the bird hates his life and me, i need your oppinion should i let him get out of his cage and starve to death or leave him in his cage and feed him and take care, i usally put him in our front yard therei s a hanger right below our roof, you think i should take care of him or let him go in the wild and see what this world is, i kno she would love that but then shed starve

Krazeekkc

Irregular Nonconformist
Oct 2, 2003
Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟8,991.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well, do you spend at least 3 or 4 hours with your bird each day? Birds need alot of attention. How old is he? Is he trained? if he has his wings clipped then you can take him out of his cage and play with him. If you have any glasses (eye glasses) they really like them. Also, does he have toys in his cage? How big is his cage? Does he have enough room to stretch his wings?

I really don't think you should let him free because he would just die. Also, you mentioned that you take him outside. That's good, as long as it's not cold or hot out.

Poor birdie! :sigh:

Upvote 0

RapcityZ

Aug 27, 2003
california,usa
Visit site
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
what i ment is its only 1 bird always outside our garage door at night he goes in the garage sleeps and it happens again she always sits on a food hang that has a spot for her to stand, she sits on dat cuz its the highest object looks and sometimes whistles, i was asking if i should let her go or take care of her i wouldnt be able to look at a bird starve, I had her for a long time, shes pretty old, by the time i give it to somebody shes going to proberly die, i dont think shes going to last long i had her for almost 5 yrs and if a dog only lives for 15 yrs how much longer would a parakee live anybody know

Upvote 0

IvoryRain

Irregular Member
Oct 1, 2003
God Bless the USA
✟1,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Rap,

When I was a child (young but I dont remember how young) we got a parakeet named McGregor. I do know that we had him while we were in Texas. He moved with us to Missouri and I do know he lived for another 7 years after that. He died, unfortunantly, not from age, but shortly after we had an exterminator come to spray for a nasty ant problem we had.

Letting her go just would'nt be good. Tame birds aren't really capable of living in the wild for several reasons. Because parakeets aren't native to your area, dietary needs couldn't be met. Also, wild birds can be and often are very territorial. Bluejays are especially agressive at defending their spot. I know other birds are, too. Her birght colors would also make her easy prey for cats, hawks and other natural creatures.

Starving - I'm sure you say that out of frustration more than anything.

I'm a member of a bird rescue chapter, and if you do decide to rehome her I can help you find someone to help out.

Keeping her may not be so tough, though. You have options. A nice cage with toys always helps, and introducing new toys keeps her mind busy. If she has a mirror she may be more apt to want to preen with the "other bird", so you may want to remove that. Birds can bond with people, but it takes patience. If, after 5 years she is still a bit wild and you don't feel you will have the time for her, you may want to consider getting her a same sex friend. The downfall with that is she most likely will never bond with a person - and you have to consider that you will have even more responsibility.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
hey there,

I have two gorgeous parakeet of my own, and I wouldn't recommend letting her go free. She would die within a matter of days. You could look into sending her to the animal shelter, they should take her in, or put an ad in the paper. But please don't turn her out on her own to fend for herself.

Parakeets if they are taken care of well can live up to 10 or twelve years, but I've heard of them living longer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow, whatever you do don't let the poor bird go! It will die in a matter of days.

I had a parakeet for 8 years. The are cool little birds but I had to give mine ALOT of attention to get it tame. They really don't need a whole lot of attention after that point, at least mine didn't. He was pretty content with just being of his cage or playing with his toys in his cage.

Anyway, I would suggest finding a new home the bird

Upvote 0

Nicci

Sep 10, 2003
Alabama
✟321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
setting her free would be cruel. She needs a better home. You obviously don't have the time to give her the attention she deserves. It's not like she asked to be brought into your home, and you aren't living up to your side of the bargain. Parakeets are wonderful, friendly birds if you just spend time with them and gain their trust.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.