Your opinion about a game that makes kids eat more fruits and veggies, while having fun.

Would you play the game?

• YES

• NO

• UNDECIDED

Results are only viewable after voting.

JennaM

Mar 12, 2020
Arad
✟8,348.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have a 5-year-old daughter with whom we love to spend as much time as possible. She is a normal child, with temper and whims of a 5-year-old kid. Everything is perfect, except one thing, eating vegetables and fruits. She has a few preferences, like carrots, apples, strawberries, oranges and pears. Except those, she would not eat any raw fruits or vegetables.

As we play a lot of board games with her, me and my husband came with an idea to create a game board to encourage her to eat a larger variety of fruits and veggies. After months of brainstorming, designing and testing, it was ready. A couple of weeks ago we played the game with her, and she was thrilled. Now, she wants to play it every day, and we do. I am delighted to see her laugh, having a good time with us and nibbling on fresh fruits and veggies.

The game is like Hasbro’s “Candy Land”. A gameboard, different color pawns, a dice and a deck of cards. Each card contains a different fruit or vegetable. As you roll the dice and move the pawn on the gameboard, when landing on some special squares, in order to get specific advantages, the player has to pick a card and eat a slice of the fruit or vegetable, specified on the card. There are a lot of interesting elements in the game, like: traps, shortcuts, movement actions, etc, and most of them requires the player to pick one or more cards from the deck and eat what’s specified there.

We called the game NOONION, and that’s another fun element. Some cards from the deck contain onions, so when picked, the player has to eat a slice of onion. Sometimes, we replace the onion with fresh ginger slices, bitter melon, or cranberries. Something very healthy, but not so tasty to eat. We like to think that's also a little educational, as in life, taking a shortcut has its risks and disadvantages.

In total, there are 80 cards printed, 3 cards copies with the most common 15 fruits and 10 veggies + 5 onion cards. Before playing, I look trough the fridge what fruits or vegetables we have, slice them and put them in a large bowl. We sort out the cards to contain only those types of food, and we play. Usually, one game round lasts 25-30 minutes.

Long story short. After we played the game with some friends and their kids, they liked so much that they asked us to make a game copy for them. Also, they suggested that a lot of other parents would be interested in our game and we should try to make a commercial version. My husband is eager to do it, but I am a little skeptical about this and I would like more opinions from other parents. Would you play this game with your kid? If not, why?

I highly appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

With love, Jenna.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We have a 5-year-old daughter with whom we love to spend as much time as possible. She is a normal child, with temper and whims of a 5-year-old kid. Everything is perfect, except one thing, eating vegetables and fruits. She has a few preferences, like carrots, apples, strawberries, oranges and pears. Except those, she would not eat any raw fruits or vegetables.

As we play a lot of board games with her, me and my husband came with an idea to create a game board to encourage her to eat a larger variety of fruits and veggies. After months of brainstorming, designing and testing, it was ready. A couple of weeks ago we played the game with her, and she was thrilled. Now, she wants to play it every day, and we do. I am delighted to see her laugh, having a good time with us and nibbling on fresh fruits and veggies.

The game is like Hasbro’s “Candy Land”. A gameboard, different color pawns, a dice and a deck of cards. Each card contains a different fruit or vegetable. As you roll the dice and move the pawn on the gameboard, when landing on some special squares, in order to get specific advantages, the player has to pick a card and eat a slice of the fruit or vegetable, specified on the card. There are a lot of interesting elements in the game, like: traps, shortcuts, movement actions, etc, and most of them requires the player to pick one or more cards from the deck and eat what’s specified there.

We called the game NOONION, and that’s another fun element. Some cards from the deck contain onions, so when picked, the player has to eat a slice of onion. Sometimes, we replace the onion with fresh ginger slices, bitter melon, or cranberries. Something very healthy, but not so tasty to eat. We like to think that's also a little educational, as in life, taking a shortcut has its risks and disadvantages.

In total, there are 80 cards printed, 3 cards copies with the most common 15 fruits and 10 veggies + 5 onion cards. Before playing, I look trough the fridge what fruits or vegetables we have, slice them and put them in a large bowl. We sort out the cards to contain only those types of food, and we play. Usually, one game round lasts 25-30 minutes.

Long story short. After we played the game with some friends and their kids, they liked so much that they asked us to make a game copy for them. Also, they suggested that a lot of other parents would be interested in our game and we should try to make a commercial version. My husband is eager to do it, but I am a little skeptical about this and I would like more opinions from other parents. Would you play this game with your kid? If not, why?

I highly appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

With love, Jenna.
Hi; interesting...

I think in Romania especially people grow a lot of their own vegetables, right?

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cool game! Could teach the kids to appreciate different flavours and textures. We play it with our grand kids we have some really fussy eaters among them who love playing board games. It could work out if you market it rightly.

Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,329.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like fun! As a preschool teacher, I would love to play this with the kids as a healthy choice game. There's a site called teachers pay teachers where you can upload printable games and other teachers buy them. That could be a good option to start with to see if there is a willingness to purchase?

Upvote 0

JennaM

Mar 12, 2020
Arad
✟8,348.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like fun! As a preschool teacher, I would love to play this with the kids as a healthy choice game. There's a site called teachers pay teachers where you can upload printable games and other teachers buy them. That could be a good option to start with to see if there is a willingness to purchase?

Oh, I did not know that. I would definitely do that. Thank you. I will post it for free since there are no costs from our side. As long as other kids will play and enjoy it, I am super happy.

Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

JennaM

Mar 12, 2020
Arad
✟8,348.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi; interesting...

I think in Romania especially people grow a lot of their own vegetables, right?

Yes, but not as much anymore, and it's sad. Usually people just go to the nearest supermarket and buy what they need. Whenever I can, I always go to the local market and buy from there and buy from local farmers. I prefer a wrinkled apple rather than a shiny waxed apple imported from Italy or Poland.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-12_14-34-33.png
    upload_2020-3-12_14-34-33.png
    312 bytes · Views: 1
Upvote 0

JennaM

Mar 12, 2020
Arad
✟8,348.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cool game! Could teach the kids to appreciate different flavours and textures. We play it with our grand kids we have some really fussy eaters among them who love playing board games. It could work out if you market it rightly.

Thank you. My biggest fear is that some parents may consider this game a way to force kids to eat fruits and veggies. And it's quite contrary. It's a way to eat something healthy and have a great fun doing that. We would never use something she hates eating. That would be a cruel.

I know that many Kids don't like eating raw onions, and neither do I. We added the onion card to make the game more interesting, like surprise element or a mild scaring factor. I think kids love this, or at least our daughter does.Whenever she draws a card, I see her giggling with emotion to not get the onion card.

Last edited:
Upvote 0