"Your Name" (Kimi no Na wa, 2016) is great!

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ever since I saw this movie last year I can't stop thinking about it. I think I have seen it now about 15 times, each time picking up some new detail that I had not noticed before.

It is part mystery, part love story, and part fantasy, but set in modern times Japan (2013, 2016, and 2021-2022). It is confusing at first, but everything does end up being explained. If you haven't seen it yet, it is available on YouTube and on DVD. Has anyone else here seen it?

Reactions: Bramblewild

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I watched it. It was good. I really can't call it the best anime movie I've seen, but it is up there, and it may have the best art. There's a newer Shinkai movie, Weathering With You, that has some connections with Your Name. Give it a shot, too.

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I watched it. It was good. I really can't call it the best anime movie I've seen, but it is up there, and it may have the best art. There's a newer Shinkai movie, Weathering With You, that has some connections with Your Name. Give it a shot, too.

I'm glad someone here watched Your Name. I did also watch Weathering With You and found it almost as good, but not quite, mostly because of the ambiguous ending. The middle parts I liked quite a bit, and there was more character development of side characters, something we did not see in Your Name. It has perhaps even better background art, and shows the gritty underclass of Tokyo including the bad neighborhoods instead of the pretty side of Tokyo we see in Your Name. Although the best Shinkai background art I think is still in his 2013 Garden of Words. The story in Garden is not quite as good but the scenes of rain are gorgeous! All three movies seem to be in the same SCU (The Shinkai Cinematic Universe). The Japanese lit teacher in Garden of Words is the lit teacher in Mitsuha's class in Your Name. And both Taki and Mitsuha have cameos in Weathering. Some say Yotsuha, Mitsuha's younger sister in in there too, but I didn't see it. I hope we will see more good things from Makoto Shinkai. I also really liked the Radwimps music in Your Name.

Upvote 0