Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No. An unbeliever cannot properly understand the Holy Scriptures without the Holy Spirit.

Why would an unbeliever without the Holy Spirit not be able to understand for example, the genealogies in Scripture? Or the Levitical law (which incidentally applied to all Jews, believers and non were under)? Or the many historical narratives? Of course they do not believe the miraculous events contained within them, but nevertheless they can understand in an intellectual manner of understanding in general, even insulting the Creator of minds while at the same time disdain for the source of their reasoning capability.

Jesus said to the disciples that the Spirit will guide them into all truth (John 14:26). John said that the believers he was writing to did not need any man to teach them but they had an anointing (i.e. the Holy Spirit) to teach them all things (1 John 2:27).

Yes, I believe those Scriptures with all of my heart, Jesus Christ is Lord of all truth, all truth is God's truth. With that said though, and I mean this from one Christian to another with gentleness, did the Spirit teach you how to use a computer? Or Mathematics? Or American history? The verses do use the words "all", and if we take them at face value, why do we find so many disagreements among Christians on most everything? I mean even here we are in disagreement, is only one of us being taught and led into truth? I should hope not!

Later dictionaries are becoming more intolerant against religion slightly. I like Webster's 1913 Dictionary here:

Online Dictionary and Translations

I love a good dictionary, I have often used dictionaries in personal studies, and sometimes enjoy simply looking up words for understanding sake.

As for Strong's: Well, I do not believe the work is inspired by God. It is handy sometimes but many of my deep studies did not involve the Strongs. I have a problem with folks using it sometimes because they act like they know Hebrew and Greek when nobody really knows these languages. They are guessing. Nobody alive today grew up speaking and writing Biblical Hebrew and Greek. It should not be the sole means by which we understand the Bible. For me it is a infrequent tool that I use.

I'm right there with you on inspiration and dictionaries, as uninspired as they are, they are very useful tools in gaining a greater understanding. I have to humbly disagree concerning the original languages though. It is true, modern people have to learn them to know them, and while it is true ancient usage of words often differs and can carry meanings foreign to modern minds, there exists many ancient resources to consult for an older meaning. With that said, although helpful, for most it is not necessary, nor their calling to be in the fields where knowledge of those languages are necessary. I also agree completely on sole means.

I am not making a generalized statement about GOD. The semi colon was there to continue my line of thinking. The context of what I am saying is that GOD is simple in the way that He communicates to His followers. Remember, Jesus explained his parables to the disciples whereas He did not do that for those who did not believe.

Well you also said "He is not complicated", but anyway...no need to go over the same material. I do believe many places in Scripture require Spiritual discernment, especially with regard to prophecies, parables, poetry, the genres which are more symbolic or figurative in language, not as clear and well simple.

Upvote 0

A71

Mar 8, 2017
Europe
✟30,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem is probably that we are in a Greek concept, which is a square peg for a round hole. I.e. Forums are for intellectual debate.

When discussing the Bible, we would do better in a classroom or a learning zone. In a Christian learning zone, I can guarantee you we all at some point open our mouths and then want to shrivel up and die for having said something ridiculous. But I have seen very few people grow in Forums. I have changed my views massively since using forums, but I am not convinced I am the norm.

Once you've overturned your own belief system a few times, you become a bit more cautious with the notion of absolute truth.

Upvote 0

A71

Mar 8, 2017
Europe
✟30,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe optimistic AW, but in Christian house groups people do study the Bible in a prayerful and contemplative way.
You are right, that does not remove disagreement and potential conflicts, but it is a much better environment. At least you have people praying and working through things in a spiritual way. On the Forum you can try and discuss rationally and peacably, but eventually you will encounter 'the outlier'. The person who in a Church group setting would need a lot of work and patience. They cannot get that on a Forum, indeed they are unaware that they need help. They inevitably will provoke somebody into a harsh retort, often with some completely unfounded personal accusation, more often than not craftily veiled, and then discussion becomes little more than verbal trench warfare.

• Agree
Reactions: Sheep dog
Upvote 0

A71

Mar 8, 2017
Europe
✟30,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had two JWs talk to me the other day. It was great actually.
Even though their doctrine was correct, and I like the way they just walk around..which is very good, as they get out and about, I still feel in the spirit that there is something fishy about this denomination. Anyway I ended up teaching them, in a language I don't speak....it was fun

Their doctrine was correct insofar as they believe in Jesus as the Son of God, which someone told me they didn't

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Everyone can have their own interpretation. Not everyone can have the correct interpretation!

Everyone is allowed their own interpretation. Each defines Sin for themselves.

Rom 14
14 But him that is weak in faith receive ye, yet not for decision of scruples. 2 One man hath faith to eat all things: but he that is weak eateth herbs. 3 Let not him that eateth set at nought him that eateth not; and let not him that eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4 Who art thou that judgest the servant of another? to his own lord he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be made to stand; for the Lord hath power to make him stand. 5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let each man be fully assured in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord: and he that eateth, eateth unto the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, unto the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7 For none of us liveth to himself, and none dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; or whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 But thou, why dost thou judge thy brother? or thou again, why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment-seat of God. 11 For it is written,
As I live, saith the Lord, to me every knee shall bow,
And every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then each one of us shall give account of himself to God.
13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge ye this rather, that no man put a stumbling block in his brother’s way, or an occasion of falling.

The short version of the same message:

Rom 14
5 One man regards a certain day above the others, while someone else considers every day alike.
Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even though their doctrine was correct, and I like the way they just walk around..which is very good, as they get out and about, I still feel in the spirit that there is something fishy about this denomination. Anyway I ended up teaching them, in a language I don't speak....it was fun

Their doctrine was correct insofar as they believe in Jesus as the Son of God, which someone told me they didn't

Becasue Jesus told people not to bow down to Him, they say he is god, not God.
Which is somewhat true, but they focus on Jesus saying He is not God. Whereas much of Christianity says Jesus is God.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In addition to the many good points made previously, we shouldn't forget that Scripture is the best interpreter of Scripture. Therefore, the more we personally know the Scriptures, the better off we'll be at accurately interpreting what the Bible says. By this I mean we should be reading the *whole* Bible on a regular basis so that we remain familiar with its entire teaching.

• Winner
Reactions: A71
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is merely twisting the words of the Bible around to what we want it to say.
Applying scripture to the current world is a good idea.
That requires taking passages out of context.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a point of humility, it is important to note to self that what ever conclusions you come to are not equal to scripture.

3The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.
4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Michael Collum. My interpretation of the Bible. It is God`s Words to us. In Matthew 22: 35-40:
Jesus tells us: The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy hearts, with all thy souls; and with all thy minds. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. God is our Heavenly Father, and God is LOVE. God Loves us and God wants our love, freely given and with all our beings. Jesus died for us, He died that we might live. The Bible tells us what to do, give up all selfish wishes and thoughts, ask God for Love and Compassion, then follow Jesus back to God. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: God is our Heavenly Father, and Jesus died that we might live. to love and be the sons and daughters which God wants. God is Love, God wants our love always and no pretence. Jesus died that we might live. Be the children God wants us to be; loving and caring always. Love overs all sins, and love brings always the best out in us. LOVE is the Word, let us give up all pretence and sinning, and be the loving sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. Love is the Reason to live and to be, God is Love and God wants loving men and women. Satan will run away from all love and compassion, from Godly Joy and )Peace. I say this with love, Michael, and send greetings. From Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear Michael Collum. My interpretation of the Bible. It is God`s Words to us. In Matthew 22: 35-40:
Jesus tells us: The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy hearts, with all thy souls; and with all thy minds. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. God is our Heavenly Father, and God is LOVE. God Loves us and God wants our love, freely given and with all our beings. Jesus died for us, He died that we might live. The Bible tells us what to do, give up all selfish wishes and thoughts, ask God for Love and Compassion, then follow Jesus back to God. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: God is our Heavenly Father, and Jesus died that we might live. to love and be the sons and daughters which God wants. God is Love, God wants our love always and no pretence. Jesus died that we might live. Be the children God wants us to be; loving and caring always. Love overs all sins, and love brings always the best out in us. LOVE is the Word, let us give up all pretence and sinning, and be the loving sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. Love is the Reason to live and to be, God is Love and God wants loving men and women. Satan will run away from all love and compassion, from Godly Joy and )Peace. I say this with love, Michael, and send greetings. From Emmy, your sister in Christ.
What is love? Some think love is kissing and hugging. Others think they would love to have a bigger yacht or a house with more space. If love is helping a homeless person crouching near the side of a building to stay out of the cold wind, they would rather not go there to give the man some food, a blanket, or more clothes. They would rather walk a little further away from him in case he might try to rob them. It is even more difficult to find shelter for that person while there are are empty heated rooms all over town. Love is not as easy as picking up the Bible, reading it, then forgetting what was read a short time later. If you could spend hours in the world's largest library, could you gain any more useful knowledge than is in the Bible? Would it help your interpretation of the Bible.?

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hermeneutics is the set of principles by which Scripture can be interpreted as reliably as possible, without going back to the authors and asking them what they meant about some of the things they wrote which were difficult to understand. Interpretation of Scripture depends on a number of factors:
Who is the person writing?
Where did he live?
What is the historical environment?
What is the dominant culture?
Who is the intended audience?
Is it written for our education or for us to follow?
If it was written to and for Jews, do Gentiles have to comply?
If it is written to us for us to follow, does it take the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ into account?
Does our interpretation fit into the context of the passage?
Just because the Old Testament saints did things that were questionable, do we have to copy their behaviour?

These are important questions that have to be considered when interpreting any passage of Scripture. Just pulling an interpretation of a random verse out of its historical, cultural and intended context is not from the Holy Spirit. It is merely twisting the words of the Bible around to what we want it to say.
The question is more confusing than helpful for those who are new to thinking about Christianity. First, examine what the Bible means when it says something. You must first be called by God, then you may choose to seek and find or to simply ignore that calling. If and when you decide that you wish to seek the Godly calling, that is the time to earnestly seek Him, and to throw out all orthodox teachings. The beginning is to read the Bible daily, 2 chapters from the OT Genesis and Psalms and 1 from the NT . You will find the same story repeated in each of the sections as you read. Check out the story of the Red sea and the escape from Egypts bondage. Why? As you progress you will discover the promises made to the Hebrews to inherit the Holy land and are extended also to us. This is the primary starting point that will inspire you to think about what Christ taught, the Kingdom of God is coming here and will be established on earth, that is what Christ preached and what he told the disciples to preach. When you learn the basic principles of the Bible, the rest will fall into place as the Holy Spirit guides you as believers. God bless!

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a point of humility, it is important to note to self that what ever conclusions you come to are not equal to scripture. Therefore, your interpretation may be invalidated, but scripture remains not so.

I totally get what you are saying. The older I get the more I realize the less I know. When I look back on the last 30 years of my walk with the Lord, I am amazed at how many times my position on the Scriptures have changed. Two factors are pivotal considerations. First, life is much more complex than we can possibly imagine. We really have no deep understanding of what life really is. Second, God is much more complex than the life He created, so we have barely an inkling of what God is really doing or what He means in the Bible. However, despite what I just said, we do have enough understanding of both God, the Scriptures and life to live practically in His will.

Bottom line: when I comment on the forum I try to remember that I don't know everything and my understanding of Scriptures may change, although I often forget and can find myself being just as obnoxious as other people.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everyone can have their own interpretation. Not everyone can have the correct interpretation!
Interpretation; a word that points to ones own idea of what is said, therefore this leaves much to be desired when it comes to finding the truth of a subject.

Denominations in the churches of today were formed by interpretations. There is no interpretation to what Jesus said and what His apostles taught,there is only what they stated that should be adhered to. Therein lies the problem in religion, man's interpretation.

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

This then brings up the question: How is the word rightly divided? It is rightly divided by prayer to God through His Christ Jesus that the Holy Spirit be granted to guide the individual that truly desires to understand how to divide the word of truth.

This writer has been doing this for over 50 years. I am just now beginning to see the deep things that lie in front of the eyes of one that read the Bible scriptures. Praise be to God for His guidance and to His Jesus Christ.

Andy Centek
Falsechristianity.com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

That's interesting, because one of the main JW doctrines is that Jesus may be the Son of God but He is not God, therefore is not divine but a lesser created being.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Applying scripture to the current world is a good idea.
That requires taking passages out of context.
I would be careful about that because there are parts of the Bible that were written to a specific audience at a specific time, such as the major and minor prophets, and for a specific reason that existed in Israel at the time of writing. They may be written for our education, but we could not apply those things directly in our modern world because they applied to an unfaithful Israel that departed from God and went into idolatry.

In contrast, we can apply most of 1 Corinthians today because Paul wrote it "for all those who believe in Christ everywhere", so it has a universal application for all Christians at all times, everywhere, as is the other New Testament letters.

Many will disagree with me, but Jesus taught unconverted Jews, and a lot of what He taught was directed at them. But to know how to apply it to modern Christians, one has to take into account what the Holy Spirit said through Paul, Peter, John and Jude. Some put Jesus' teaching above these four, but if the Holy Spirit inspired the Apostles to write what they did, and He is of equal status to Jesus, then what the Apostles wrote was the extension to what Jesus taught which gives the complete picture. To discount Paul, for instance, is to say that the Holy Spirit did not inspire him to write his letters and that he was not called directly by Jesus to take the Gospel to the Gentiles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0