Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have yet to see this idea floated, but I think this solution addresses the actual valid claims from the anti-2A side, while undoing the infringements that we have experienced ever since the NFA was passed. So here's the idea, and you tell me what you think (hopefully reading this with an open, pragmatic mind):

Repeal the entire NFA and GCA. No more 4473s, Form 1 or 4s, full auto, SBR, SBS, suppressors completely legalized, no mag bans, no more FFL middlemen or transfer fees, and no gun registries of any kind. 50-state federally approved concealed carry.

All of that in exchange for a national firearms license to purchase firearms, ammunition, and ignition media (ie: powder and primers). License would require background check and proficiency exam at a minimum. In order to purchase any firearm or ammunition, you'd need to show a license. This would also apply to both retail and private party transactions.

The only way a gun or ammo gets into the wrong hands is if A) They have no criminal record, or B) They break into your home and the guns/ammo are not secured (or they crack/cut your safe open).

I think I'd be willing to make that deal. How about you?

EvilSinner

Feb 25, 2021
Hell
✟730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think so. I'm not willing to be licensed to own what is rightfully mine. Nor am I am willing to have private transactions monitored by the government like that. If I want to give my friend a gun (which I do sometimes), I don't want to be required to background check them. Nor does the federal government have the right to involve itself in my state's business, regardless of the flaws of my state.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't think so. I'm not willing to be licensed to own what is rightfully mine. Nor am I am willing to have private transactions monitored by the government like that. If I want to give my friend a gun (which I do sometimes), I don't want to be required to background check them. Nor does the federal government have the right to involve itself in my state's business, regardless of the flaws of my state.

I don't see where there would be "transactional monitoring" under such a system. Would your friend under such a system be licensed to have a gun?

Upvote 0

EvilSinner

Feb 25, 2021
Hell
✟730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't see where there would be "transactional monitoring" under such a system. Would your friend under such a system be licensed to have a gun?

Not necessarily. It's up to me to decide whether they need a gun, the governance licensure be darned cause I wouldn't be looking at that.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I consider them stupid, unconstitutional is a side matter. (I know you aren't asking me though, lol.)

Constitutionality is the only matter, IMO. I don't believe either of them are, especially under the court's opinion of the NFA in United States v. Miller (1939).

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not necessarily. It's up to me to decide whether they need a gun, the governance licensure be darned cause I wouldn't be looking at that.

I would think I wouldn't want you letting a convicted felon borrow a gun; no offense but I don't know the company you keep :D

• Haha
Reactions: EvilSinner
Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have yet to see this idea floated, but I think this solution addresses the actual valid claims from the anti-2A side, while undoing the infringements that we have experienced ever since the NFA was passed. So here's the idea, and you tell me what you think (hopefully reading this with an open, pragmatic mind):

Repeal the entire NFA and GCA. No more 4473s, Form 1 or 4s, full auto, SBR, SBS, suppressors completely legalized, no mag bans, no more FFL middlemen or transfer fees, and no gun registries of any kind. 50-state federally approved concealed carry.

All of that in exchange for a national firearms license to purchase firearms, ammunition, and ignition media (ie: powder and primers). License would require background check and proficiency exam at a minimum. In order to purchase any firearm or ammunition, you'd need to show a license. This would also apply to both retail and private party transactions.

The only way a gun or ammo gets into the wrong hands is if A) They have no criminal record, or B) They break into your home and the guns/ammo are not secured (or they crack/cut your safe open).

Hmmm... What would the actual valid claims that anti-2A folks be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,129.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you consider the GCA and/or NFA unconstitutional?
it is an infringement. The Founders debated several conditions for citizens, some wanted the right to vote to be limited to citizens who were employed, owned property, etc. showing they were indeed a credit to society and not a liability. Something like that would be preferable to government intrusion of licensing.

Upvote 0

EvilSinner

Feb 25, 2021
Hell
✟730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Constitutionality is the only matter, IMO. I don't believe either of them are, especially under the court's opinion of the NFA in United States v. Miller (1939).
Yeah, but the courts also said in Roe v Wade that abortion is "hunky-dory" with the constitution, which doesn't regard the moral fact that murder is wrong.

Upvote 0

EvilSinner

Feb 25, 2021
Hell
✟730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, but the courts also said in Roe v Wade that abortion is "hunky-dory" with the constitution, which doesn't regard the moral fact that murder is wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Please look at Sheila Jackson Lee's Bill HR 127
every firearm in national database, hundreds of dollars tax for a license, restrictions on semi autos. This is what the left is doing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That seems to go against the intent of the Second Amendment. It would take regulating power away from the states, and give it to the federal government. The states have been traditionally understood to have greater Constitutional permission to regulate everything, not just firearms - driver's licenses, sale of alcohol, etc. The feds come first in terms of authority, but they should do less, not more. National licensing gives everything to the feds. And when they have everything, there is no reason for them to not take more because they are made up of people, and people like to expand their power wherever they can get away with it. For years, the executive branch has leveraged its power in partisan ways - the IRS and the Justice Department seem to target groups on the left when a Republican is in power, and on the right when a Democrat is in power. I see no reason why this would not extend to national licensing, especially of firearms. And when that happens, if the President decides to make a power grab, he can use that influence to deny or even revoke the licenses of large groups of people that he deems likely to oppose him, and even favor groups he determines loyal to him. Thus defeating the intent of the Second Amendment.

Now, you did mention that the license would be for purchase, which is separate from ownership. If we're going to be generous and assume that the federal government wouldn't leverage this power to cross that line and forbid ownership for those whose licenses have expired or been revoked, this is still a serious problem. Ammunition runs out, eventually. Without that license, you can't get more. If you're putting in the range time to be well-practiced, you're firing off rounds that you can't use for armed resistance.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Please look at Sheila Jackson Lee's Bill HR 127
every firearm in national database, hundreds of dollars tax for a license, restrictions on semi autos. This is what the left is doing.

I have read it. It's horrible and may be the most unConstitutional anti-gun bill I've ever seen.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The US "needs" gun control... b/c of school shootings

Stats show most guns used are stolen from home ("opportunity")

ChildSafe gun storage lockers have already been proposed, and would solve the problem
Safe storage statutes exist, but have not solved the problem and are not enforceable.

Upvote 0