Your Go-To Book or Chapter from the Bible?

MissFaithfullyHis

Mar 12, 2022
Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just curious if you have a (or had) a go-to book or chapter from the Bible as a follower of Christ (new or long-time follower)? And any reason why you always refer back to that book or chapter?

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the "right" place to post, but I wanted to discover what others refer to and perhaps help me and others who are new to see the books and chapters in a different light :)

May God continue to share His truth!

• Useful
Reactions: royal priest

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Just curious if you have a (or had) a go-to book or chapter from the Bible as a follower of Christ
Much of where I go to in the Scriptures depends on what I'm going through in that moment. For instance, if I need reassurance of God's protection and guidance, then I'm often drawn to events in the lives of Moses or David. Or, if I am confessing sin, then I will often go to the Apostolic writings of encouragement for us to trust in the redemption won by God. And to read about the saving work of Jesus and of how He is determined to never let me go no matter how badly I may have have blown it! Or, I might go Proverbs or Ecclesiastes to explore and glean through those kernels of wisdom left for us by 'the Preacher'. I'm thankful the Bible contains everything we need to help us through any time and season.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just curious if you have a (or had) a go-to book or chapter from the Bible as a follower of Christ (new or long-time follower)? And any reason why you always refer back to that book or chapter?

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the "right" place to post, but I wanted to discover what others refer to and perhaps help me and others who are new to see the books and chapters in a different light :)

Romans, it is as close to a systematic theology as Paul could make it.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Ecclesiastes and Wisdom of Solomon.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Romans 6.

If I had a Top 3 list of chapters of the Bible, this chapter would be on it. As far as how to walk with God is concerned, this chapter offers some of the most crucial spiritual truths a believer must grasp in order to fellowship with God. If a Christian doesn't understand and live in the light of Romans 6 every day, they simply can't walk well with God.

In Romans 6, Paul explained what are called the "identification truths." Every Christian has been united with Christ in his death, burial and resurrection and thus freed from the power of the "old man," of unregenerate, rebellious Self, and raised into "newness of life" in Jesus Christ. Paul urged believers to "reckon" themselves as "co-crucified" with Christ, to identify with him in his death, burial and resurrection and to live every day in the reality of this union with their Savior (Romans 6:1-11; Galatians 2:20; Galatians 5:24; Galatians 6:14; Colossians 2:11-13; Colossians 3:1-3, etc.). Doing so, Paul wrote, was fundamental and essential to living a holy, Christ-centered life.

Paul also, in Romans 6, described the relational dynamic that underpins the believers walk with God, indicating that every born-again Christian is a "bond-slave" to God, a "slave of righteousness," and as such ought daily to present him/herself as a "living sacrifice" to God (Romans 6:13-22; Romans 12:1), yielded to Him to use as He wills.

Each day, one stands before God either as a rebel, or as His "slave of righteousness." There is no third dynamic that one can be in relative to God. If one is not submitted to Him, consciously and persistently, one is in rebellion toward Him and thus cut off from joyful fellowship with Him. This isn't to say one has lost one's salvation; such a thing is impossible for a genuinely saved person. One's relationship to God as His child is inviolate, irreversible, but one's fellowship with Him, one's intimate communion with Him, can be totally halted by one's rebellion and sin. This is well-described in the parable of the Prodigal Son. (Luke 15:11-32)

Romans 6, then, outlines the means by which a person lives a holy life successfully - which is crucial to "seeing God" (Hebrews 12:14) - and explains the necessity of constant submission to Him which is essential to enjoying and being transformed by Him. The believer who lives by faith in the truths of Romans 6, identifying with Christ in his death, burial and resurrection and presenting themselves to God throughout each day as His bond-slave is the believer who will move progressively into an ever-deepening, life-transforming experience of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I love the Gospel of John. In fact I believe it was certain verses from this book that pierced my heart, and were instrumental in my becoming a Christian.

These two especially:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

I'm not sure I would describe it as my 'go-to' book, but these verses are indelibly inscribed in my heart.

Upvote 0

SloopidyBoop

I love Jesus, family, reading, and working hard.
Feb 27, 2023
✟10,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I gotta go with Romans 6 this is a good chapter to lay out once and for all how to live a faith filled life successfully. And 1Corinthians 11 in the last half. Instructions for the Lord's supper/eucharist. Love it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums