Your Favorite of Paul's Epistles

jmc66

Jan 6, 2011
✟7,663.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Our newly formed small group is getting ready to choose it's next study. We want to do one of the gospels in the summer. And then we want to do one of Paul's epistles in the fall.

What is your favorite of Paul's books & why? And while you're at it, which gospel would you recommend for a small group that is only a few months old? Thanks.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It sort of depends on what you're looking for. They all have a purpose. But since you asked for my favorite, it is Romans by far. Why? It is the theological masterpiece of the New Testament. Nothing encapsulates Christianity better or more deeply than Romans. There's also some special history tied to the book. Martin Luther said that it was while reading Romans that he first understood the gospel message.

Each of the gospels also has a different purpose. Matthew is the most "Jewish" of all the gospels. In other words, it focuses a lot on tying Jesus to his Jewish roots to support him as the Messiah. Mark is the "get to the point" gospel. Everything is very plainly and straightforwardly written. Luke is the detailed gospel. It is good for the lawyers, engineers, and historians who like to take the "logical" approach to religion. John is the "philosophical" gospel. It focuses on Jesus as God, his relationship to the Father, and his relationship to us. It tells fewer stories and gets more into the "deep" stuff that Jesus said.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some Epistles meet one need and another writing addresses something else. Personally, I don't think we should talk about "favorites", for the Word of God should be our favorite Book.

In order of study for young believers, I recommend a good understanding of John, then Roman, then Hebrews; thereafter, alternating studies one week in the O.T. (beginning with Genesis), then a study in the N.T. considering Acts first is a good process. This would be my suggestion, but one should pray for God to show what is needed for all. Look up always!

- 1 Watchman

Upvote 0

robinriley

Jun 15, 2015
Port Orchard, Washington
✟18,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
(Robin)
This is interesting ...

1:28And according-as to the God they had approved not (to hold in recognition), the God into same [ones] an unapproved mind He had beside-given, to the [things] no[t] befitting to do; 1:29*to having had been fulfilled unto every unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, exploitation, evil; to bulgings of envy, of murder, of strife, of fraud, of evil-custom; to whisperers; 1:30to down-speaking, God-detesting insolences; to over-manifested ostentatiousnesses; to inventors of evil [things] unto parents;to unpersuaded, 1:31*unintelligent, uncooperative, unaffectionate, unlibationed, unmerciful [ones]; 1:32 any-which [ones] to the righteous-standard of the God having recognized, that the [ones] to the such [things] practicing, worthy [ones] of death they be; [for] not only to same [things] they do, but also they together-approve unto the practicing.

... a bit different from any other translation I've found, but I think it's more accurate, nevertheless. That is, these are seven distinct groupings:

1) UNTO every unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, exploitation, evil;
2) TO bulgings of envy, of murder, of strife, of fraud, of evil-custom;
3) TO whisperers;
4) TO down-speaking, God-detesting insolences;
5) TO over-manifested ostentatiousnesses;
6) TO inventors of evil [things] unto parents;
7) TO unpersuaded, unintelligent, uncooperative, unaffectionate, unlibationed, unmerciful [ones];

I've not yet figured out how this forum works ... so I've posted this here ... I'm a scriptural nerd, I dont attempt to push any sort of doctrine (God knows, I do have these horrid things), but all that I'd really like to do is discuss what Paul actually said ... it's a lonely quest.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our newly formed small group is getting ready to choose it's next study. We want to do one of the gospels in the summer. And then we want to do one of Paul's epistles in the fall.

What is your favorite of Paul's books & why? And while you're at it, which gospel would you recommend for a small group that is only a few months old? Thanks.

Hi jmc,

My very favorite writing from Paul is the letter written to the Roman believers. However, my 2nd favorite in regards to living the life that Jesus asks us to live are the two letters to the Corinthians, but they all have great jewels of wisdom to be mined.

Why do I like the book of Romans? It makes it perfectly clear to each one the various and many sins that we are wont to dabble in from time to time. It probably deals with the issue of sin more than any of the other new covenant epistles.

My favorite gospel account is John, but I find that Luke is somewhat more complete. John speaks of love and how important love is in our life and relationships and how very, very much God and His Son love us. However, it doesn't give any accounting for the days of Jesus' birth and early life. I honestly find the account of the shepherds just amazing when I sit back and consider in my mind what it must have been like on that night. Luke also makes perfectly clear who John the Baptist was and his role as the herald of the Christ. And the things that Luke tells us that Mary and Joseph experienced to assure them that what they held in their hands was truly the greatest, most wonderful and merciful gift that God has given to mankind.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would have to say Romans also.

Because Romans 5, 6, and 7 I think are pivotal chapters in a Christian understanding of who they are positionally in Christ.

Everyone should read these three chapters at least once a year because it is that AMAZING not just what Christ did for us, but how we positionally in Christ have the same experience (spiritually) that Christ had.

AMAZING.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans is my favorite but it is not the easiest to understand. I like the idea of studying Paul's epistles in chronological order, relating them to his travels in Acts, which means starting with the letters to the Thessalonians.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Chicken Little

Jun 11, 2010
mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hubby and I have recently decided to revisit all of Paul' s teachings as they all pretty much are teaching christians how to cope in a very wicked or worse , generation, city or people. He lines it out well considering the US has for quite some years thought it lived in a bubble and considered it self above the rest.
but it has always been here too.
We just wished to ignore it and pretend it isn't there , we really can't afford to ignore it any longer.

Upvote 0