Your favorite HALLOWEEN media from your childhood.

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For this thread, post an example (or two) of your favorite Halloween media from when you were a kid. It could be a decoration, a cereal box picture, a movie poster or a pic, a book and record, a costume you wore, a picture from a Halloween party, etc. Make it fun but suitable for consumption by a kid under 12! (...so, maybe avoid showing something that is on the gory side of things--be judicious, please! Thanks! :rolleyes:)

My example is a book and record set that I had when I was just 7. It's about 25 minutes in length and I thought it was awesome; the art is by famed comic-book artist, Neal Adams. I've always thought the story was worthy of a movie (or so my little 7 year old mind thought!) Enjoy!

Part I

Part II

:dontcare: ....ah, childhood!

Last edited:

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's a classic 1970s window decoration we had when I was 5 --love it!

upload_2017-10-28_10-32-41.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here's a classic 1970s window decoration we had when I was 5 --love it!

View attachment 211262
I remember that one - it was one of my favorites too.

I also really liked these - we all had little plastic pumpkin pins that would light up when you pulled the chain. Endlessly entertaining to us at a young age!

IMG_0755.JPG

It was also great fun to try to talk properly wearing a set of these

IMG_0756.JPG

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember that one - it was one of my favorites too.

I also really liked these - we all had little plastic pumpkin pins that would light up when you pulled the chain. Endlessly entertaining to us at a young age!

View attachment 211263

It was also great fun to try to talk properly wearing a set of these

View attachment 211264

Oh, yeah! Those vampire teeth and goo! I had a set of those ... ^_^ Classic! I remember how uncomfortable they were to wear.

And I think I remember seeing those light up pins as well ... :oldthumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, Anastasia!

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, yeah! Those vampire teeth and goo! I had a set of those ... ^_^ Classic! I remember how uncomfortable they were to wear.

And I think I remember seeing those light up pins as well ... :oldthumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, Anastasia!
You're welcome. I love these retro kinds of threads. It's fun looking through old things, sifting through old memories. :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, since I haven't received much response, I'll just post another little piece of Halloween "thrill" from my childhood. Here's a record I got from Winchell's Donuts in the mid-70's. Enjoy.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you remember when all the masks were just thin plastic molded ones with little holes for the eyes and mouth, and an elastic string around the back?

IMG_2336.JPG

I don't really remember them as being all that scary. Animals and superheroes were common themes. And random character faces. Not so many "monsters" though.

IMG_2337.JPG

And when I was a kid we didn't have the plastic pumpkins. Most of the time we carried paper sacks given out by some store as a promotion.

IMG_2338.JPG

• Winner
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you remember when all the masks were just thin plastic molded ones with little holes for the eyes and mouth, and an elastic string around the back?
Those masks were cheap, but they were still fun to wear. And I remember that 'cat face' mask--that's a memory in a brain cell that hasn't been fired off for over forty years. Good choice!

I don't really remember them as being all that scary. Animals and superheroes were common themes. And random character faces. Not so many "monsters" though.
Very true. The funny thing was, I liked the one or two scary choices--the skeleton mask and the devil mask. And with that last one, my mom about had a fit, but my dad let me get it anyway, along with a pitchfork to complete the kid's costume. :doh: I'm sure my mom was relieved when the year following the devil costume mishap, I wanted to be the Incredible Hulk instead. (Amazingly, I just found these masks on the internet....here they are in all their ghoulish (and heroic) glory! Yippee!!

upload_2017-10-28_21-37-38.jpeg

upload_2017-10-28_21-36-12.jpeg
upload_2017-10-28_21-40-6.jpeg

As you can see, I wasn't quite getting the "Christian" thing just yet. :rolleyes: Yes, I needed Jesus ...
And when I was a kid we didn't have the plastic pumpkins. Most of the time we carried paper sacks given out by some store as a promotion.
I remember those bags, and I think I had a bag one year instead of a pumpkin.

Fun memories; and I got a LOAD of candy! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember the skeleton one very well ... my brother had one. And I remember seeing the devil along with the flames on the cape. Funny, I used to think when I was a kid that the devil must look like the one on the Underwood cans.

IMG_2339.JPG

I liked my sister's mask too. She picked the pink bunny.

IMG_2340.JPG

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember the skeleton one very well ... my brother had one. And I remember seeing the devil along with the flames on the cape. Funny, I used to think when I was a kid that the devil must look like the one on the Underwood cans.
Yes, I think I did too, if for no other reason than that I had almost no knowledge of the bible at that time.

[Thank you, Under Wood Cans, for giving me theology at the grocery store!] ^_^
jimmy-fallon-thank-you-notes.jpg

I liked my sister's mask too. She picked the pink bunny.

View attachment 211331
Oh, yeah. I remember that, too, know. Lol! The costume producers really liked their neon type colors back then, didn't they? And those elastic strings on the back of the mask; if they broke, it was 'heck' trying to fix them. So much for Halloween if they did break ... ^_^ ...unless you could make it to the TG&Y store before they closed at 9 pm.

5493622119_c76190f51a_z.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I think I did too, if for no other reason than that I had almost no knowledge of the bible at that time.

[Thank you, Under Wood Cans, for giving me theology at the grocery store!] ^_^
jimmy-fallon-thank-you-notes.jpg

Oh, yeah. I remember that, too, know. Lol! The costume producers really liked their neon type colors back then, didn't they? And those elastic strings on the back of the mask; if they broke, it was 'heck' trying to fix them. So much for Halloween if they did break ... ^_^ ...unless you could make it to the TG&Y store before they closed at 9 pm.

5493622119_c76190f51a_z.jpg

For me it was Theology in my grandma's kitchen cabinet. I had a children's book of Bible stories, but it was mostly the way they depicted God in the OT that scared me to death. Thank God things got straightened out for me. I seriously used to look at that can and wonder why the devil looked so happy, and figured he would be easy to recognize, and struggled a bit with making sense of the OT. Fortunately I was introduced to Jesus and He always made sense to me. :)

And the strings - Ha! I remember poking new holes and feeding that little metal pin through. And I remember trying to tie the string back on the pin when it came off (never successful). Tape worked but I used it to create a new pin, not to tape down the string, which probably would been more successful. Of course now I can see I could have easily reinforced the mask with tape, poked a new hole, and if the pin was missing just tie knots in the string to hold it through the hole but apparently I wasn't that brilliant as a child lol. My mom and grandma left me to figure things out apparently instead of fixing things as we tend to do for children today.

And I loved TG&Y! It was better than K-mart. Haven't seen that logo in a long time. :)

• Winner
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me it was Theology in my grandma's kitchen cabinet. I had a children's book of Bible stories, but it was mostly the way they depicted God in the OT that scared me to death. Thank God things got straightened out for me. I seriously used to look at that can and wonder why the devil looked so happy, and figured he would be easy to recognize, and struggled a bit with making sense of the OT. Fortunately I was introduced to Jesus and He always made sense to me. :)
That's sweet to think you got some theology from your grandma's kitchen cabinet. I wish I could say the same.

As for the little red laughing devil symbols, I seem to remember something similar on some kid's tennis shoes my parents bought for me from K-mart, and I had about the same feelings toward it. Unfortunately, I was also intrigued by the seeming mystery of the lil' red devil, and not so much by Jesus. Praise God that later in my life, after many a Halloween had passed as a young kid, Jesus finally became relevant to me. Actually, no. Relevant is an understatement: He became a necessity of sanity for me. :)

Of course, if I had been a smart kid, I would've realized some of this when I got sick with pneumonia upon Trick-or-Treating in 6th grade...as the Grim Reaper. Needless to say, after that I was kind of weened away from Halloween! ^_^

And the strings - Ha! I remember poking new holes and feeding that little metal pin through. And I remember trying to tie the string back on the pin when it came off (never successful). Tape worked but I used it to create a new pin, not to tape down the string, which probably would been more successful. Of course now I can see I could have easily reinforced the mask with tape, poked a new hole, and if the pin was missing just tie knots in the string to hold it through the hole but apparently I wasn't that brilliant as a child lol. My mom and grandma left me to figure things out apparently instead of fixing things as we tend to do for children today.

And I loved TG&Y! It was better than K-mart. Haven't seen that logo in a long time. :)
You obviously were more ingenous with fixing those drated masks than I was, or than my own parents were. And if you could fix your own mask, it was a good thing since it was also unlikely you'd find a duplicate of it on the shelf at TG&Y, at least not for very long.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God has His way of getting to each of us, thankfully. :) I can't say I learned anything good from contemplating those little cans of ham. But very thankful that God made Himself real, in your life and in mine.

We don't actually "do" Halloween and haven't for some years. But when I was a kid it wasn't focused on being overly gruesome, at least not for us. I don't recall ever being scared, except by a flying bug that got entangled in my hair. ;)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God has His way of getting to each of us, thankfully. :) I can't say I learned anything good from contemplating those little cans of ham. But very thankful that God made Himself real, in your life and in mine.

We don't actually "do" Halloween and haven't for some years. But when I was a kid it wasn't focused on being overly gruesome, at least not for us. I don't recall ever being scared, except by a flying bug that got entangled in my hair. ;)
I haven't actually "done" Halloween either for several years, but on my part, some of that comes simply from not knowing anyone who likes to celebrate Halloween in a creative manner that isn't given to either sheer, diabolical, and bloody darkness (non-Christian), or to an overly simplistic, tail-gating event for children (Christian).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I haven't actually "done" Halloween either for several years, but on my part, some of that comes simply from not knowing anyone who likes to celebrate Halloween in a creative manner that isn't given to either sheer, diabolical, and bloody darkness (non-Christian), or to an overly simplistic, tail-gating event for children (Christian).

Much the same here. No friends who do anything for it, and no children. My daughter went to a party a few years ago and I helped her with her costume. I've bought candy to have it in case kids show up. That's about it. My husband would probably be disapproving anyway.

I like putting potted chrysanthemums on the front porch, sometimes hanging a doily-print thankfulness-harvest theme in the kitchen. Sometimes a do a gourd centerpiece. That's about the extent of my fall decorating. I like spring and Christmas decorating, and fall for just being outside. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The vintage stuff is fun though. I love remembering things. I really wish I could find the kinds of Christmas decorations from my Grandma's house. Those are my favorite holiday-vintage memories. :)

I definitely have some good memories from my early childhood too. I still reminisce about holidays at "Grandma's House." ...**sigh**... ;)

Anyway, thanks for the responses, Anastasia.

And Happy Halloween!!
il_340x270.818158715_tg2c.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Halloween was evil in my household..

I'm so sorry to hear that, MehGuy. That was probably a bummer for you, wasn't it? Halloween wasn't considered evil in my household as a kid, BUT I will say that my mom was hesitant about the 'devil' costume I wore in the 1st grade. And I'm almost certain she hated the Grim Reaper costumer I wore in the 6th grade. All I can say is that I had fun parading at the public school and trick-or-treating around the neighborhood on Halloween, getting a boat load of candy.:swoon:

Upvote 0