Visit site
✟4,976.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I like to read about the covered wagon days. I like to read the Christian books like the Love Comes Softly series by that one author.... I know it starts with a J and her last name is Oak. Anyways I like reading how folks depended on God for their very basic needs and lives. It shows that they truly had faith in the Lord to see them through everything. I know it is non-fiction but it still based on some real struggles.

Which remindes me of something that happened at work a while ago.

I was sitting in the office and talking with my co-workers and we were joking around about age. I'm much younger than they are and somehow we got on the subject of covered wagon days.... I looked at my much older co-worker and asked completly dead-panned face and said "Was it scary when ya'll had to put the wagons in a circle when the indians where coming to get ya?" Boy, I got smacked for that one, I think my head still hurts from that, I thought it was funny :D :D :D Still don't know to this day what possessed me to ask that :p :D

Anna

Upvote 0

East Anglican

Nov 15, 2003
Suffolk, England
Visit site
✟16,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
UK-Conservative
ZaraDurden said:
I love, and I mean love the U.S. Revolutionary War period. The events that led to the successful seperation of the United States from Great Britain seem more incredible every time I look at them. The characters were incredible- my favorite Washington. When you talk about the best leaders of all time, and some of the greatest men of all time, you cannot leave out George Washington. Its hard for me to think of a man that could exist in this time that could command the respect of everyone around him like Washington did. Andrew Jackson was just a teenager at the time, but there is another guy who was an awesome character. I wouldnt want to be on his bad side. I am a history major in college, but U.S. history is just so much more fascinating to me than the rest of world history. I could talk about it for hours and hours....

:cry: Our boys surrendered to The French. :blush:

Upvote 0

East Anglican

Nov 15, 2003
Suffolk, England
Visit site
✟16,588.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
UK-Conservative
My favourite era is the beginning of the 21st century. No black death going around, No highwaymen robbing travelers on the highway in Britian. Nice centrally heated houses. No gunslingers and indians out west in the states. We've never had it so good!

Upvote 0

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Our boys surrendered to The French.

Did you know that literally, your boys did try to surrender to the French? When Cornwallis was cornered at Yorktown, American troops snuck into his camp at night and that pretty much was the end of the war. So when it came time for the surrender ceremony, it would seem your man Cornwallis was "too sick" to participate. So, when the British forces came marching out, with all due pomp and circumstance, the band playing "the world's been turned upside down", one of Cornwallis's right hand men carrying his sword. In response, The Marquis de LaFayette had the American band play "yankee doodle" (for those of you who do not realize, a song which blatently insults Amerians) as a joke on them. So, Cornwallis's man seeing G. Washington on his horse, and the French commander (I forget his name) next to him on his, tried to surrender his sword to the Frenchman! But he would not take the sword, and he had to (shamefully) surrender to George Washington.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
It's a toss-up for me.

In American history, I'd have to go with the Revolution. So many great minds collected for one goal: Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Paine... a collection of great men the nation hasn't seen the likes of ever since...

Looking at the rest of the world, I'm a fan of the Renaissance: between Leonardo Da Vinci and Niccolo Machiavelli, I'm a happy student.

Upvote 0

theeyesoftammyfaye

no parking baby - no parking on the dance floor
Nov 18, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
✟18,673.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ZaraDurden said:
Andrew Jackson was just a teenager at the time, but there is another guy who was an awesome character
the same andrew jackson who signed into law the indian removal act? the one who removed thousands and thousands of native americans from their homeland and sent them on the trail of tears, wiping out much of the native american population in the process?

sorry something about him strikes me as NOT "awesome"

and to answer the thread, i'd have to say the 80s were the best time. life was lived to its fullest, the future seemed bright, everyone was so care free, yet also cared about one another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
theeyesoftammyfaye said:
the same andrew jackson who signed into law the indian removal act? the one who removed thousands and thousands of native americans from their homeland and sent them on the trail of tears, wiping out much of the native american population in the process?

sorry something about him strikes me as NOT "awesome"

and to answer the thread, i'd have to say the 80s were the best time. life was lived to its fullest, the future seemed bright, everyone was so care free, yet also cared about one another.
I didnt say I loved EVERYTHING Andrew Jackson did, I said he was an awesome character. And as a partial defense, Andrew Jackson didn't personally have a hate for the Native Americans, his actions were largely motivated by politcal pressure of his supporters. That still does not make them OK, though. And, I am not saying you should, but if you were so inclined to search the threads dealing with Native American history and what the conquistadors, Colombus, the Puritans, or Virginia colonists did to them, you would find my constant condemnation of their actions.

I think Andrew Jackson is so interesting because of his toughness, mainly. He usually made his political enemies pay a price for their stance. Here is a guy who gets shot in the chest in a duel and pretends like he's not hit so the other fellow will die thinking he missed.

Awesome charcter does not mean I have to love all of Andrew Jackson and what he did. One could say Hilter was an awesome charcter because of the power he commanded, but they dont necessarily have to condone his actions.

Upvote 0

Fiskare

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
✟1,369.00
Faith
Christian
I love the Napoleonic era, as well as the early 18th century, in particular the Great Northern War. I'm a fanatical student of those times in history. I have a big collection of books about them and I am working on a book regarding a topic in the Napoleonic era.

Interesting thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
buffybot said:
where i do as i can find things with my metal detector over a period of 3000 thousand years.Thank you Lord :bow:
Great point! In the US we have such a shorter period of history to work with! I watched a program on Civil War era fighting where someone had dug up an odd artifact - A blob of metal that was actually two musket rounds that had collided with each other MID-AIR!!! The owner commented that those two riflemen inadventantly saved each other by firing simultaneously.

Upvote 0

buffybot

Dec 6, 2003
Kent,England
✟134.00
Faith
Protestant
HI Kelly

Where i live in north kent,Gravesend infact i am 20 miles from London and about 60 from Dover.Rochester and Canterbury are a short distance away so in terms of being in the right place of the u.k i could not be in a better place.
I belong to a metal detecting club and this helps a lot,and you may have a shorter history,but it is not always the lengh of time but what you do in the time you have that really counts.( u.s done a lot in 400 years)
Funny thing is i was reading about Pocahontas last night and she was buried about two miles from where i live and i was thinking is anyone here from Virginia?

Upvote 0