your favorite era

NeonBlack

Nov 17, 2003
Oregon
✟375.00
Faith
Protestant
Just a simple question,

what is your favorite era, doesnt matter where etc...

and why do you like it?

I am really into the 1920s and the 1940s

why? well mostly because of the fashion, the simplicity of life... ww2 was interesting to study for me (except the pacific theatre, too many islands! o_O ), i mean the city i grew up in was directly effected by the war, we had a interment camp for the japanese americans that lived in our area :(

the 1920s had some great music, great politics, and most definately great fashion...

i really like the vintage looks taht are going on right now, not the silly emo vintage but true vintage.

my favorite historical era would probably be ancient egypt, about the time of joseph...

also ancient rome and greece are interesting, with all the philosophies, mythology, the way of life, the way they interacted with other cultures, the way they helped jumpstart technology etc

...and surprisngly history is my least favorite subject to study!

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolute favorite era would be World War II and the early Cold War Era, say from 1946 up to about 1963 or so.

I also find parts of the Medieval Era fascinating.

After that, there are a lot of different things from various periods that interest me, but WWII and the 1950's Cold War are definitely tops.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Neon, we have similar favorite periods. The 20's-mid 40's were such a wonderous time. Great music (the birth of jazz, the first truly american form of music, great fashions, "men were men and women were women"..

WWII, the closest thing to a holy war in quite some time. You can't get much more of good vs. evil than that. The growing fear of Russia, even before the end of WWII that literally catapulted us into the Cold War before the peace document's ink had dried.

Upvote 0

ashibaka

ShiiAce
Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
✟9,047.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I think the same as Wolseley. He didn't say why he liked the United States during the early Cold War particularly, but I find it interesting because of the strange similarities to fascism in the American culture of the time.

I also enjoyed learning about the ancient Greeks in history class. :)

Upvote 0

Garry Denke

Sep 11, 2003
Plano, Texas USA
✟266.00
Faith
Catholic
Kelly said:
Neon, we have similar favorite periods.

A period? I thought NeonBlack said era. Well, the British Geological Survey (BGS) says Late Palaeozoic Era, Carboniferous Period, for my favorite era and period respectively, but the United States Geological Survey (USGS) says Late Paleozoic Era, Mississippian Period and Pennsylvanian Period for the same Carboniferous Period. Not being a worldly person myself, I thought it best to ask Jesus, the Christ, about BGS' and USGS' different nomenclature, in order that my answer here for NeonBlack's thread concerning favorite eras and periods would be precise, and correctly stated.

So I asked Jesus, "Do you use BGS' spelling 'Late Palaeozoic Era' or USGS' spelling 'Late Paleozoic Era' when describing the time era 417 million years to 248 million years before present, and do you use BGS' nomenclature 'Carboniferous Period' for such time era 354 million years to 290 million years before present or USGS' nomenclature 'Mississippian Period' for such time era 354 million years to 327 million years before present and 'Pennsylvanian Period' for such time era 327 million years to 290 million years before present?"

And Jesus said, "G'S US more specific, a."

Blessings,

Garry Denke

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Era means more than geologic era!

Main Entry: era
Pronunciation: 'ir-&, 'er-&, 'E-r&
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin aera, from Latin, counters, plural of aer-, aes copper, money -- more
Date: 1615
1 a : a fixed point in time from which a series of years is reckoned b : a memorable or important date or event; especially : one that begins a new period in the history of a person or thing
2 : a system of chronological notation computed from a given date as basis
3 a : a period identified by some prominent figure or characteristic feature b : a stage in development (as of a person or thing) c : a large division of geologic time usually shorter than an eon <Paleozoic era>

Upvote 0

Heathen Dawn

Gesta Dei per Francos
Aug 13, 2003
Israel
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Middle Ages, circa 13th century. A nice age of faith where belief in God was synonymous with rationality, and the science of the day backed up faith. With special creationism, marking mankind as the pinnacle of God&#8217;s plan, and geocentrism, marking him as the centre of God&#8217;s interest, mankind truly had a consoling, comforting worldview, no matter how short and troubled earthly life was.

Of course, I&#8217;m now a heliocentrist and evolutionist, but I still believe in God and the afterlife ... without the support of science, unfortunately; that is the price to be paid for modernity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Garry Denke

Sep 11, 2003
Plano, Texas USA
✟266.00
Faith
Catholic
Kelly said:
Era means more than geologic era!

Main Entry: era
Pronunciation: 'ir-&, 'er-&, 'E-r&
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin aera, from Latin, counters, plural of aer-, aes copper, money -- more
Date: 1615
1 a : a fixed point in time from which a series of years is reckoned b : a memorable or important date or event; especially : one that begins a new period in the history of a person or thing
2 : a system of chronological notation computed from a given date as basis
3 a : a period identified by some prominent figure or characteristic feature b : a stage in development (as of a person or thing) c : a large division of geologic time usually shorter than an eon <Paleozoic era>

Thanks Kelly. It certainly does. However, in order to specifically describe my favorite era, I had to turn to Jesus, the Christ, once again. My favorite era, therefore, and accordingly, is termed the Late Paleozoic Era, and my favorite period is termed the Pennsylvanian Period, being the age of the NeonBlack Coal, my favorite formation bed. Why? Because of that certain specific Late Carboniferous fossil in it, being 327 million years old, chronostratigraphically marking the Mississippian Period below.

Blessings,

Garry Denke

Upvote 0

MsAnne

:)
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
✟12,333.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I'm fascinated by the Mediaeval Period. I know it was a brazenly decadent era, but it still intrigues me. The clothing, the flamboyance, the banquets, the parties. It seems everything was elaborate. Pleasure was the order of the day.

Now, I realize that may not be the best way to live daily life, but gosh, reading about it brings an air of amazing fantasy.

Upvote 0

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I love, and I mean love the U.S. Revolutionary War period. The events that led to the successful seperation of the United States from Great Britain seem more incredible every time I look at them. The characters were incredible- my favorite Washington. When you talk about the best leaders of all time, and some of the greatest men of all time, you cannot leave out George Washington. Its hard for me to think of a man that could exist in this time that could command the respect of everyone around him like Washington did. Andrew Jackson was just a teenager at the time, but there is another guy who was an awesome character. I wouldnt want to be on his bad side. I am a history major in college, but U.S. history is just so much more fascinating to me than the rest of world history. I could talk about it for hours and hours....

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I love the histories of Japan and Spain (particularly Sengoku Jidai to WWII in Japan, and in Spain I like between period in Moorish domination and before the defeat of the Spanish Armada (since Spain's power fell greatly after that, so the country ceases to be as interesting))

Upvote 0