Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who here has done research into their family tree? I did a few years ago and boy did I learn way more than I wanted to. I actually discovered who my paternal grandfather was. My father didn't know him. He was not a good man, to put it very lightly, and had 16 children that we know of. I also did the Ancestry and 23andMe DNA tests as well. Shockingly, I'm very European...he said sarcastically ^_^

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My dad shared some info before he passed.
It turns out that (unlike Fess Parker) Daniel Boone [5'8"] was not a big man... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who here has done research into their family tree? I did a few years ago and boy did I learn way more than I wanted to. I actually discovered who my paternal grandfather was. My father didn't know him. He was not a good man, to put it very lightly, and had 16 children that we know of. I also did the Ancestry and 23andMe DNA tests as well. Shockingly, I'm very European...he said sarcastically ^_^

16 kids! Remarkable.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have done a bit of my family tree. So far, i can trace back relatives who lived in Buckingham palace!

nWave_TheQueensCorgi_Mischief.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did mine as far as I could get, back to the early 1400s on one side. The other was more difficult and I only made it back to the 1700s. We had family on both sides of the Revolutionary war, no one famous or anything but one was arrested for being a Loyalist. One man pretty far back was with the group of early Puritans arriving in Boston.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yep, I did it a few years ago cos my dad was adopted, so I was curious. It was pretty neat. I got in touch via the company's website with his biological sister, who is really nice. Sad that that only happened after he passed, but I know they had exchanged emails and met once a few years back. It's crazy how much they look alike. It's like still seeing him around...except he's a lady now, I guess. :confused: (Cue the Aerosmith hahaha)

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Being adopted, some time ago, I did some research into my biological family history. I didn't get very far on my mother's side, but on my father's side, I found some interesting leads.
I managed to find a book online with photos of my ancestors who came from Cornwall (SW England). There were plenty of photos in the book. A friend came around for coffee one day, picked up the book, browsed through it and told me that some of the photos had a peculiar resemblance to me!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wish I could find a book - that would be awesome!

Working on some records now. For one ancestor where the obit said they would be buried isn't where their headstone is located. (Realize they could have been moved). Even found a census enumerator that was related to my husband interviewed one of my relatives and their families. Of course, not all findings were so pleasant. For another relative, at an early age, he wan't listed anymore as being in their household. Had he passed? Moved? Thought they must not have had a good relationship. But he had established his own household - next door to them.

Disappointed that most of the 1890 census records were destroyed. Also, using ancestry a lot. Asks to use familysearch but haven't received permission yet. Is there another resource?

I've searched but unable to find out what this symbol ^ means within their name. Do you know about it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Our parents have both been gone for over 10 years. Other than knowing their ancestors were German, Ukrainian, and Polish, they didn’t know much else. Several years ago, my sister did an Ancestry DNA profile. Her results were 98% eastern and central European, 1% southern European (Italy and Greece,) and 1% Middle Eastern (we have no idea where that came from.) It jives with the geographic info we were told. So I’ll assume I’m the same.

I know one kinda interesting detail from my father’s side. His grandfather emigrated from the Ukraine in the 19th century. He left because he didn’t want to be drafted into the Russian army. (To this day, I think Ukrainians still generally despise Russians.) Probably a smart move. I’m sure being a foot soldier in the Czar’s army was no picnic. So AFAIK, there’s no one notable among my ancestors. Just a draft dodger. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0