Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them.

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To illustrate you will need to refer to the Genesis 1 account. Assume for the sake of the argument that an evening and morning consist of a single 24 hour period of time.

Now, let's say that I bring a fully grown Adam to you on day 8 and ask you how old he is. What would your answer be?

Recognize that all true Christians will be Calvinists in glory....

Your friendly neighborhood Cordial Calvinist
Woody.

Battie

Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Northern Virginia
Visit site
✟9,989.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
He'd be two days old.

And if you want to believe that the earth was created to look old too, fine. And maybe it is that way, but I don't think it is.

I have no problem with people who want to believe in a young earth based on faith alone. I just have a problem when people claim that there is evidence of a young earth or that there is something wrong with Christians who don't take Genesis literally.

Upvote 0

Dal M.

...more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...
Jan 28, 2004
Ohio
✟9,758.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Hi, CCW. What you're using here is the Omphalos argument - the argument that God gave the universe a false history. Omphalos was first proposed about 150 years ago, and it never received much attention because it's completely worthless.

Suppose I claim that God created the universe last Thursday and implanted false memories in everyone so we'd believe we'd been around longer than that. You couldn't argue with me, could you? And yet, despite the fact that the stance is unassailable, the notion is so ludicrous that it can be safely disregarded.

Plus the Omphalos argument makes God a trickster. Maybe you could say that there's a good reason why Adam was created as an adult, but you'd have a much more difficult time explaining why the universe contains the remnants of supernovas where there were never stars, and why the ground is full of fossils that were never the bones of living animals.

Reactions: meebs
Upvote 0

michabo

reason, evidence
Nov 11, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
✟14,055.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm with Nathan Poe. All you've shown is that a magical being like God can create things which are really two days old but which appeal thousands or billions of years old.

I don't see how this supports your case that our eyes deceive us. (Strangely, I'm inclined to agree with that statement, though I'll hold off, waiting to see where you're going with this.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dal M. said:
Hi, CCW. What you're using here is the Omphalos argument - the argument that God gave the universe a false history. Omphalos was first proposed about 150 years ago, and it never received much attention because it's completely worthless.

Suppose I claim that God created the universe last Thursday and implanted false memories in everyone so we'd believe we'd been around longer than that. You couldn't argue with me, could you? And yet, despite the fact that the stance is unassailable, the notion is so ludicrous that it can be safely disregarded.

Plus the Omphalos argument makes God a trickster. Maybe you could say that there's a good reason why Adam was created as an adult, but you'd have a much more difficult time explaining why the universe contains the remnants of supernovas where there were never stars, and why the ground is full of fossils that were never the bones of living animals.
What, you mean that the idea that Creation occured over 6 days and 6 nights was first proposed only 150 years ago. Surely you jest. ;)

But, seriously, whether or not Adam had a belly button might be an interesting argument to review and I'm not opposed to going through it for the sake of arguments (whether or not I think it a good argument or not). After all, I never mind which direction my threads go. There is a certain fun and excitement just watching a thread evolve as if it has a life of its own. Besides, there really are a thousand and one variations of the theme carried out all the time.

The point is, and it is not so much about your eyes deceiving you, but that we are often blinded by our own particular biases one way or the other. I believe it was my new Atheist brother michabo that stated on the thread where this topic originated "your desires deceive you." As a Calvinist, I certainly have no problem with that one. (I'm hoping we are not just talking past each other with one liners from the mind of George Lucas.)

[bible]Jeremiah 17:9[/bible]

The illustration with Adam was not so much to drag up any notion that God has purposefully deceived people, but that I plainly told you the answer to the question. Any attempt at analysis, which it may arrive at the correct answer, might fail due to self-deception by one's individual bias.

Woody.

Upvote 0

michabo

reason, evidence
Nov 11, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
✟14,055.00
Faith
Atheist
CCWoody said:
The illustration with Adam was not so much to drag up any notion that God has purposefully deceived people, but that I plainly told you the answer to the question. Any attempt at analysis, which it may arrive at the correct answer, might fail due to self-deception by one's individual bias.
So, in summary, once you allow for the possibility of an unpredictable and deceptive entity capable of doing anything, you can not trust anything. Is that about right?

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
michabo said:
So, in summary, once you allow for the possibility of an unpredictable and deceptive entity capable of doing anything, you can not trust anything. Is that about right?
Not at all. For the sake of the argument, it is presumed that Genesis 1 is correct and interpreted as literally 6 days. I TOLD YOU THE TRUTH. The intent was not to deceive, but to inform.

I said "your eyes can deceive you."
You said "your desires can deceive you."

Woody.

Upvote 0

michabo

reason, evidence
Nov 11, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
✟14,055.00
Faith
Atheist
CCWoody said:
Not at all. For the sake of the argument, it is presumed that Genesis 1 is correct and interpreted as literally 6 days. I TOLD YOU THE TRUTH. The intent was not to deceive, but to inform.

But God has constructed everything to appear older, so anyone present at the time would incorrectly decide it was older. Right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
michabo said:
But God has constructed everything to appear older, so anyone present at the time would incorrectly decide it was older. Right?
Ok, under today's best scientific explaination the age of the cosmos is not what it appears to be. Ascribing motive to that is another matter.

As to the anyone present making the wrong conclusion, I suppose that depends upon whether or not you will trust me that I have told you the truth. Again, this is merely in charity for the sake of the argument. I am not making dogmatic statements about what we should agree IS the reality. Merely continuing to examine my argument presented in the OP.

Woody.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
jellybean said:
But what would be the point? i mean why? WHY?
Please elaborate so that I can respond correctly. Thanks,

Woody.

Upvote 0

michabo

reason, evidence
Nov 11, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
✟14,055.00
Faith
Atheist
CCWoody,

Right. So if we have some magical entity (God) that can do anything, then we can trust nothing.

Of course, that also means that you can't trust the bible or anything else that you might see, touch, feel, or believe. It means that Last Thursdayism is just as likely as any other ideas.

So, now that we agree. What do we do about it?

Upvote 0

I_Love_Cheese

Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
✟9,374.00
Faith
Agnostic
CCWoody said:

Woody.
No you didn't tell us the TRUTH, you gave us a hypothetical, and it would appear that you are as likely deceived as we if you consider your scenario to be the TRUTH.

Upvote 0