Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A while ago I spent seven years volunteering and then working as a mental health peer support coordinator. This was with a non faith based organization. Through my experience there I met some amazing people, many with serious health concerns, who were able to see beyond their own suffering and were able to help others in significant ways. I found my work extremely rewarding, and have many fond memories of the people I served and worked with.

Just wondering what others have experienced in helping people meet their needs, who with a little support or advocacy were able to step forward in some way to improve their lives.

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, my own experience I first thought of is similar to yours, in the field of mental health. Although I was was one of the patients, not an official part of the staff designed to help them. I guess it could be summed up the same: we all suffered and sought help, and ended up that week being able to see beyond our own suffering in order to help each other through as much as we had help from the nurses and doctors. .... Perhaps not-so-surprisingly, though in a secular setting, there were many proudly professed Christians there - both staff and patient - who worked hand-in-hand quite well with the atheists (and those who really did not say either way what they believed but ... shall we say, as non-judgmentally as I can mean this, did not live well considering the stories they told us) to help one another try to make it through the evil that plagued us all one way or another.

Perhaps, that one week was when I never did more charity for another suffering soul and also had charity directed towards me by both believer and yet-to-be-believer alike. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,087.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While I do a bit of volunteering with the Saint Vincent de Paul Society, this story is about another charity, which I won't name. It's basically a Protestant outfit to which we donated a fridge and freezer a couple of years ago, as Vinnies won't take electrical items.

I was talking to one of their volunteers recently, and he told me that at one time he'd had a wife, family, nice home and reasonably good job. But then he had a (motorbike?) accident. The painkillers he was on contained morphine, to which he became addicted. From there I presume he became a drug addict.

Somehow he became a Christian, and kicked the habit, but in the meantime lost his job, wife, family and home, which he wouldn't have time to regain as he's now middle aged. But he's now doing what he can to help others through his service with this charity.

I might add a story related to me by another Vinnies member. He and another person went to help a lady who had no power, no furniture, and a family to feed. They gave her some assistance with the food, and probably made arrangements to help her to get the power connected. They were also going to put in a request for furniture.

But as they were leaving one of the neighbours happened to be watching. He asked them why they were there. They told him and then left.

For some reason the chap I know dropped back to see the lady a few days later, to check on her furniture order, only to be told she didn't need it. Apparently the neighbour who had seen them leaving a few days before had gone up and down the street door knocking to see if the other neighbours could donate surplus requirements.

And when the Vinnies member went back, she had a house full of furniture.

Due to another neighbour who had seen the need and decided to do something about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0