A single voice above the noise
Jan 21, 2006
Australia
✟8,767.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Engaged
I have grown up in a spirit filled church and I gave my life to Christ when I was 6 years old in an alter call at church. I was very used to people speaking in tongues as I had heard lots of people doing it, including my parents. I always thought it was just a 'grown up' thing and I never wanted to speak in tongues.
When I got to the age of 15 I heard people my age speaking in tongues and I decided that I wanted to speak in tongues. In my prayer time with God I would ask him for the gift of speaking in tongues and I just expected him to literally take control of my tongue and make me speak in tongues. After many months of waiting this never actually happened so I just gave up asking and thought that this gift was not for me.
Just after my 17th birthday I went to a Christian youth conference. There were many different seminars at the conference and they all had really random spiritual titles and I had no idea what each conference was about. I ended up going to one which was about receiving the gift of the tongues. In the seminar the preacher taught us about what tongues were and how to receive it and that God desired it for each and every one of his followers. In the end we split up into mini groups and there was someone in each group that spoke in tongues. That person prayed for us to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and they told us to just start with a random meaningless word and just keep saying it and thinking things to pray to God about in your head. As I started doing this I just started speaking in tongues and it was such an amazing feeling and I feel a lot closer to God.
As I look back now, I know that it was no accident that I ended up in the seminar about receiving the gift of tongues. I am very glad that I can speak in tongues because sometimes when I run out of things to pray I just pray in tongues and I feel like God is understanding me completely. It's a bit hard to explain.

You can use me on your website if you want. My details are: Laura - Australia.

Upvote 0

AllTalkNoAction

Potentially Wonderful
Aug 7, 2005
Near London, England
Visit site
✟11,923.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was brought up Anglican, but I only went because my dad wanted me to go, there
was nothing inspiring there for me so when I left for University I stopped going.
While there I started to consider the purpose of my life, and realised I didn't have one
that satisfied me, "the world was my oyster", but there was no pearl !

So when some people who obviously believed in the bible spoke to me I decided to investigate
properly. I started going to various church meetings and was told to pray a “sinners prayer”,
believing, and as such I was "a Christian". For the next 18 months I continued going to
meetings and reading books by people considered to be "Christian leaders" to try and work
out God's will for me,
without success! All I got was opinions.

Then I met people who were not going to different churches and reading lots of books about
God, they had a confidence and contentment I had not attained to, despite my efforts.
I realised my relationship with God was mostly one-way, from me, not the daily, growing
2-way relationship they seemed to have.

They had received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (an unlearned prayer language
that God leads his people in, cos only he knows his perfect will for us, it allows him to minister
his grace & love to our hearts - 1 Cor. 14v2, 4; Jude 20-21). They also had other direct input
and leading from God. After a while I realised I was getting nowhere spiritually so for the
first time I actually prayed expecting God to *do* something... namely give me the same
as them or whatever else I needed.

One evening I was alone in my room, not doubting or fearing, just believing God had said
yes to me (because he could have no favourites), I spoke in tongues and in the days that
followed I realised I had the Life spoken of in the bible, whereas before I was trying to be
something I was not ! I used to worry and get bored, now I see God opening my understanding
about why things are the way they are, and more importantly, what life can be like.

I left the old churches because I could see they was as I was before, not as I wanted to be.
The church I'm now in is like the one in the new testament, all members have the new Life,
we have a unity I never found before. I now have contentment and fulfilling purpose that
only the living God can give. I am now able to know and live according to God’s nature
because I have His heart and mind through the Holy Spirit in me.

Upvote 0

Kizza

Mar 12, 2005
Sydney
✟185.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
Having grown up a Roman Catholic, I knew a lot about Jesus but never really got to know Him until 7 years ago. Even then, I was still very much a sceptic in terms of the gift of tongues and being slain in the spirit.

Shortly after I made a decision for Christ, I went to a big Christian conference hoping to find a fuller experience of Jesus. I got more than I could ever have hoped.

There was an altar call on the first day of the conference. I felt the call to go. I barely reached the altar before I promptly fell to my knees.

What I felt wasn't the ecstacy that many of my friends describe but an overwhelming feeling of just how holy God is and how unholy I truly am. A feeling of deep, inner peace came over me as I experienced God's love in it's fullness for the first time. By this point I couldn't lift my face from the floor.

Reality as I had known it seemed to take a back seat as I made my way back to the rows of seats in the arena. I couldn't even remember where I sat.

I felt a call again this time to sit in an otherwise random seat. A guy about my age sitting behind me (I was to later find out his name was Anthony) asked me to take him down the front. I thought for a moment to tell him that I wasn't a minister, that I wasn't qualified to do such a thing. My thoughts were quashed before I could open my mouth.

I felt like asking for help because I had no idea what to do next. Instead, God himself instructed me to lay hands on him and listen.

Anthony fell prostrate and started talking in a language I had never heard. Regardless, I knew he was making peace with God.

The two of us have become good friends. Anthony works as a bricklayer and I do odd jobs at church. The thing that connects us more than that experience in itself, though, is the passion we both have to share the love of Jesus in everything we do.

That to me is the physical evidence of the Holy Spirit's presence. He is evidenced in the love in what I say and what I do. I have met christians who are filled with the Holy Spirit and have never spoken in tongues. I know they're spirit-filled because everything they do they do out of love for Christ and love for their fellow man. Anybody who claims to be spirit-filled but doesn't act in love is, in my eyes, a fraud and I've met many.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was a teen... shortly after I was saved...
I did not know any Christians. I was saved reading a tract. I purchased a living Bible. I read Acts. I decided this was for me.

I knelt down next to my bed fully expecting to speak in tongues. I did not. I began prophesy. The words said:
"I have loved you with a great love..."

It was actually several months later that I began to speak in tongues with purpose and on purpose.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First off I want to thank all of you for sharing...what wonderful testimonies!!!

There have been some concerns voiced that this website is based around AoG doctrine.

It is true that I am an AoG worship Pastor, but I consider myself more aligned with the Charismatic movement.

If someone says they received the baptism of the Holy Spirit when they got saved I am not going to argue with them.

If they want to share how the Holy Spirit touched their life in a special way and it did not involve tongues or a prayer language that is fine. I have a whole category just for that.

The purpose of cloventonguesoffire.com is not to promote a denomination or a way of thinking, but to promote a deepening relationship with God by receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues.

I just want to see everyone experience what I experienced and I want to see every Christian pray in their prayer language...whatever will encourage others to seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit is what I want to include on this site.

Things that cause division I am not interested in including on this site.

I want to give people the opportunity to share what God has done and is doing in their lives ...not to facilitate a soap box to push a particular point of view.

People need a deep, intimate relationship with God more than they need the air they breathe...I pray with all my heart that this is what this website will be.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
O.K. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or just missing something...my pastor e-mailed the website to 400 Pentecostal ministers on Saturday and I only received one testimony from the mail out so far...I'm thinking...what gives?

Don't get me wrong...I am greatly appreciative to the testimonies that have been shared so far, but I was hoping there would be a better reception for the website and an increasingly diverse collection of testimonies.

Am I just anixious and expecting too much or do most Spirit filled Christians feel leary of sharing their personal experience with the Holy Spirit?

:scratch:
Don't think you are doing something wrong - people keep this pretty close to the vest.

Out of all my friends I have only one that is Spirit Filled and speaks in tongues - we don't talk about it to the others - they think we are crazy.

Before I became Spirit Filled - I use to call people who spoke in tongues Holy Rollers - the devil does a good job of keeping this pretty quiet.

Just post what you have and it will grow - if you get too many - people just read a few and move on.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't think you are doing something wrong - people keep this pretty close to the vest.

Out of all my friends I have only one that is Spirit Filled and speaks in tongues - we don't talk about it to the others - they think we are crazy.

Before I became Spirit Filled - I use to call people who spoke in tongues Holy Rollers - the devil does a good job of keeping this pretty quiet.

Just post what you have and it will grow - if you get too many - people just read a few and move on.
Yes, that may be true, but I think every testimony matters ... for many people... it will take hundreds ...even thousands of testimonies of people who have receieved the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for them to believe that it is real.

So every unique testimony matters significantly.

There is alot of misinformation out there ...especially on the internet.

The point of this website is:

1. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is real

2. Prayer Language (Speaking in Tongues) is a genuine gift from God. (not fake)

3. A deeper, more intimate relationship with God is available

Upvote 0

faithopelove

Veteran
Mar 21, 2006
✟21,321.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
You may use this on your website:

I grew up in a church, but it wasn’t spirit filled. It was more like a social club and I rarely went once I became a teenager. I was in the military, stationed in Germany, when I was actually saved. My now departed husband had the honor of leading me in the sinner’s prayer. This is when I actually began praying and reading my Bible (and listening when I went to church).

After returning to the States we began going to a spirit filled church and the first day my husband was filled with the spirit and spoke in tongues. I on the other hand did not speak in tongues for more than a year later. When I look back at that time I think I was trying too hard to rationalize and understand what was going on and I couldn’t get the concept of receiving by faith. I became frustrated and my relationship with God suffered for many years even after I was filled because I was so afraid of failing at everything to do with God. I sort of turned my salvation responsibilities over to my husband who was growing by reaps and bounds, and I began just going through the motions of being saved.

My husband died in 1996 and within a few months I realized I was in trouble. I began to seek God again and the first thing He lead me to do was to speak in tongues often by causing Jude 20 and 21 to leap off the page and into my heart.

JUDE-20 But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21 Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

Valerie-Texas

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,067.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A sort of disclaimer you might want to put on the site. I'm all for experiences with God, like you I'd want to see them promoted. The danger I is see and have run into this a few times and come across it in reading church history is this. Some have a new experience with God and then walk around feeling they are better than others who haven't had it. Now I think also people are excited because of this encounter with God or the Holy Spirit and those that haven't had it get defensive.
I've always said to people that bring up this idea that its helped me with my relationship with God but doesn't give me special privileges.

Anyways, if you think this diclaimer will help people be receptive to hour web site you can add it and word it how you think will work best.

dayhiker

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You may use this on your website:

I grew up in a church, but it wasn’t spirit filled. It was more like a social club and I rarely went once I became a teenager. I was in the military, stationed in Germany, when I was actually saved. My now departed husband had the honor of leading me in the sinner’s prayer. This is when I actually began praying and reading my Bible (and listening when I went to church).

After returning to the States we began going to a spirit filled church and the first day my husband was filled with the spirit and spoke in tongues. I on the other hand did not speak in tongues for more than a year later. When I look back at that time I think I was trying too hard to rationalize and understand what was going on and I couldn’t get the concept of receiving by faith. I became frustrated and my relationship with God suffered for many years even after I was filled because I was so afraid of failing at everything to do with God. I sort of turned my salvation responsibilities over to my husband who was growing by reaps and bounds, and I began just going through the motions of being saved.

My husband died in 1996 and within a few months I realized I was in trouble. I began to seek God again and the first thing He lead me to do was to speak in tongues often by causing Jude 20 and 21 to leap off the page and into my heart.

JUDE-20 But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21 Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

Valerie-Texas
Thank you so much for sharing that personal testimony.

It is testimonies like this that I think will minister to people who feel left out in the Spirit filled experience.

Thank you so very much for sharing it!

Blessings

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A sort of disclaimer you might want to put on the site. I'm all for experiences with God, like you I'd want to see them promoted. The danger I is see and have run into this a few times and come across it in reading church history is this. Some have a new experience with God and then walk around feeling they are better than others who haven't had it. Now I think also people are excited because of this encounter with God or the Holy Spirit and those that haven't had it get defensive.
I've always said to people that bring up this idea that its helped me with my relationship with God but doesn't give me special privileges.

Anyways, if you think this diclaimer will help people be receptive to hour web site you can add it and word it how you think will work best.

dayhiker
Two things I have resolved to do on this website

1. Approach everything in a positive manner (I think that is what the Lord would have me do and I think that is a correct representation of how His Spirit works)

2. Avoid things that could cause division (this really goes hand in hand with no. 1)

I think what you are suggesting is an excellent idea.

I think what I will do is make a "situations to avoid" section on the How to receive page.

Thanks so much for the great suggestion!!!

Upvote 0
O

onelamb

Sure, use mine-but I pretty much agree with the AoG position on this and am willing to discuss that with anyone who disagrees.

I had "heard" of this-(the Baptism in the Holy Spirit), but I didn't attend a church that taught it-and I just wasn't sure what was right and what wasnt'. For awhile, I believed it was something real and for me, then I'd hear another preacher and go the opposite way-first believing, then not believing it-finally, I began to seek the Lord Jesus Christ on this matter-and asked Him to teach me if it was right or wrong. Over a period of about 4 months He taught me through the scriptures that He wanted all of His children to receive-so I asked Jesus to baptise me in the Holy Spirit-but for quite a while-nothing happened-no bolts of lightning, nobody moved my mouth for me, and I just couldn't quite "get it". Then one night I had a dream and woke up praying in a language I didn't know. But
banghead.gif
dense as I am-I still wasn't convinced. (I thought it was just a dream) A couple weeks later-I was praying alone in my dining room and asked Him "once again" to baptise me. I had a short "vision" for lack of a better term-of Jesus walking toward me-I was so humbled I couldn't look up at Him-but could clearly see His sandaled feet and the Hem of His garment-He had His Hand outstretched-and when He laid His Hands on my head-I fell to the floor on my knees-praying in a language I didn't know-the room drifted into the background and there was only Him. He is Love-manifested.
He changed me from someone who was "religious" to someone who absolutly fell in love with the King of Kings. Totally different relationship.

So, to answer your question--JESUS is the One who baptised me in the Holy Spirit---

"there is coming one who is mightier than I, it is He who baptises with the Holy Spirit"

As far as the "gift" of tongues-where one speaks in a church service-and the interpretation comes forth.===about a year or so after that-the Lord used me in that gift. I maybe have been used in that gift 6 or 7 times in my life-but tongues, as prayer and praise-much more often.
Jan from PA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sure, use mine-but I pretty much agree with the AoG position on this and am willing to discuss that with anyone who disagrees.

I had "heard" of this-(the Baptism in the Holy Spirit), but I didn't attend a church that taught it-and I just wasn't sure what was right and what wasnt'. For awhile, I believed it was something real and for me, then I'd hear another preacher and go the opposite way-first believing, then not believing it-finally, I began to seek the Lord Jesus Christ on this matter-and asked Him to teach me if it was right or wrong. Over a period of about 4 months He taught me through the scriptures that He wanted all of His children to receive-so I asked Jesus to baptise me in the Holy Spirit-but for quite a while-nothing happened-no bolts of lightning, nobody moved my mouth for me, and I just couldn't quite "get it". Then one night I had a dream and woke up praying in a language I didn't know. But
banghead.gif
dense as I am-I still wasn't convinced. (I thought it was just a dream) A couple weeks later-I was praying alone in my dining room and asked Him "once again" to baptise me. I had a short "vision" for lack of a better term-of Jesus walking toward me-I was so humbled I couldn't look up at Him-but could clearly see His sandaled feet and the Hem of His garment-He had His Hand outstretched-and when He laid His Hands on my head-I fell to the floor on my knees-praying in a language I didn't know-the room drifted into the background and there was only Him. He is Love-manifested.
He changed me from someone who was "religious" to someone who absolutly fell in love with the King of Kings. Totally different relationship.

So, to answer your question--JESUS is the One who baptised me in the Holy Spirit---

"there is coming one who is mightier than I, it is He who baptises with the Holy Spirit"

As far as the "gift" of tongues-where one speaks in a church service-and the interpretation comes forth.===about a year or so after that-the Lord used me in that gift. I maybe have been used in that gift 6 or 7 times in my life-but tongues, as prayer and praise-much more often.
Jan from PA
AWESOME!!! This is what I was speaking of when I was refering to the relational aspect of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I think it can (at least it did for me and apparently it did for you as well) bring a person into a deep, intimate relationship with God.

What an Awesome Testimony

Thank you for sharing!!!!
Blessings

Upvote 0

missprayerwarrior

Jun 25, 2007
Mississippi
✟15,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was raised in a denominational church that didn't believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I began dating a guy who attended a nondenominational church. I visited with him and noticed people being "slain in the Spirit" and speaking in tongues.. all sorts of things! I began to read books on the Holy Spirit. I wanted to find out all I could. Then, my boyfriend's church had a revival. I went to this revival seeking after more of God! I was sitting at my chair one night and was praying for exactly that. I felt led to go to the front and pray with the pastor. I went up and he embraced me. He didn't even have time to pray with me.. before the power of God hit me! It was an experience I will never forget! That night, I learned that one doesn't have to be any certain denomination to receive the Holy Spirit baptism!

btw.. I'm Brit from Mississippi.

Upvote 0

HephzibahBenJudah

Daughter of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
Florida
✟128,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was a young girl in a Southern Missionary Baptist church. Got saved and on fire for God and witnessed every chance I got.
I didn't date or do much other than go to school and church. I read the Bible alot and had a hunger for God. I got stuck in the book of Acts chapter 2 and it said to tarry. Well I thought that meant wait and I prayed and waited.
One day on my knees in my bedroom Iwas praying for more of God and for the lost and for unsaved relatives the best way I knew how. When the room "felt" as if there was a cloud of electricity descending on me. I began to shake and couldn't control it and was becoming a little fearful. Then out of my mouth I heard Hebrew and I was beside myself. I could hear my voice but it wasn't my words and it took a few minutes before I could stop...when I could stop I said" No Lord I'm afraid and forgive me because I don't know what I just said.
I told my mom and she said I don't know what it was and just don't do it again. well I wasn't doing it or starting it to begin with...so I asked my pastor of this Southern Baptist church and he said that it wasn't for today it was for in the beginning of the church and that it wasn't something I should seek after and I was treated by him and my mom "I felt" as some sorta wierdo...and I even heard my mom tell my sisters to stay away from me because she's on drugs...

Oh boy! Later in life I grew to realize the thing I was told to quench was in fact the comforter and the thing I didn't need to quench was Him.

It took years of rebellious living, alot of religious theologies, taking it's toll on me until I had had enough. I said God I wish I'd never rebelled or went my own way or ever listened to those over me because I found you and I shoulda hung out with you no matter what way back then...maybe I wouldn't have had to go down so many roads of hard knocks.
But I'm back thanks for waiting on me and where do we go from here?

Upvote 0

steven07

Veteran
Supporter
Jan 25, 2007
Paraguay
Visit site
✟25,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, since I was baptized in/of/by/with the Holy Spirit (as well receive the rest of God’s whole package) the day I was saved, the story of my conversion is the story of my baptism by the Spirit into body of Christ.
For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. (1 Cor. 12.13)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, (Eph. 1.3)

As His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, (2 Peter 1.3)
~Jim

“Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. “
~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

Jim,
are you saying that everything that Christ had and God has to offer he gave to us as soon as we were saved? You don't believe there are different levels of blessing?

I don't mean this as a debate.. I'm just really wondering what you think.. sorry if it sounds that way..

Also, even Jesus was baptized by the Spirit (by man and Spirit) and the apostles and those the apostles spoke to.. THIS is what I really want to know.. If Jesus had both baptisms why not we? If those the Apostles spoke to needed water and fire.. why not we?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.