Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious what other people are doing.

I made some drastic changes to my diet and exercise back in November of 2018 when I discovered I had VERY high blood pressure. I was about 70 pounds overweight, lethargic, my depression was in a particularly low point. I'd reached a 'plain of lethal flatness' about life in general, so I had a decision to make - change my lifestyle in some significant ways, or slowly die of neglect.

While I was waiting for my doctor's appointment, I did some research online to try and get my head around the idea of making these changes to my diet and activity. After the doctor's appointment and his 'okay' telling me I was healthy enough to begin an exercise regimen, I began going to the gym 3 times a week. I wanted to start slowly, not only because I was so horribly out of shape and felt like I was dying each time I was in the gym, but because something I read online stuck with me and kept coming to mind:

"80% of your progress is done in the kitchen, not the gym"

My diet was my main focus. I had to change the things I ate, change when I ate, and change how much I ate. This was NOT easy for me. I've always had a strange relationship with food, so I was having to retrain myself about food. One thing I didn't want to do was to adopt some sort of 'named' diet that restricted me so significantly that I'd begin to resent eating. It took a couple of months to work out the kinks, but eventually I found a way to make the changes I needed to in the variety of foods that I eat so I felt like I was still able to eat 'good food' while also providing myself nutrition that I needed.

Trips to the gym eventually became more frequent, going from 3 times a week to 5 days a week. I went from pulse-pounding, profuse sweating after 15 minutes on the treadmill to a minimum of an hour every gym trip with little more than a healthy sweat and a heart rate right in the recommended range. Lifting weights got to be easier and easier as the months wore on. I began to feel stronger and was able to push myself harder and harder.

Sure, I made mistakes. In the beginning I cheated on my diet a little too frequently. In the beginning I pushed myself a bit too hard at the gym and ended up causing myself a couple of injuries that took WEEKS to heal from. I probably could have avoided these mistakes if I had someone to be accountable to, but since I'm the type of guy who likes to be alone and likes to do things alone, I only had me. No surprise I made some errors.

Since I began, I've lost almost 60 pounds of fat, and gained a bit over 10 pounds of lean muscle. I feel vastly different today than I did almost a year ago. My body feels healthier. Getting physically healthier didn't do a bit for my depression, even though exercise is touted as being great at relieving depression. All in all though, these changes have been positive to my life.

What about the rest of you? What do you do? Anything you'd care to share?

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After getting a stent for 99% blockage in my right coronary artery and being diagnosis with Pre-Diabetes I now am pretty much vegan, lift weights every other day and do 30 minutes of treadmill when not lifting.

I feel great.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious what other people are doing.

I made some drastic changes to my diet and exercise back in November of 2018 when I discovered I had VERY high blood pressure. I was about 70 pounds overweight, lethargic, my depression was in a particularly low point. I'd reached a 'plain of lethal flatness' about life in general, so I had a decision to make - change my lifestyle in some significant ways, or slowly die of neglect.

While I was waiting for my doctor's appointment, I did some research online to try and get my head around the idea of making these changes to my diet and activity. After the doctor's appointment and his 'okay' telling me I was healthy enough to begin an exercise regimen, I began going to the gym 3 times a week. I wanted to start slowly, not only because I was so horribly out of shape and felt like I was dying each time I was in the gym, but because something I read online stuck with me and kept coming to mind:

"80% of your progress is done in the kitchen, not the gym"

My diet was my main focus. I had to change the things I ate, change when I ate, and change how much I ate. This was NOT easy for me. I've always had a strange relationship with food, so I was having to retrain myself about food. One thing I didn't want to do was to adopt some sort of 'named' diet that restricted me so significantly that I'd begin to resent eating. It took a couple of months to work out the kinks, but eventually I found a way to make the changes I needed to in the variety of foods that I eat so I felt like I was still able to eat 'good food' while also providing myself nutrition that I needed.

Trips to the gym eventually became more frequent, going from 3 times a week to 5 days a week. I went from pulse-pounding, profuse sweating after 15 minutes on the treadmill to a minimum of an hour every gym trip with little more than a healthy sweat and a heart rate right in the recommended range. Lifting weights got to be easier and easier as the months wore on. I began to feel stronger and was able to push myself harder and harder.

Sure, I made mistakes. In the beginning I cheated on my diet a little too frequently. In the beginning I pushed myself a bit too hard at the gym and ended up causing myself a couple of injuries that took WEEKS to heal from. I probably could have avoided these mistakes if I had someone to be accountable to, but since I'm the type of guy who likes to be alone and likes to do things alone, I only had me. No surprise I made some errors.

Since I began, I've lost almost 60 pounds of fat, and gained a bit over 10 pounds of lean muscle. I feel vastly different today than I did almost a year ago. My body feels healthier. Getting physically healthier didn't do a bit for my depression, even though exercise is touted as being great at relieving depression. All in all though, these changes have been positive to my life.

What about the rest of you? What do you do? Anything you'd care to share?
Sounds good. You've made very good progress! I agree food intake is the main issue with most people.

Food has been a struggle for me when compared to sticking to exercise. I redeveloped a minor case of plantar fasciitis in my foot which is now gone. So, the exercise also had to be restarted. I grew up on the naturally "lean" side, I have always had a muscular body for some reason. Now I'm overweight although I still have muscle - which I'm hoping will help with weight loss.

I'm actually struggling to be consistent with my food but I regularly do dumbbell thrusters for 50 reps with 15kg each dumbell (30kg). The idea is you do as few sets as possible. So my last go was 15, 12, 10, 10, 3 up to 50 with three minutes rest between. Last time I could do 25 in row so once I get back to that level I'll reduce the rest time. (Sorry if too much info).

My uncle is a personal trainer and reccomended this to me to get started. I do bodyweight stuff also like press/push ups.

I'm also set to start running again consistently of a morning. I'm going to use the c25k app. I just got some decent running shoes in the hopes I won't develop plantar fasciitis. Thankfully, I had some medical checks including blood pressure, ecg and a blood test and everything is fine.

Thanks for your post! It actually helped me a lot just hearing how it wasn't a easy fix for you also. I hope I can match your effort lol.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I usually stick with the same diet everyday (or most days), consisting of 1 to 2 meals.

It's usually:
4-5 scrambled eggs with half a diced onion, 1 diced whole jalapeno, and 1oz diced ham, 1 cup spinach

It's simple to follow, no complex grocery list, and takes less than 10mins to make.

Saturday's are usually 12 wings or couple of slices of whole foods pizza or sushi.

The food supply is very polluted. Grains are full of glyphosate and atrazine residues, the water is full of meds, fluoride, and heavy metals.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Anything you'd care to share?
Look into the "happy pill" (no! not a drug).... :) It makes a BIG difference in six weeks to twelve weeks, THAT OTHER PEOPLE NOTICE, (before you notice it) :) - they will ask you why are you so happy ? (if they knew you before) .....

Don't want to post it publicly, because a lot that works so good has been banned after being publicized, even though completely non-toxic, inexpensive, and effective.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the replies! What are some of the most drastic changes you all made to your diets?

For me, I discovered that a LOT of my gastrointestinal upset was caused by certain meats. Now I avoid pork altogether and rarely eat beef. I'm all over fish and chicken though...if I have some sort of animal protein, it's from either of these two sources. I also became very aware of my sodium intake (because of the bloating and water retention), and I have to keep a close eye on my calcium and potassium intake because of the HBP med I am on (if my levels of Ca or K get too high, I can start having arrhythmia because the electrical signals to my hear get wonky). I'm also eating a LOT of fresh, steamed, or baked veggies and they take up the most room on my plate. Finally, I try to restrict my carbohydrate intake for my evening meal so they don't just sit in my system and get turned into fat while I sleep. I have no issue eating carbs for lunch because I'm active enough to burn them during the day.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the replies! What are some of the most drastic changes you all made to your diets?

For me, I discovered that a LOT of my gastrointestinal upset was caused by certain meats. Now I avoid pork altogether and rarely eat beef. I'm all over fish and chicken though...if I have some sort of animal protein, it's from either of these two sources. I also became very aware of my sodium intake (because of the bloating and water retention), and I have to keep a close eye on my calcium and potassium intake because of the HBP med I am on (if my levels of Ca or K get too high, I can start having arrhythmia because the electrical signals to my hear get wonky). I'm also eating a LOT of fresh, steamed, or baked veggies and they take up the most room on my plate. Finally, I try to restrict my carbohydrate intake for my evening meal so they don't just sit in my system and get turned into fat while I sleep. I have no issue eating carbs for lunch because I'm active enough to burn them during the day.
If it's not rude to ask what's the difference in calories you consume now, compared to before? Biggest changes I have made - although this was over a year ago - is I don't drink alcohol at all. For me this is a relgious AND health thing. I also stopped smoking a few years ago. I just need to do the same with food.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
As for sodium, take no table salt. Wise use of real sea salt or himilayan salt is helpful some times. Get tested by a nutritionist trained practioner who knows how to test for toxins and minerals and nutrients, etc (not ama protocol), and never drink tap water unless you get it tested and verified 'okay' at least (tap water is one of the biggest causes of what you are taking a drug for) ....... distilled water has been the goto best for two hundred years or so. It helps a lot to get the toxins flushed out of the body (including the kidnesy/adrnals) which thus lowers the high numbers..... Some people even got better just increasing their water from 2 glasses to 6 or 8 glasses distilled water per day ...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If it's not rude to ask what's the difference in calories you consume now, compared to before? Biggest changes I have made - although this was over a year ago - is I don't drink alcohol at all. For me this is a relgious AND health thing. I also stopped smoking a few years ago. I just need to do the same with food.
on a tangent (health related), I found that for an active person counting calroies is a waste of time. also it is possible to ignor chlstrol - that was a bogus brought from russia around 1940-1950 for 'money' that has continued since then growing greatly (in profits)...
good , btw, to always avoid etoh :) ..... it rarely has a good effect on families....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First off, congrats on losing that much and becoming physically fit and healthy! That is no small feat and every little change counts no matter how small and insignificant it may seem.

What I've found that has personally helped me to lose weight time and time again, without fail, is to count my macros (carbs, protein, fats) found on the nutrition labels of food/produce.

For me, I had to visit macrosinc.net to calculate my macros and how much of each that I should aim to eat each day. I try to combine counting macros with a paleo- eating lifestyle in which it consists of whole foods rather than processed junk, sugar, and even gluten. It has helped me lose weight and keep it off, provided I continue with this lifestyle. I also incorporate walking on an incline using a treadmill. I don't run or jog, just walk on it. The incline helps me burn a ton and I dont feel like I'm "dying and out of breath". Sometimes I incorporate lifting weights and doing body weight exercises like squats.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I don't have a really accurate picture of the daily calorie intake I had before I started, but I was steadily gaining weight over a period of a few years, so it was definitely higher than what I was burning off.

I plugged my numbers (age, height, weight, gender, activity level, etc.) into a few different calculators I found online and got a statistical average of my BMR (base metabolic rate) to figure out how many calories I could consume in a day and simply maintain my current weight. Then I picked an easy deficit to reach (250 calories per day) and that's where I started with the diet. Right now, I hover somewhere in the 1600-1800 calories per day range for intake, and it's giving me a little less than half a pound per week loss of weight.

I also gave up drinking on this diet. "Put down the drink and watch your belly shrink" is what I heard, and it's definitely accurate in my case.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't have a really accurate picture of the daily calorie intake I had before I started, but I was steadily gaining weight over a period of a few years, so it was definitely higher than what I was burning off.

I plugged my numbers (age, height, weight, gender, activity level, etc.) into a few different calculators I found online and got a statistical average of my BMR (base metabolic rate) to figure out how many calories I could consume in a day and simply maintain my current weight. Then I picked an easy deficit to reach (250 calories per day) and that's where I started with the diet. Right now, I hover somewhere in the 1600-1800 calories per day range for intake, and it's giving me a little less than half a pound per week loss of weight.

I also gave up drinking on this diet. "Put down the drink and watch your belly shrink" is what I heard, and it's definitely accurate in my case.
Ok cool. I get what you mean with not knowing the before. When actually sticking to it I eat around 1800 calories also. I don't know if it's too big of a reduction because I tend to last a week and then will overeat again.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Ok cool. I get what you mean with not knowing the before. When actually sticking to it I eat around 1800 calories also. I don't know if it's too big of a reduction because I tend to last a week and then will overeat again.

If I am a 'good boy' during the week and eat like I am supposed to, I'll allow myself a single 'cheat meal' on the weekend. I adore breakfast, so I'll take myself out to the local restaurant I like here in town and I'll enjoy a big breakfast of country-fried steak and eggs with hashbrowns. If I do that though, I eat a salad for my supper. Even if I'm going to 'cheat', I still try to remain disciplined and not completely blow my calorie intake out of the water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Congratulations on your weight loss!

I have a whole foods diet based on seasonal availability. I eat organic fruits and vegetables at their peak and organic grass-fed meat and sustainably caught fish.

Taste is my focus. I procure items producer direct whenever possible. Otherwise, I visit the butcher for meat, fishmonger, cheesemonger and so on. They are more knowledgeable of the products than your standard grocer.

We don’t consume refined (sugars, flour, yeast, etc.) or processed foods. I don’t drink soda. I make my own with homemade syrups and San Pellegrino. I have water delivered to ensure I’m getting enough and limit my caffeine intake to one cup of homemade cold brew.

I bake my own bread and pastries or purchase them from a local bakery that uses wild yeast instead of the other. After a while I started canning and created my own organic pantry. I don’t use preservatives and the food tastes better and is less caloric.

Some of the changes were given to me in my quiet time. Our eating habits are decidedly French. I have a small cup of coffee after drinking a glass of water in the morning. My largest meal is lunch and dinner is lighter.

I’ve found quality to be the hidden aid in weight maintenance. I worked in a high end wine shop in the past and observed my behavior and the others. We were surrounded by delectable food that we could enjoy without cost. But we never gorged. Our palates were sated sooner.

My little pleasures include organic grass-milk with cream on top, Valrhona chocolate, and Normandy butter. I don’t count calories or fat. I use sea salt and copious fresh and dried herbs and spices and flavorful oils. I purchase my spices from a spice merchant and find interesting oils in specialty stores.

By investing in the quality of the ingredients I eat far less. I practice portion control and make sure my consumption and lifestyle complement. I enjoy cycling, have a subscription to Daily Burn and a gym on the premises.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Today was my first day back in the gym after a three month hiatus. Injury, vacation, then selling one house and moving to a new town for a new job all got priority over going to the gym.

I'm back on it though. For all my many character flaws, lacking discipline isn't among them. I'll pick right back up with lifting weights and keep making progress.

On a different point...I'm not sure what I'm hoping to accomplish with my time in the gym. Keeping my BP in an acceptable range, sure, but I cant see what else to accomplish. I think my goals differ drastically from most men who lift weights.

• Friendly
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree for most, what and how much you put in your mouth is the driving factor. There can be exceptions to this though, with people who are eating fairly well, but are sedentary.

I was in excellent shape for most of my life as a former athlete and avid runner, but i went through several years recently of falling off the horse and balloning to 253 pounds. Exercise has never been the issue for me, but what i eat and how much i eat and i went through a period of eating everything that wasnt tied down and in excess of 4,000 calories a day.

Starting in july 2018, i said enough of this garbage. I started to eat healthier and watched portions, but did not go on any specific diet. 6 months later, i had lost 40+ pounds and body fat is down to 12%. I still eat on average 3,000 calories a day, but i workout 6 to 7 days a week, with both high intensity cardio and weight lifting and burn a ton of calories. I tried keto for a couple weeks months ago and i could not sustain my workouts, as i literally ran out of gas. I need quality carbs to keep up with the physical demands of the workouts.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those of us in the running community had a saying "you can't outrun poor nutrition". My weight as a whole tends to vary by about 7 pounds depending on if I'm trying to get into race shape or just be healthy

So, I run 3-5 times a week for about 9 - 30 miles per week depending on time of year and if I'm training for a race. I try to lift heavy 3 times a week, but that has been difficult due to a shoulder problem (not related to lifting, but has interfered).

Eating wise I do track food and calories. I hang around 1600 base when working to lose weight and adjust up daily based on how heavy my workout was that day. When I'm in a maintain weight period I'm around 2000. In my recovery season I stop focusing as much. Regardless, I tend to keep portion sizes reasonable and have a pretty good idea what they should look like.

Upvote 0