Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
BBC News - Your country needs you, says David Cameron

David Cameron has said "your country needs you" as he urged Britons to "pull together" in the national interest.
Seeking to outline a brighter vision amid the row over child benefit and spending cuts, he called for people to "step up" and play their part.
The cuts would be tough, he said during his closing speech to the Conservative conference, but he insisted there was "no other responsible way".
And in a few years "the rewards will be felt by everyone in our country".
Mr Cameron began by thanking voters for giving the party a chance after 13 years "in the wilderness".
"We will work flat out to prove worthy of that chance," he said.

More nonsense in the form of the 'Big Society'- what on Earth that actually means is anyone's guess. I know the Tories have no choice but to make huge cuts, but I wouldn't trust them with a pound coin, let alone the fifth largest economy in the world. And Cameron's speech was mostly nonsense. He didn't really say anything.

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
His speech made perfect sense. It was a subtle attempt to shift blame when everyone decides that the cuts are too far or the Tories do something else everyone hates. Cameron can then turn around and try to bring up the idea of patriotism ("your country needs you") and the fact that he said it would be difficult to essentially be in a position where he can blame people for arguing.

It's a 'we're doing something you really won't like so shut up and sit down' speech.

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I need to go back and listen to it but there is something about Camerons voice that makes me go and beat my head against a wall several times.

I understand that cuts have to be made but the way he is demonising the poorest in society is just not on. They're sort of rehashing a modern variant of the infamous welfare queen of the Thatcher/Reagan era, this time its a job-shy person who rejects council housing to live at the tax payers expensive in mansions worth a couple of million.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

I am glad this thread was started. As a commentator on the radio mentioned this morning, this seems to have been built, for whatever motive, on what the church is doing so widely, but which politicans seem so reluctant and seemingly emabarrased to acknowldge. Certainly the atheist, secular and humanist wordlview seems offended at the idea churches are doing signifcant volutntary community work when they dont have exactly atheist, secular and humanist worldviews.
The church is moving and demonstrating the love of God in practical terms, its witnessing, the reaction of society is not the responsibility of the church.
However Cameron and the tories may yet be even more open to support the churches in their voluntary community work, maybe even we could lead the way.

Upvote 0

Greenling

Aug 22, 2010
UK
Visit site
✟15,217.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
The vast majority of the land in Britain is owned and controlled by a very small handful of people. Not a word from Cameron addressing this issue. But with some of these biggest landowners being suppliers of funds to his party, I guess his insistence on seeking "a fairer Britain" doesn't extend that far!

"Your country needs you" is not such a great call when that country belongs to Cameron's richest mates, not to the rest of us.

Upvote 0