Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
although Darwinism does destroy Christian faith absolutely, except for some who carry on and pretend that it doesn't.

Ha! And you if bothered to articulate just exactly how it destroys the Christian faith then we would see just how erroneous you claim is. Why is why you don't bother to articulate it

Upvote 0

Danny777

Jan 7, 2013
✟8,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I went to the Anglican Evangelical service last week. It was a 40 minute sermon on a fictional character from the Jewish religion - Joshua, who if really existed, (and he didn't) was the worst example of school-yard bully, zero compassion and all-round cad.
I thought "I can't believe it.. more junk from stuff that I don't believe is true".. they must be doing it deliberately to drive away normal people, who have not yet got around to having the full frontal lobotomy.
"Perhaps I'll stick with it and try to ignore the sermons" - "nah - enough already! I've had enough of it - they need to do some basic study and pull themselves into this century. My findings on Dionysus go even deeper, so that I wouldn't mention it here.
So what to do?
Well, there is another Anglican Church, which on the internet description says 'broadly Evangelical' and shared services with the Methodists - perhaps the Methodists will influence out any of that Roman religion which I can't stomach - without the church going all Protestant with their long sermons, obsession with money, and dead services - the dry shell from a revival back in the 18th century, and yet another splinter group away from the Church of England.
Just to rub it in, the Evangelical-Anglican church last did a sermon on David, dancing and bringing the supposed ark of the covenant into Jerusalem, and about some woman who didn't approve - what's that got to do with anything? Who cares?
And then before that - the book of revelation -
So, I am moving. But there are things which I cannot put up with - Judaism, passed off as Christianity - Judaism Lite - without the Torah and stoning and all that (why not stoning or the law? Anybody?) And the book of Revelation. And lectures on why we must tithe -
I was reading up on why Christianity is on the decline in the USA - across the board - conservative, liberal, catholic, progressive - I think it is a mix of things - education, affluence, removal of state religion and societal pressure to conform - its not just Darwinism, and the conservative reaction against Darwinism - although Darwinism does destroy Christian faith absolutely, except for some who carry on and pretend that it doesn't.

All you've done (again) is describe churches that don't tick your box - which ones do?!

Upvote 0

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican
All you've done (again) is describe churches that don't tick your box - which ones do?!

Doing a word count on the post in question may enlighten:

"God"; 0 occurences.
"Spirit"; 0 occurences.
"Jesus "; 0 occurences.
"Sin"; 0 occurences.
"Gospel"; 0 occurences.
"Mission"; 0 occurences.
"I "; 10 occurrences.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Saint Augustine

Reactions: theFijian
Upvote 0
O

OopsyDaisy

OK, a straight answer - none. There is no church which ticks my box - due to the developments in Christianity going back to te start. I have decided to stick with the 'Evangelical' Anglican church in our town - just go to some evening services - they are mainly run by a woman curate, who seems a bit more liberal in her theology.
If you go with deism or 'progressive, church - you dump everything, and that's no good for me - I accept the Nicene Creed, except that 'the Father' is Elohim, and not Yahweh, although I wouldn't exclude all writings just because they refer to God as Yahweh - much like Allah is the name of God in Arabic -
Its been a tough learning curve for me - which has led me to form my own canon and creed. I think that Nicene Christianity has been preserved through the ages - and not the Bible, as perfect and infallible, as many think - there never was that thinking on the Bible, from the start - there was always typological and allegorical approach to the old testament.
The person who said 'Ha' about Darwinism - the reason I don't go into all that, is because I don't want to spend time on forums explaining why I have reached conclusions about Darwinism - I have read the books, assessed the evidence, and that's it.
I think the Anglican Church is reasonable - people disagree about everything, and they try and keep all the squabblers within a fellowship - instead of breakaway sects like the Methodists - IMO a needless splinter group, now in decline also in my district.
I don't think its enough to pray and think that you are being guided by the Holy Spirit about the old and new testament - I think you need to read books on history, archaeology, the Bible and Christian history from authors who are impartial - if you read stuff by Christian authors, all you'll get is what they believe - I think we need to be challenged on what we 'know', believe, understand - including Darwinism, the Bible and many other things.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The person who said 'Ha' about Darwinism - the reason I don't go into all that, is because I don't want to spend time on forums explaining why I have reached conclusions about Darwinism - I have read the books, assessed the evidence, and that's it.

"that's it"? You sound like a fundamentalist. But whatever, Darwinism/Bible, science/faith, properly understood, there is no conflict

Upvote 0

AndrewZinc

Oct 1, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
✟15,526.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Its been a tough learning curve for me - which has led me to form my own canon and creed.

I find that an incredibly disturbing statement.

If you accept that there is a God, and that he is loving, why would he make it so hard to find out the truth? If you are the only one who has discovered right belief, doesn't that make alarm bells ring?

The New Testament letters (no doubt you cast doubt on their validity too) highlight the importance of Christian unity (1 Corinthians 1.10) and fellowship (Hebrews 10.25). How can you possibly gain that in disagreement with the vast majority of Christians on issues such as the authority of Scripture?

Upvote 0