Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, actually, I didn't. Read again - more carefully - what I wrote. I asked questions and I made observations from Scripture, but I didn't make any direct, specific assertion or correction concerning your points.

Let's take a look:

"Did the Corinthians not have the testimony of other apostles who'd seen Christ and written about and taught his doctrines, too? The letters of the various apostles, via copies, made the rounds throughout the Early Church. Was Paul, then, truly the only source of Christ's teachings and example they had?"

So, I ask a question. Then, I point out a well-known fact about the transmission of apostolic teaching in the Early Church. And then, I ask another question. No assertions about the truth or falsity of your comments. No creation of a Strawman version of your comments, either. Just two questions and a statement of well-known fact.

"These same believers were, as Paul reminded them, temples of the Holy Spirit, who was their divine Teacher, imparting to them, not just the truths of the faith, but the very character of Christ (Romans 8:9-11) (what Paul described to the Galatians as the "Fruit of the Spirit" - Galatians 5:22-23). What need, then, of Paul as some sort of intermediary between the Corinthian believers and Christ? As I pointed out from the immediate context of Paul's words, he was referring to imitation of himself in a very specific regard, not generally."

Here, I make some observations about the work of the Holy Spirit, explaining that in the Spirit the Corinthian believers possessed something far greater and more essential to their lives as Christians than Paul. In another thread where we've gone at it, you've made a similar observation about the Holy Spirit yourself. So, where's the contortion of your viewpoint? I go on to ask a question. And, finally, I refer to things I'd already written in an earlier post. Where's the Strawman, exactly? Where do I form a cartoonish, weak version of your perspective and then knock it down?

I realize it would appeal to you to have a "Gotcha'!" moment about my remarks but you don't have one - despite your regularly trying to make it seem like you have.

I did not remark on your peace but on the character of our exchange.

So far, "fruitful" is not how I'd describe my back-and-forth with you.

Uh huh. Your merely saying so doesn't make it so.
Your questions are overtly rhetorical--anyone reading can see that--I'm surprised that you've endeavored to pretend that they are not. ...

I'm not interested in getting you on anything--your allegation is false, and serves to betray your own sentiments.

Goodbye.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Your questions are overtly rhetorical--anyone reading can see that--I'm surprised that you've endeavored to pretend that they are not. ...

I'm not interested in getting you on anything--your allegation is false, and serves to betray your own sentiments.

Goodbye.

Whew. Thank goodness. An end to the pointless contention.

Bye.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
An end to this contention, for none are pointless, as you will one day see.

No, the contention you've stirred up in this thread has been among the most pointless contentions I've seen in some time. But, I understand you must tell yourself otherwise. The contentious typically do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0