Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think that "getting the creation story right" is detrimental to our salvation. If it were so, Christ and his apostles would have affirmed such a dogma and made certain that those who sought salvation did the same. But as we know, the scriptures don't tell us to "believe in Christ and the creation story exactly as it's written and you shall be saved".

I actually think Darren Aronofsky nailed his illustration of how theistic evolution blends together the creation poem with science in his movie Noah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlGxbnqibQ

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Achilles,

Well, the issue will ultimately boil down to what the Scriptures mean when they say 'believe God'. Many 'christians' say, "Well, I believe in Jesus and that's enough!" Maybe they're right. However, the Scriptures speak to the fact that when we really 'believe in Jesus', that there will be some changes in how we think, what we believe and how we act. Jesus himself commented that believing in him would give us access to the Holy Spirit who would guide us into all truth. Now, it just seems logical to me that if all I need to do is believe in Jesus, then what is the 'all truth' that the Holy Spirit is going to bring to the table? In the account of God's dealing with Abraham we are told that Abraham's righteousness was credited to him because he believed God. Not that he believed 'in' God, but believed God. This leads me to the question that if God has fairly clearly explained the act of creation as taking 6 days; then fairly well delineated the time of the creation event through the generational record of Adam and his progeny, does believing God in that account have anything to do with an individual being righteous before God?

So, what are these truths that the Holy Spirit is going to reveal and what does it mean to believe God?

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

I have no idea why this post expanded the borders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Throughout the history of Biblical interpretation (and long long before Chuck Darwin) there have been those who take the opening chapter in a wooden literal sense (and I am not saying it is incorrect to do so) but there have been those who saw this as 6,000 years. And Rabbinics and others have shown how 1,000 (a day unto the Lord) is also a symbolic number meaning any uncountable number (the early Hebrews had no expression of concept of any number greater). So IMHO to believe a yom (especially "day one" through the third day) to be more then 24 literal hours is fine exegesis and the writer himself uses the term (in Genesis) in many ways. So being OEC or YEC matters not and neither equals Theistic Evolution.

Theistic Evolution says God started it all and then it evolved along the lines of a Darwinian paradigm....for example that day one (because it does not say "The first day") COULD BE/MIGHT be longer than 24 hours (as man measures time) is irrelevant to the purpose of the text...If God specifically defined "day one" as a million or billion not one person would have comprehended what was being said and His communication would have fell on deaf ears. The point was He did it all and He did it in stages and with process of development, with a purpose and plan in mind so OEC or YEC is irrelevant but TE is not in the text.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are your thoughts on young earth creation? Do you believe in it, is it necessary to believe in it, and is attempting to fit evolution into Genesis tampering with the word of God? Why or why not?

I think young earth creation (YEC) is not only unnecessary -- it's harmful to theology. I also think reading evolution into Genesis is shoehorning, but probably less harmful than YEC.

The creation account was not intended to teach history. It was intended to correct theological errors in the popular creation myths of the neighbors of the early Hebrew people.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
What are your thoughts on young earth creation? Do you believe in it,
no
is it necessary to believe in it,
We are saved by faith in Jesus Christ, not by faith in an 19th century theological dogma.

and is attempting to fit evolution into Genesis tampering with the word of God?
If someone rewrote Genesis to tell that kind of factual history and replaced the original with the modified version, I guess that would be tampering. But I'm not aware that anyone has done that.

In fact its close to that when YECs insist on manipulating the reading to make it answer their questions, stead of allowing it to answer its own questions.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Gah. I'm writing from my phone and the borders of the thread are so mega gigantic it is making composing a lengthier post challenging, so for now I'll just write that I'm in agreement with the statements by Wiltor, Ebia, and Darth Bagel that YEC is not only unnecessary but detrimental.

Darth, could you kindly edit your post and remove the s from the https in the link so the thread format will hopefully normalize? The video should still play properly, but in a smaller size with the http instead https. I really do like that scene, btw. Thank youuuuuuuuu. :)

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Gah. I'm writing from my phone and the borders of the thread are so mega gigantic it is making composing a lengthier post challenging, so for now I'll just write that I'm in agreement with the statements by Wiltor, Ebia, and Darth Bagel that YEC is not only unnecessary but detrimental.

Darth, could you kindly edit your post and remove the s from the https in the link so the thread format will hopefully normalize? The video should still play properly, but in a smaller size with the http instead https. I really do like that scene, btw. Thank youuuuuuuuu. :)

I tried it, but it didn't affect the margins. Sorry mate.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

WirSindBettler

Hoc Est Verum
Feb 7, 2015
USA
✟1,347.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WirSindBettler

Hoc Est Verum
Feb 7, 2015
USA
✟1,347.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think that "getting the creation story right" is detrimental to our salvation. If it were so, Christ and his apostles would have affirmed such a dogma and made certain that those who sought salvation did the same. But as we know, the scriptures don't tell us to "believe in Christ and the creation story exactly as it's written and you shall be saved".

I actually think Darren Aronofsky nailed his illustration of how theistic evolution blends together the creation poem with science in his movie Noah.

"For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me."
John 5:46

You also deny scripture by embracing theistic evolution, and by claiming there was pre-Adamic death.

"Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned."
Romans 5:12

"Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come."
Romans 5:14

"For if, because of one man’s trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ."
Romans 5:17

And why was this such a big threat if Adam's monkey parents died:
"And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me."
John 5:46

Interesting... so... you say the Tree of Life in the garden story is or is not, itself, Jesus?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WirSindBettler

Hoc Est Verum
Feb 7, 2015
USA
✟1,347.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, when Jesus says that Moses wrote of him...

He's referring to the countless prophecies, foreshadowings, and allusions to Him within the Pentateuch, of which there are a significant amount in the first eleven chapters of Genesis.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He's referring to the countless prophecies, foreshadowings, and allusions to Him within the Pentateuch, of which there are a significant amount in the first eleven chapters of Genesis.

But not the Tree of Life, just to be clear? There was a physical tree that give you Life if you eat from it, independent of whether you have faith in Christ?

Upvote 0