Feb 21, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Found out today my 5 year old needs glasses. Am feeling a little bit upset for her but trying not to let her see it. I wear glasses and I hate it, but cannot afford contacts at the moment. She is a really beautiful little girl and has just started school and the last thing she needs is to be teased for wearing glasses. There are no other kids in her class with them. My neice wears glasses and she has been teased alot at school and I don't want that for my daughter. How do I make this an easy transition for her and what do I do if children tease her about it.

BeanMak

Veteran
Feb 7, 2002
Suburb of Chicago
Visit site
✟2,472.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wore glasses since I was 6. I don't remember being teased. I would help her pick out a pair that SHE likes in a color that she likes. Then I would make a big deal of how stylish and nice she looks when they come. If there is a problem at school, I would bring it to the teacher's attention and be supportive of my daughter.

Upvote 0
M

megg

My son is nine and got his first pair of glasses yesterday.
I wouldn't be too concerned about teasing at her age. I got my first pair in 6th grade and did get teased, but when kids are younger they don't tease so much.
encourage her about not only how great they look, but the awesome benefits.
My son is actually really excited because he will be able to read better and see more.
I wish I had known at 5 what you are able to know. My son has struggled and I can see in hindsight that it was due to not being able to see properly.

Upvote 0

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She will still be pretty even with glasses.

Get a durable pair but don't spend too much money unless they have a good policy about bringing them back for repairs. Yes, she will probably go through 2-3 pairs the first year but that's to be expected.

Metel ones are actually more durable than plastic frames. They have more give, which is good but you may need to have them adjusted once every 3-4 months so she's looking through the center of the glasses.

I was teased maybe once or twice, the kids quickly got over it. At the end of the day, if the kids are going to tease they will find something anything even if she has contacts. All kids get teased even for really no good reason.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,775,630.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think little kids look cute in glasses:cool:. You are a big influence here in how she feels about wearing them, I'm sure you realize that. Yes, some kids are cruel, but don't assume all kids are like that. I wasn't teased when I got glasses at age 10.

Hopefully you can find an optometrist with good employees who can make your daughter feel special and stylish. My daughter got glasses in first grade and I was very pleased with how we here helped and how special they made her feel. She felt a little nervous at first about wearing glasses but soon found out that people had only good things to say about how she looked. Now she is almost 9 and I can see that it was easier on her to begin wearing glasses at age 6 than at a later age. Because now is when she is more concerned about fashion and what everyone else is wearing. In first grade she cared much less about looks and being different.

Upvote 0

icbeckyc

Mar 9, 2006
Texas
✟12,056.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of my brothers got glasses at the age of 3. Poor guy back in the day there were no choices for a kid that age, so it was the big thick horn rimmed glasses. The first day he got home barried them in the flower bed.

But she is 6 and has seen you wearing them and she will probably think it is cool to be like mom. Just play it up and tell her what a big girl she is and how pretty she is in the glasses. If she is stressed about it, you might say something to the teacher on the first day. Where we are there are several kids from Kindegarten on up with glasses. My daughter got hers at 7 or 8. She may have been teased once or twice for her glasses, and everyonce it a while some tacky kid will say something. But really the glasses thing is not a problem. Just be positive and upbeat.

Upvote 0

Heart4Him

I'll still love you, Lord.
Jan 11, 2006
✟31,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My daughter had to get glasses last year when she was nine. She didn't get them until about a month into the school year..but when school started last year there were 3 different kids in her class that had gotten glasses over the summer!
You can probably almost guarantee that there will be more kids that will have to get them as they get a little older.
I would just really try to make it exciting for her, and really involve her in choosing the frames and getting ones that suit her small face well.
My 5 yr. old niece has worn glasses since she was 4 and she got the ones that automatically darken to sunglasses when she goes outside..the other kids think they are cool!;) :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kiwi

Feb 21, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thanks all for your advice, want to know something really wierd? My husband was talking to his sister today and she told him one of our neices was at the eye doctor yesterday as well and she also needs to have glasses. So her cousin got told on the same day as her, funny aye.

Upvote 0