Young Adult Attendance Decreasing: Is A Comeback Possible?

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The church isn’t the primary social network for most; young or old. The majority of their close relationships are outside its walls.

In my experience Christian Fellowship is a powerful thing, I am surprised that you have seen this. Kind Regards :)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
In my experience Christian Fellowship is a powerful thing, I am surprised that you have seen this. Kind Regards :)

Most people don’t attend church with their closest or childhood friends. And more than a few weren’t raised in the faith. They’ve developed connections over the years. That doesn’t imply their relationships aren’t Christian or devoid of fellowship.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most people don’t attend church with their closest or childhood friends. And more than a few weren’t raised in the faith. They’ve developed connections over the years. That doesn’t imply their relationships aren’t Christian or devoid of fellowship.

Hello! You said that most people don’t attend church with their closest or childhood friends , I think that's where the issue might be arising. Believers don't attend the church, they are the church! Becoming a born again new creation in Christ is a life-changing event. God Bless :)

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello! You said that most people don’t attend church with their closest or childhood friends , I think that's where the issue might be arising. Believers don't attend the church, they are the church! Becoming a born again new creation in Christ is a life-changing event. God Bless :)

But that isn’t what the OP is addressing. He’s speaking about the setting. It’s another iteration of where are the fill-in-the-blank? Some go to church seeking friends, singles, marriage prospects, etc. They expect to find them.

God doesn’t need a building to bring me love, support, or companionship. My conception of fellowship isn’t based on brick and mortar.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But that isn’t what the OP is addressing. He’s speaking about the setting. It’s another iteration of where are the fill-in-the-blank? Some go to church seeking friends, singles, marriage prospects, etc. They expect to find them.

Hello! My point is that the priorities have been reversed. People should be seeking to go to church to honour God and sacrificially serve his people, denying themselves and their own desires, seeking instead to do God's will. This is what they should expect. This is what they should desire. Not to satisfy their own needs and desires but the needs of others, seeking the good of the very lowest person in the fellowship before their own. Dying to self, living for Christ.

Jesus said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23)

Doing something for those who can do nothing for you in return, who can give you nothing, the poor, the unloved, the lonely, the weird, the disabled, this is Christian service. It is better to give then to receive.

“When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” (Luke 14:12-14)

What you are describing is more like a social event at the local tennis club.

Maybe the church (in general) has not been as effective in getting the core gospel message out as it should have been, maybe many people in pews have not been exposed to the teachings of Jesus. It's a challenge. Some words are not popular in today's material and individual culture: sacrifice for example. The truth is counter-cultural, that is part of it's power.

God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello! My point is that the priorities have been reversed. People should be seeking to go to church to honour God and sacrificially serve his people, denying themselves and their own desires, seeking instead to do God's will.

There comes a point when you’ve talked a thing to death and need to move beyond it. There’s bigger fish to fry than what Christians should or shouldn’t be doing.

Your enemy is on the move. He isn’t wasting time on debates and age old questions. He’s serving his master. And if others were doing the same they’d recognize the hour and foolishness of things like this. It’s time to turn the page.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello! My point is that the priorities have been reversed. People should be seeking to go to church to honour God and sacrificially serve his people, denying themselves and their own desires, seeking instead to do God's will. This is what they should expect. This is what they should desire. Not to satisfy their own needs and desires but the needs of others, seeking the good of the very lowest person in the fellowship before their own. Dying to self, living for Christ.

Jesus said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23)

Doing something for those who can do nothing for you in return, who can give you nothing, the poor, the unloved, the lonely, the weird, the disabled, this is Christian service. It is better to give then to receive.

“When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” (Luke 14:12-14)

What you are describing is more like a social event at the local tennis club.

Maybe the church (in general) has not been as effective in getting the core gospel message out as it should have been, maybe many people in pews have not been exposed to the teachings of Jesus. It's a challenge. Some words are not popular in today's material and individual culture: sacrifice for example. The truth is counter-cultural, that is part of it's power.

God Bless :)
Yes! I typed up a longer response but you understand, good sir.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟95,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I fully believe a comeback is possible, but we who feel alienated by the church need to be willing to step in and help fix it. The church doesn't know what to do with young adults, especially single young adults. They either seem to be worried about coming across as a place to find potential dates or they treat singles as a self-help group that just wants to talk about how let down they are by life. In my mind the church IS where a single person desirous of marriage should be able to seek a potential spouse. A singles group SHOULD be a place where single people can find friendships and Christian community with others walking through some of the same things they are. These are conversations we need to be having with our church leaders. We need to be offering ourselves up to lead the groups that we feel the church is lacking. If you are thinking it or frustrated seeking it without finding, there's a good chance others are in the same boat!

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0