Young Adult Attendance Decreasing: Is A Comeback Possible?

tjrevelations

Mar 7, 2022
USA west
✟17,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the 2010's, it seemed like young adult church groups were thriving, relatively speaking. I'm in my early 30's now, and there used to be different age parameters where you'd be "eligible" for some groups but not for others: college based (up to 25), 20 somethings, 20 to 35 and also 20's and 30's groups.

Now, it just seems like finding a young adult church group anywhere is a major challenge. I suppose church attendance overall has seen major reductions in the past 2 years but it seems like young adult attendance has dropped off even more sharply for whatever reasons.

The vast majority of church attendees are older, and probably the majority of young adults attending are married.

I've been investigating small groups, especially young adult groups, but can't find very many. Very discouraging!

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the 2010's, it seemed like young adult church groups were thriving, relatively speaking. I'm in my early 30's now, and there used to be different age parameters where you'd be "eligible" for some groups but not for others: college based (up to 25), 20 somethings, 20 to 35 and also 20's and 30's groups.

Now, it just seems like finding a young adult church group anywhere is a major challenge. I suppose church attendance overall has seen major reductions in the past 2 years but it seems like young adult attendance has dropped off even more sharply for whatever reasons.

The vast majority of church attendees are older, and probably the majority of young adults attending are married.

I've been investigating small groups, especially young adult groups, but can't find very many. Very discouraging!
Well, actually it's only just in the last couple of weeks that our area has churches finally lifting mask mandates in the sanctuary, and some coming back we haven't seen for that entire 2 years! So, it's a little soon to conclude what is happened the last 2 years. Give that another couple of months.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,589.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, actually it's only just in the last couple of weeks that our area has churches finally lifting mask mandates in the sanctuary, and some coming back we haven't seen for that entire 2 years! So, it's a little soon to conclude what is happened the last 2 years. Give that another couple of months.

This PEW data predates Covid.
In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace | Pew Research Center (pewforum.org)

Unfortunately from a Christian point of view it shows that Christian affiliation (in the US) has seriously eroded. The bulk of this erosion relates to younger people however there seems to be a more general malaise among Christians at large with the growth of the religiously unaffiliated.

upload_2022-3-15_9-21-26.png

OB

Upvote 0

tjrevelations

Mar 7, 2022
USA west
✟17,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suspect the trends above accelerated in the past 2 years, and either leveled off or even recovered slightly very recently.

One area where I've seen tremendous growth is in online "participation" where some of the larger churches have seen a doubling or tripling of subscribers over the past 2 years.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,589.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I suspect the trends above accelerated in the past 2 years, and either leveled off or even recovered slightly very recently.

One area where I've seen tremendous growth is in online "participation" where some of the larger churches have seen a doubling or tripling of subscribers over the past 2 years.

Online participation is an interesting phenomena. I could find a range of arguments suggesting it will have a net positive effect along with another set of arguments suggesting the effect will be negative.

One of the problems lies in how you define "participation" in the broader sense.

OB

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting Q. I know of at least one charismatic church where only younger people attend. Some people see the church as more like a big family, where people of all ages, races and backgrounds meet to fellowship and prayer/ praise together. I have heard some not convinced by the need to split people up by age or background, others say it works well. Kind Regards :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That appears to be the main factor--social media and the internet generally.

People have exchanged actual gatherings for online chats, debates, special interest groups, and fellowship. Even dating.

It's affected churches but also clubs, community and civic organizations, fraternal organizations, charities, schools, and other such associations across the board.

• Agree
Upvote 0

tjrevelations

Mar 7, 2022
USA west
✟17,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't apply to this one, but many formerly very active and popular forums have declined very sharply in usage in the past 5 to 10 years.

Instead, you have platforms like twitter and instagram and alas, tik tok. Attention spans are getting shorter and shorter and even complete sentence or even phrases are being replaced by emoji's.

Tech companies push these trends relentlessly or just follow the curve sometimes but in every case they are destroying IRL communities everywhere.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

enoob57

Feb 16, 2022
Grove, Ok.
✟46,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Matthew 24:12 (KJV)
[12] And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

I was born in the leave it to beaver days... grew up in the 60-70... I watched as people kicked God out of the schools and now few love God's Word and live by it!

• Agree
Reactions: Deano715
Upvote 0

Deano715

Mar 5, 2012
Iowa
✟8,683.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matthew 24:12 (KJV)
[12] And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

I was born in the leave it to beaver days... grew up in the 60-70... I watched as people kicked God out of the schools and now few love God's Word and live by it!
Some denominations are lowering their standards and causing splits as well. Gay and tranvestite preachers are gaining ground. The Methodists are planning a split soon. I would imagine this all has an effect on attendance also.

• Agree
Reactions: enoob57
Upvote 0

enoob57

Feb 16, 2022
Grove, Ok.
✟46,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Some denominations are lowering their standards and causing splits as well. Gay and tranvestite preachers are gaining ground. The Methodists are planning a split soon. I would imagine this all has an effect on attendance also.
Yes these do not hold the fear of The Lord in their being... I never thought I would hear the president of the US say we are no longer a Christian nation BUT I did -Obama-

• Agree
Reactions: Deano715
Upvote 0

tjrevelations

Mar 7, 2022
USA west
✟17,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sadly, I don't think young adult or general attendance will rebound sharply, certainly not IRL. Of course, some people will return, but many will also stay away because they are afraid.

Even many of those who do attend remain as far away from people as possible, sitting in their cars "attending" church.

Upvote 0

Deano715

Mar 5, 2012
Iowa
✟8,683.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sadly, I don't think young adult or general attendance will rebound sharply, certainly not IRL. Of course, some people will return, but many will also stay away because they are afraid.

Even many of those who do attend remain as far away from people as possible, sitting in their cars "attending" church.
I havnt been to church since last Easter. Ive been a member there since 2009. They wear masks, social distance and even bring personal communion. I dont know how many show up but I doubt I will ever go back.

Reactions: tjrevelations
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That appears to be the main factor--social media and the internet generally.

People have exchanged actual gatherings for online chats, debates, special interest groups, and fellowship. Even dating.

It's affected churches but also clubs, community and civic organizations, fraternal organizations, charities, schools, and other such associations across the board.

I agree with your observation. But I don't think it should be that way in the church, for two reasons best summed up in these scriptures. Matthew 13:45-46, the Parable of the Pearl of Great Price, the Kingdom of God being like a man who sold everything he had to buy the pearl. Doesn't sound like lethargy. And Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up the habit of meeting together, as some are doing. Instead, let us encourage one another all the more, since you see that the Day of the Lord is coming nearer.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

tjrevelations

Mar 7, 2022
USA west
✟17,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting Q. I know of at least one charismatic church where only younger people attend. Some people see the church as more like a big family, where people of all ages, races and backgrounds meet to fellowship and prayer/ praise together. I have heard some not convinced by the need to split people up by age or background, others say it works well. Kind Regards :)

You used to see large numbers of young adult christians is in college towns with large universities. Now, even there numbers have dropped off sharply.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with your observation. But I don't think it should be that way in the church, for two reasons best summed up in these scriptures.
It shouldn't be. That's right.

However, we know that for most churches it does seem to have been happening.

I'm of the opinion that the same "internet culture" that I referred to in my earlier post has also taken its toll on church attendance and especially among younger people who don't have a lifetime of "going to church" experience behind them.

There isn't a perfect comparison to be made between online chat rooms and church attendance, of course, but the new mindset takes its toll by convincing youth (and some others) that the formerly impossible gathering of people online rather than in person is acceptable and/or "just as good."

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It shouldn't be. That's right.

However, we know that for most churches it does seem to have been happening.

I'm of the opinion that the same "internet culture" that I referred to in my earlier post has also taken its toll on church attendance and especially among younger people who don't have a lifetime of "going to church" experience behind them.

There isn't a perfect comparison to be made between online chat rooms and church attendance, of course, but the new mindset takes its toll by convincing youth (and some others) that the formerly impossible gathering of people online rather than in person is acceptable and/or "just as good."

Agreed. It could also be related to a change in attitude, away from a servant-hearted mentality (what can I do to sacrificially serve God's people in the church ), to a consumer mentality (channel hopping and tuning in to something online and tuning out when something seemingly better appears). As Jesus said 'whatever you did for the least of these you did for me!' God Bless :)

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I definitely noticed this. It took me a while to find a church where everyone in attendance didn’t have white hair, & that had a college & career Sunday School class for singles. I think it’s a BIG PROBLEM in the church, young people not attending. Most churches you won’t even find young married’s.

Reasons:

---Increase of technology

---People living busy lives & just want to enjoy time to themselves or people working weekends

---Churches not knowing how to integrate singles into church

---Families w/ kids not wanting to fight to get kids to go to church or deal w/ kids at church

---People leaving their home city & just not bothering to find a church

---Flat out leaving the faith

---Rebellion against organized religion - how do we know this church is right & not the one next door?

Upvote 0