Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've had several tell me they reject inerrancy even of the original manuscripts and several tell me they reject the concept of original sin. I also dialogued with one that admitted he has no authority to correct liberal christians like Bishop Spong for allegorizing the resurrection. He doesn't agree with him, but admits he has no basis to refute him.
This of course, points back to some key issues that keep coming up in one form or another regarding how we view and interpret the Scriptures.

TEs seem to love to talk about differing interpretations, and YECs (like me) tend to talk about plain reading and meanings.

When you take the common TE position to its conclusion, you end up with no way to trust anything you might learn from Scripture, because someone else might have a different interpretation, and how can you know that yours is the right one? The Scriptures were written and are read by people, resulting in an infinite variety of viewpoints -- all valid. Of course, that fits quite nicely in a society which runs violently away from anything resembling absolute truth that applies to all. Each of us must find our own truth within our examinations of Scripture. What utter nonsense!

For me, the Scriptures were written by people moved and empowered by an omnipotent God who used the people to write what He wanted written. As such, it is specifically designed to communicate with people throughout the ages, NOT just to the people of the day. Yes, it has the richness of diversity of the people being used, but the content is "God breathed" just as God wanted it to be. Such a God has all scientific knowledge, not just spiritual knowledge. Such a God works in history, not just in mythology. Such a God is able to reveal spiritual truths in and through real historical events, not just in stories. Such a God provides His Spirit to aid us in understanding what He has written - so that we are not left on our own poor private interpretation. He intends the Book to communicate, and He is able to make it communicate to all people throughout the ages. He is the Truth and the source of all truth - one and the same for all of us, throughout all time.

Reactions: vossler
Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't get why someone would worship a God of errant scriptures either, but will concede it is possible for someone to be confused about inerrancy and still place their trust in Christ to save them. Salvation is through Christ alone. I do see it as a problem though. While some can get saved despite this, it may shipwreck the faith of others.

I liked what you wrote, laptop. And let's be clear, all TEs don't reject inerrancy. However, it seems your comments many apply regardless. If anything goes in interpretation, then what good is inerrancy?

Thus my deep concern over eisegetical hermeneutics based on science. Forgive me, I see the devil in it. I really wish I didn’t.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, so much for staying out of the Creationist sub-forum to avoid violating the non-debate rule. But it's been a few weeks, I haven't been too active around here, and we have some new folks posting.

That said, a reminder to all that we always have your favorite flavour of ice cream in the Krazy Kafeteria!

:wave:

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I liked what you wrote, laptop. And let's be clear, all TEs don't reject inerrancy. However, it seems your comments many apply regardless. If anything goes in interpretation, then what good is inerrancy?
Thanks. I know that all TEs don't reject inerrancy -- but for many TEs - what's the difference between accepting and rejecting inerrancy if you believe Scriptural interpretation is a private matter, differing for different people?

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, so much for staying out of the Creationist sub-forum to avoid violating the non-debate rule. But it's been a few weeks, I haven't been too active around here, and we have some new folks posting.

That said, a reminder to all that we always have your favorite flavour of ice cream in the Krazy Kafeteria!

:wave:
Awww, you're always welcome around these parts -- especially with ice cream!:clap:

Upvote 0

Numenor

Veteran
Dec 26, 2004
The United Kingdom
Visit site
✟1,894.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
...if you believe Scriptural interpretation is a private matter, differing for different people?
Unless you're Roman Catholic, interpretation is a private matter isn't it (duly guided by the Spirit of course)?

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2Pe 1:20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is {a matter} of one's own interpretation, 2Pe 1:21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.(NASB)

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
When you take the common TE position to its conclusion, you end up with no way to trust anything you might learn from Scripture, because someone else might have a different interpretation, and how can you know that yours is the right one? The Scriptures were written and are read by people, resulting in an infinite variety of viewpoints -- all valid. Of course, that fits quite nicely in a society which runs violently away from anything resembling absolute truth that applies to all. Each of us must find our own truth within our examinations of Scripture. What utter nonsense!
Amen brother amen! :amen: I couldn't agree more!
For me, the Scriptures were written by people moved and empowered by an omnipotent God who used the people to write what He wanted written. As such, it is specifically designed to communicate with people throughout the ages, NOT just to the people of the day. Yes, it has the richness of diversity of the people being used, but the content is "God breathed" just as God wanted it to be. Such a God has all scientific knowledge, not just spiritual knowledge. Such a God works in history, not just in mythology. Such a God is able to reveal spiritual truths in and through real historical events, not just in stories. Such a God provides His Spirit to aid us in understanding what He has written - so that we are not left on our own poor private interpretation. He intends the Book to communicate, and He is able to make it communicate to all people throughout the ages. He is the Truth and the source of all truth - one and the same for all of us, throughout all time.
Can I just use you as my spokesperson? :hug:

If I could rep you 100 reps I'd do it! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.