You Must Give 10% of Your Gross Income to the Church?

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have you ever heard someone tell you that because Jesus gave His life for you, the least you can do is give Him 10% of your income?

I used to think that way when I was a member of a denomination caught up in legalism. When you look at the statement closely, a salvation by works theology is at its core. It's as though these people expect you to offer Jesus payment for the sacrifice He made. That's not the gospel, but a man-made tactic used to manipulate people into giving money to a church organization.

I have looked into the Scriptures to see what the Bible says about tithing. There is no biblical support for the belief that God requires believers to hand over 10% of their gross income to a church organization. It is a man-made doctrine.

Before you jump on me for saying that, watch the following video.

Next time someone says the least you can do is give Jesus 10% of your income, you can respond: Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (Jn. 14:15). And then ask him or her to show you where Jesus commanded believers to give 10% of their gross income to a church organization.

They will likely proceed to take several Bible verses out of context, but if you watched the video above, you will know how to respond to their legalistic teaching.

Should we support those who labor for God? Yes. But it is up to the individual how much he or she gives. It is not for us to weigh people down with false guilt by demanding they give an amount God doesn't require of them. "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NKJV)

If people are making such demands of you—accusing you of robbing God because you aren't abiding by their church rules on tithing, then I suggest looking elsewhere for a place of fellowship.
If you think you're getting in good because you give 10%, you're wrong. It's all God's-your time, your talent, your money, the grace God gave you to believe in Him. You owe him all of that, and it doesn't make you worthy to go to heaven if you did give away everything. But it's a good start. You have to love your neighbor as you love yourself...

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Reminds me of the joke about gold donated to the Church. The priests throw coins in the air and everything that stays up goes to God and everything that falls down belongs to the Church and clergy.
Yeah, I've heard Catholics tell that one about Baptists, too...

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was looking for the verse where Jesus or Paul said, "If what I'm telling you doesn't seem to work, do it any way you want," and I couldn't find it.

Maybe it gave people too much freedom to use their own brain and the dangerous word want can of course be misused by those that really want...One example, me. I made applejam without sugar at home from fruit that fell on the ground. Husband is angry because He wants sugar in it or otherwise it does not taste good, He thinks. I say there are loads of sugary jams for You so if I make some unsweetened for me You still have some from last year. Husband says You may never make applejam in our kitchen anymore because I had to clean the pan...and adds sugar in the jam. I say beg Your pardon but You had me serve all day yesterday so I slept longer this morning, I would have cleaned it the first thing in the morning, when I got up, but then You had already done it, besides I was folding clothes. I think the apples are so sweet in themselves, they need not taste like candy. No support in weightloss, thanks, - well then he said, make Your unsweetened jam elsewhere, not in our kitchen and keep it in Your own shelf in the freezer. So stubborn people have, make rules that suit themselves more than others and threathen to throw people out or move out themselves or forbid certain things, give minus points to everybody but themselves and keep a score of it and generally make life miserable because they see one thing that needs to be done and miss many other. If someone makes the other they are bad and gets a minus. So if I am a good wife I should let 150- 200 pounds of apples rot every year, pick nothing, let the birds eat everything, make no jams, pies, chutneys and bringnothing to the juicepresses. Might as well chop down the trees as He threathened. In fact He want to uproot most of the garden or chop down and should live a while in the barracks in order to learn to apprechiate the nature, but maybe He never will, Maybe He is automation, buttons and a computer the whole man and anything alive is bacteria and needs to be killed, it seems that way. Even flowers are a nuisance to Him. And the roses have thorns and some can get lice so ofcourse He can not enjoy the scent or colours or form of the thousands of roses in the garden. Every year same nag, He rarely wants to help with anything that include apples. Still when I do it all, He barely wants to pay any share of the juice but boy does He enjoy the juice, and the pie once it is done. I have not served him castor oil yet :), I will probably be a bad, bad wife and pick apples next year too, make pies, etc. there are still plenty for the birds. Occationnally I will even bring in the thorny lice with the roses into the house...

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One thing the church could do would be this...speaking of social responsibility.
1. Long Before christmas contact social offices nearby, ask if they have families that are financially needy and might want an extra christmaspresent also specify that presents like food, toys, clean clothes, linen furniture, tools that men keep in their garage and have too much of are things that can perhaps come in question. Ask them to write a wishlist with many things so at least something matches ex, clothesizes. Get addresses and names to the people,
2. When lists are given give each name a number to keep track of stuff. Write the lists and make them official to the church, without names of the of the one that asks.
3. Make a Christmasconsert and collect some money, also other things, If someone has something to give, try to coordinate it right so everybody get a package. Ask for volunteers to pack presents and drive to the families and deliver the presents before Christmas.
4. Remember if someone is sitting in church knitting a sock, in Your meeting, do not be so agitated. It might be donated to a poor child so she can have warm feet at least on Christmas eve and that winter.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aren't they already all equal before the Lord? Neither Jew or Gentile, neither rich nor poor, neither slave or free, neither male or female, etc?

Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need.

The goal is equality, as it is written: “The one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little.”
-- 2 Corinthians 8

Anyone arguing that Paul is not talking about money here is simply being disingenuous.

The Greek is very precise on the meaning of "equality, "as they used the word in mathematics.

Not only does Paul stress in repetition that "equality" is what he means, Paul then doubles down on his meaning of "equality" by referencing Exodus 16, in which God explicitly commands that each person receive a precisely equal measured portion.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I've heard Catholics tell that one about Baptists, too...

If You really take that joke literally money is the root of all evil so then You throw it up in the air well up is God and down is earth or what is even below earth, fire and brimstone. So money goes to the father of lies, because people manipulate their way with money, kill for money, steal for money and make people sin by using money as a bait. Money is a mere means, it can be used or abused as much other things in this world. It is worldly, but since we live in the world we use some money for certain things that we need. It is quite hard to live without money. Usually You have to pay tax for a house or vehicle at least... and own at least one mouthharp.

Upvote 0

alexatara

Jan 30, 2012
Utica, NY
✟15,202.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my church, tithing would be
Have you ever heard someone tell you that because Jesus gave His life for you, the least you can do is give Him 10% of your income?

I used to think that way when I was a member of a denomination caught up in legalism. When you look at the statement closely, a salvation by works theology is at its core. It's as though these people expect you to offer Jesus payment for the sacrifice He made. That's not the gospel, but a man-made tactic used to manipulate people into giving money to a church organization.

I have looked into the Scriptures to see what the Bible says about tithing. There is no biblical support for the belief that God requires believers to hand over 10% of their gross income to a church organization. It is a man-made doctrine.

Before you jump on me for saying that, watch the following video.

Next time someone says the least you can do is give Jesus 10% of your income, you can respond: Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (Jn. 14:15). And then ask him or her to show you where Jesus commanded believers to give 10% of their gross income to a church organization.

They will likely proceed to take several Bible verses out of context, but if you watched the video above, you will know how to respond to their legalistic teaching.

Should we support those who labor for God? Yes. But it is up to the individual how much he or she gives. It is not for us to weigh people down with false guilt by demanding they give an amount God doesn't require of them. "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NKJV)

If people are making such demands of you—accusing you of robbing God because you aren't abiding by their church rules on tithing, then I suggest looking elsewhere for a place of fellowship.

In my church, and this is from an Orthodox Christian viewpoint, tithing would be a very welcome thing, but never have we demanded it of people. So the result of that would be that the clergy are paid a salary of around $200/week. A lot less than the income that the average parishioner earns. The people who are able (and not neccesarily as much as 10%) SHOULD give more if their expectation is full time service. So the clergy have to take a secular job to support their families and they still serve the people with love and caring. But tithing, at least in my belief, should be given out of free will, not a requirement and the church shouldn't shame people for not tithing. Many can't afford it and we still love them all the same. We have alot of fundraisers to bring in money to support the church; currently the church hall is packed with items for the ongoing rummage sale we've been having! Now that it's autumn, we will be back to coffee hours after services so that stuff will have to be pushed to the side! I hope I didn't sound judgemental because that was not my intentention.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,212.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If You really take that joke literally money is the root of all evil

No, the love of money is the root of all evil.
Money can be a blessing if used correctly, and can do a lot of good.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, the love of money is the root of all evil.
Money can be a blessing if used correctly, and can do a lot of good.
Yes You are correct, I was sloppy with my words, beg Your pardon. The love of money is the root of all evil is correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
No body can give to GOD. The reason why you tithe is because GOD gave you that seed in the first place. HE gives you the 10% to tithe so you can increase your store houses. It is like the Apostles asking HIM, How do we pray? GOD then teaches them how to pray, listens to their prayer, and answers them. We can do nothing separate from GOD and when you tithe, you acknowledge that. You acknowledge that GOD gave you the money to tithe in the first place, except HE gives it to you, you wouldn't have it... And by doing what is required, we increase our own store houses from the money we were given to tithe with.

Now answer the question.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
in a previous thread on this topic, I asked where it says in the New Testament to tithe 10% of our income.

Someone posted an OT verse.

I pointed out I was asking for NT verse.

He posted another OT verse.

I said I wanted a NT verse.

So he posted another OT verse.

This went on for a while so, in the end, I said "so you can't post a verse from the NT?

He said the OT verses apply to those living under the New Covenant.

Am I dumb or stupid or what?

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have found nothing in NT that confirms 10% tithe. That's teaching from Old Covenant. NT teaching is generous giving.

That's why I consider the tithe is biblical teaching (from OT), but it is not Christian teaching.

Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If You really take that joke literally money is the root of all evil so then You throw it up in the air well up is God and down is earth or what is even below earth, fire and brimstone. So money goes to the father of lies, because people manipulate their way with money, kill for money, steal for money and make people sin by using money as a bait. Money is a mere means, it can be used or abused as much other things in this world. It is worldly, but since we live in the world we use some money for certain things that we need. It is quite hard to live without money. Usually You have to pay tax for a house or vehicle at least... and own at least one mouthharp.
A quick correction. Money is not the root of all evil. The root of all evil is the LOVE of money.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Maybe it gave people too much freedom to use their own brain and the dangerous word want can of course be misused by those that really want...One example, me. I made applejam without sugar at home from fruit that fell on the ground. Husband is angry because He wants sugar in it or otherwise it does not taste good, He thinks. I say there are loads of sugary jams for You so if I make some unsweetened for me You still have some from last year. Husband says You may never make applejam in our kitchen anymore because I had to clean the pan...and adds sugar in the jam. I say beg Your pardon but You had me serve all day yesterday so I slept longer this morning, I would have cleaned it the first thing in the morning, when I got up, but then You had already done it, besides I was folding clothes. I think the apples are so sweet in themselves, they need not taste like candy. No support in weightloss, thanks, - well then he said, make Your unsweetened jam elsewhere, not in our kitchen and keep it in Your own shelf in the freezer. So stubborn people have, make rules that suit themselves more than others and threathen to throw people out or move out themselves or forbid certain things, give minus points to everybody but themselves and keep a score of it and generally make life miserable because they see one thing that needs to be done and miss many other. If someone makes the other they are bad and gets a minus. So if I am a good wife I should let 150- 200 pounds of apples rot every year, pick nothing, let the birds eat everything, make no jams, pies, chutneys and bringnothing to the juicepresses. Might as well chop down the trees as He threathened. In fact He want to uproot most of the garden or chop down and should live a while in the barracks in order to learn to apprechiate the nature, but maybe He never will, Maybe He is automation, buttons and a computer the whole man and anything alive is bacteria and needs to be killed, it seems that way. Even flowers are a nuisance to Him. And the roses have thorns and some can get lice so ofcourse He can not enjoy the scent or colours or form of the thousands of roses in the garden. Every year same nag, He rarely wants to help with anything that include apples. Still when I do it all, He barely wants to pay any share of the juice but boy does He enjoy the juice, and the pie once it is done. I have not served him castor oil yet :), I will probably be a bad, bad wife and pick apples next year too, make pies, etc. there are still plenty for the birds. Occationnally I will even bring in the thorny lice with the roses into the house...
Try using paragraphs as it is easier to read if you do that.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Try using paragraphs as it is easier to read if you do that.

Yeah, You are right, I should be cooking sugary lollypops for my husband (with a surprice inside ) and cleaning and getting rid of stuff in the house and not writing things without paragraphs on the internet.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In my church, tithing would be

In my church, and this is from an Orthodox Christian viewpoint, tithing would be a very welcome thing, but never have we demanded it of people. So the result of that would be that the clergy are paid a salary of around $200/week. A lot less than the income that the average parishioner earns. The people who are able (and not neccesarily as much as 10%) SHOULD give more if their expectation is full time service. So the clergy have to take a secular job to support their families and they still serve the people with love and caring. But tithing, at least in my belief, should be given out of free will, not a requirement and the church shouldn't shame people for not tithing. Many can't afford it and we still love them all the same. We have alot of fundraisers to bring in money to support the church; currently the church hall is packed with items for the ongoing rummage sale we've been having! Now that it's autumn, we will be back to coffee hours after services so that stuff will have to be pushed to the side! I hope I didn't sound judgemental because that was not my intentention.

So then I suppose if a married unemployed person that can not find any steady work or studies fulltime from 9.00- 22.00 and does work between studies, but relies on unemploymentmoney or similar that is about 600 dollars a month in another country in another currency is not welcome in church, (since 450 dollars goes to pay the house and family food and heating, car etc. usually hospital, doctors, dentists or such take the rest since some other illness is demanding specialist care. Unfortunatedly people with certain diagnosises rarely find jobs and even some christians keep telling them that they are possessed. But You see medicine does keep one particular illness away although the diagnosis is there, so it is simply a matter of judgemental opinions and fear. If that person needs to pay 60 dollars to the church then God needs to heal that person and unfortunatedly that has not been the case when tithing was done, instead, bill on bill was piled up. So church was too expensive, might be too ashamed coming to church emptyhanded, besides the charade that go on in some churches might feel like a mockery to some people. They rather stay christians all week and not only on sundays, and some seem to have forgot half of the fabric on their dresses, all over the dress, at home when they get up to speak to the people. There are free online services with people that have a good message and a friendly approach...and if they have spare money they can donate it to whatever organisation they want or give a poor person something to eat. One can leave a few cents at the cheap stores and tell the girls, if someone buys food and have not money enough money, some cents are missing and looks poor, then take from this money. They usually agree.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yeah, You are right, I should be cooking sugary lollypops for my husband (with a surprice inside ) and cleaning and getting rid of stuff in the house and not writing things without paragraphs on the internet.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and unbecoming of someone who calls themselves a Christian.

Upvote 0