You Must Give 10% of Your Gross Income to the Church?

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That person in the earth, has the message for you to transfigure, which means you shall stretch to your original anatomy. Thus the person who is feeding you, eats your tight to enable you to stretch.

..for you to transfigure? what does that mean?

...stretch to your original anatomy? What does that mean?

...eats your tight? what does that mean?

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If they made it sound like a 'transactional' thing I can see your problem with it.

In the Old Testament, the Israelites were allowed to live in the land God gave them, with Him as their Lord. They were required to pay tithes of crops and herds, apparently three tithes with one of them being collected every three years for som eof the disadvantaged members of society. They also were required to give firstfruits offerings and certain other offerings. There were also sin offerings and offerings given of their own free will. One tithe went into the LEvitical priestly system. Another was eaten by those who 'paid' the tithe.' Another was given to the widow, fatherless, stranger, and Levites within the gates of the local city.

I can't find a command to give 10% to the local church. I suspect the earliest Christians paid tithes into the Levitical priestly system. Unless 'increase' refers to cash income, tithes in the Bible were agricultural (and 'animal-husbandrial') in nature. I am unaware of a command that merchants tithe gold or that widows who did not have land had to tithe of whatever they gleaned from a neighbor's field. Landowning farmers were to tithe.

Somehow, preachers who hold to 'literalist' interpretations of everything else, will allegoricalize this. Crops become cash. The priestly system becomes the church. Jerusalem becomes the church. Some of them will take a verse about Israel being cursed for not paying tithes into the LEvitical priestly system from the land of Israel, and turn that into Gentile Christians being under a curse for not giving the church 10% of cash income.

We should also keep in mind that there were other tithes. Abraham tithed the spoils of war. So did Israel at times. Jacob vowed to tithe to God. So tithing is a religious practice that goes way back and is not exclusively tithed to agriculture. I think of it as a good practice, a good discipline. But God also loves a cheerful giver.

So, do we have to give 10%? That's another issue. We are all to be good stewards of what God has entrusted to us. For someone who is affluent, 10Q% may be too low. One of the problem with tithe teaching is when preaches say you give God 10% and you get to keep the rest. Is that really the teaching of Jesus on giving? The early church applied Jesus' teachings by having all things in common.

How much you give depends on how much income you have. I don't agree with teaching poor widows to give 10%, the type of people who were not rquired to tithe but received tithes in Biblical times, and then the church not supporting them. I think tithe teaching can be very unjust in that sense, guilt tripping and squeezing for cash those whom we should be helping.

For those who are determined to legalize the OT tithing system for NT believers, they have to realise that in all, they tithed a total of 30% in the OT.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those who are determined to legalize the OT tithing system for NT believers, they have to realise that in all, they tithed a total of 30% in the OT.

22 and 1/3. One tithe was collected every three years. These were akin to income taxes for the theocracy.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Fine ideals but you will not find any of it in the New Testament. You cannot make a claim to any belief until you have FIRST discovered what the New Testament teaches. Then you move out from there and measure up what you believe about the subject. If there is a disparity, you change your beliefs. You don't make the word of God fit your beliefs.

In my two-year study of the New Testament church and the church today, today's church has all but ignored scripture and replaced it with denominational dictates.
The NT is not a replacement for the OT.

Christ did not replace the law......He fulfilled it.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fine ideals but you will not find any of it in the New Testament. You cannot make a claim to any belief until you have FIRST discovered what the New Testament teaches. Then you move out from there and measure up what you believe about the subject. If there is a disparity, you change your beliefs. You don't make the word of God fit your beliefs.

In my two-year study of the New Testament church and the church today, today's church has all but ignored scripture and replaced it with denominational dictates.
I don't want to go off topic, but we are to study both the OT and the NT, applying what is relevant to the church today (see 2 Tim. 3:16-17).

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
in a previous thread on this topic, I asked where it says in the New Testament to tithe 10% of our income.

Someone posted an OT verse.

I pointed out I was asking for NT verse.

He posted another OT verse.

I said I wanted a NT verse.

So he posted another OT verse.

This went on for a while so, in the end, I said "so you can't post a verse from the NT?

He said the OT verses apply to those living under the New Covenant.

Am I dumb or stupid or what?
Even if they post an OT verse, it can be shown that tithe pushing preachers of today are not following the rules given in the Bible concerning the Levitical tithe. In other words, they mostly take such verses out of context and read meaning into them that isn't there. We are not required to accept false teaching.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Even if they post an OT verse, it can be shown that tithe pushing preachers of today are not following the rules given in the Bible concerning the Levitical tithe. In other words, they mostly take such verses out of context and read meaning into them that isn't there. We are not required to accept false teaching.
Where your treasure is, so is your heart.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said that about himself and the Holy Spirit. The guy you write about, is neither.

It is a Prophet who hears from GOD and speaks only what he hears. The Most Holy Spirit is GOD. JESUS CHRIST Our Supreme LORD is GOD. Neither has to hear from HIMSELF to teach. Both are Co-existing and co-eternal.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a Prophet who hears from GOD and speaks only what he hears. The Most Holy Spirit is GOD. JESUS CHRIST Our Supreme LORD is GOD. Neither has to hear from HIMSELF to teach. Both are Co-existing and co-eternal.
This thread is about issues concerning tithing. Please stay on topic.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You should believe what the Bible teaches about Jesus and the Holy Spirit and let that shape your understanding of how Jesus and the Holy Spirit operate. The fact that you can't accept that shows that your understanding of it is flawed. Your flawed understanding is not justification for using a passage about the Holy Spirit and thinking it applies to a man.

Do you get these (possibly unforgivably blasphemous) interpretations from this man who claims to be a prophet?

Honestly, I haven't heard anything about the man that causes me to want to sit through his sermons. I saw a minute or so and found it quite draining to listen to him, partly because of his manner of speaking. There are thousands of other people to listen to. If what you say accurately represents his teaching, the only reason I can think to listen to him is to warn other people, not to be edified. But if his followers are the ones coming up with these interpretations, he should...not just correct... but soundly rebuke them.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although the Torah was given to Israel and not to Gentiles, the Ekklesia nevertheless studied it for insight and inspiration on how to live more Godly lives. Therefore the part of the Torah on Tzedakah (aka tithing and charity) was important.

God designed Israel to be the perfect society. In this society, everyone contributed to the poor, and to the upkeep of the Temple and religious leaders. One of the ways this was done was the 10% tithe/tax. This tithe was split between the poor and the Levites. IOW, God intended religious work to be full time. He did not intend the Levites and Kohanim to support themselves with other work. They were responsible for teaching, judging cases of law, daily sacrifices and upkeep of the Temple, and dispersing tithe money to the poor. That's pretty much a full time job, and it benefits all.

From reading this, the Church learned that clergy was essentially a full time position if done right. It benefited the entire Ekklesia, and therefore needed to be supported by all. 10% seems to be a good number -- it worked then and it works now. As then, it is split between supporting the church and the poor. As then, it is not the only responsibility an individual has towards the poor.

Ten percent was not a good number to Paul. He called for equality.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No body can give to GOD. The reason why you tithe is because GOD gave you that seed in the first place. HE gives you the 10% to tithe so you can increase your store houses. It is like the Apostles asking HIM, How do we pray? GOD then teaches them how to pray, listens to their prayer, and answers them. We can do nothing separate from GOD and when you tithe, you acknowledge that. You acknowledge that GOD gave you the money to tithe in the first place, except HE gives it to you, you wouldn't have it... And by doing what is required, we increase our own store houses from the money we were given to tithe with.

But you can make sure each member of the Body of Christ is fully cared for, and by taking care of the Body of Christ you have given to God.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

I've never seen a tithe-preacher yet who would not deny the hungry before getting his tithe, and they blaspheme by that's the Lord's will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you can make sure each member of the Body of Christ is fully cared for, and by taking care of the Body of Christ you have given to God.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

I've never seen a tithe-preacher yet who would not deny the hungry before getting his tithe, and they blaspheme by that's the Lord's will.

There are a lot of bi-vocational preachers, and pastors of small churches who just live really poor who preach tithing, so I suspect there are a lot of preachers who would give up their own claim to the tithe to feed others, even if I find their view on tithing to be a legalistic misapplication of scripture.

John Wesley taught tithing, but he lived on 28 to 30 pounds year after year, giving the rest away, even when his income went as high as 1400 pounds.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it was never money that is why he references eating the meat and drinking milk in verse 7. Actually as a student of the word you should know to do proper exegesis and hermanuetics in relation to that chapter with other chapters where Paul clearly tells us he did work and supported himself and he never coveted anyone's silver and gold ever, nor did he ask for it.

What else does he mention in verse 7?

Upvote 0

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should believe what the Bible teaches about Jesus and the Holy Spirit and let that shape your understanding of how Jesus and the Holy Spirit operate. The fact that you can't accept that shows that your understanding of it is flawed. Your flawed understanding is not justification for using a passage about the Holy Spirit and thinking it applies to a man.

Do you get these (possibly unforgivably blasphemous) interpretations from this man who claims to be a prophet?

Honestly, I haven't heard anything about the man that causes me to want to sit through his sermons. I saw a minute or so and found it quite draining to listen to him, partly because of his manner of speaking. There are thousands of other people to listen to. If what you say accurately represents his teaching, the only reason I can think to listen to him is to warn other people, not to be edified. But if his followers are the ones coming up with these interpretations, he should...not just correct... but soundly rebuke them.

you can listen to others, but i will listen that another voice". You actually think that GOD needs to tell HIMSELF things to teach others? Tell me, who is it that the Prophets heard from? Ad what is it that the Prophets spake? The problem is you all have the wrong mindset and it is leading you to one place, the grave. Except ye are eating the bread of life, you cannot defeat death.

Upvote 0

Newlyrestoredgospel777

Aug 9, 2017
Perth
✟21,403.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

the GOD is ALL giving. You cannot give to GOD.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you can listen to others, but i will listen that another voice". You actually think that GOD needs to tell HIMSELF things to teach others? Tell me, who is it that the Prophets heard from? Ad what is it that the Prophets spake? The problem is you all have the wrong mindset and it is leading you to one place, the grave. Except ye are eating the bread of life, you cannot defeat death.

Jesus is the Bread of Life, not some other preacher's personality cult. Not someone else who draws men away after himself.

John 14:26
"26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.'

Jesus talked about the Holy Ghost in this chapter. He is not calling your favorite preacher the Holy Ghost or the Spirit of Truth.

You should be very careful not to call a man the Holy Ghost:

Matthew 12
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Upvote 0