• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

'You must be born again'

Discussion in 'Pentecostal & Assemblies of God' started by quietbloke, Nov 13, 2018.

1. quietbloke

quietbloke Brother in Christ Supporter

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    'A ruler once came to Jesus by night,to ask Him the way of salvation and light. The Master made answer in words true and plain,"You must be born again" (William T Sleeper)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+2,389
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Jesus spoke 16th centuary english, pull the other leg it has bells on.

Jesus spoke aramaic not english.

3. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Have you not heard of translations my friend?

4. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    'You must be born again. You must be born again. I verily,verily say to you,you must be born again' (WT Sleeper)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  5. sparow

sparow Well-Known Member Supporter

+224
    Protestant
    Single

John 3:5 (NKJV)
    5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

What puzzles me is "born of water and the spirit" a single event or two events.

6. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Being born physically is to be 'born of water'. Being born again spiritually is to be 'born of the Spirit'. Unless a man or woman,boy or girl is born physically through birth in a mother's womb and then by trusting in Christ as Saviour and Lord starts a new life in Christ by faith,through grace,he or she cannot be 'born again'

7. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    'Ye children of men,attend to the Word,so solemnly uttered by Jesus the Lord and let not this message to you be in vain,'Ye must be born again' (WT Sleeper)

8. sparow

+224
    Protestant
    Single

I have a very different understanding; all scripture is directed toward the kingdom of God and the covenant that defines the kingdom; being born again has to dovetail with the rest of scripture; so I attempt to answer my own question; Born of water is water baptism coupled to repentance and born of the spirit is the resurrection of the righteous on the last day.

9. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    'Oh ye who would enter that glorious rest and sing with the ransomed the song of the blest. The life everlasting if ye would obtain,'Ye must be born again' (W T Sleeper)

10. Tolworth John

+2,389
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    And who today uses 16th centuary english?

11. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    When this hymn was written it was the language used

12. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    'A dear one in heaven thy heart yearns to see at the beautiful gateway be watching for thee. Then list to the note of your solemn refrain,'Ye must be born again' (W T Sleeper)

13. Tolworth John

+2,389
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I would recomend then Praise!
    As they have carefully modernised the obsolute 16th centuary language from the many popular hymns that use words and pharases not in common use, making the hymns understanable.

14. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    'You must be born again. You must be born again. Truely,truely,I say to you,you must be born again'

15. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Whatever reliable translation we use the truth remains that,'You must be born again'

16. Danthemailman

Danthemailman Well-Known Member

+1,057
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Have you considered living water in John 3:5? Jesus said, "born of water and the Spirit" He did not say born of baptism and the Spirit. To automatically read baptism into this verse simply because it mentions "water" is unwarranted.

Scripture interprets itself. Notice in John 7:38-39, "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of LIVING WATER. But this He spoke concerning the SPIRIT. *Did you see that? If "water" is arbitrarily defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If this sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again.

In John 4:10, Jesus said, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." In John 4:14, Jesus said, "but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life. *Jesus connects this living water here with everlasting life. *Living water is not water baptism. In 1 Corinthians 12:13, we also read - ..drink into one Spirit.

17. sparow

+224
    Protestant
    Single

I sort of understand what you are saying. living water refers to God, His spirit, His Son and any of the work they do; which includes water baptism. Because Jesus was not talking privately with His apostles, the verses you quote are parables.

18. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+3,093
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Nicodemus was a Pharisee my friend not a ruler.

19. quietbloke

+36,623
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Nicodemas was indeed a Pharisee. John 3 says he was a ruler of the Jews

20. Geralt

Geralt Reformed Supporter

+252
    Christian
    Private
    you just get sick and tired of people inserting the ritual of water baptism in John 3 = born of water, when clearly the word 'baptism' isnt even mentioned.