Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Water baptism is the baptism of repentance.

John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. Christian baptism is for regeneration. Which is why the disciples of John the Baptist, in Acts 19, needed to receive Christian baptism. Both John's baptism and Christian baptism are of water, the difference is that John's baptism was for repentance in anticipation of the coming of the Messiah; Christ instituted a new baptism by which people--both Jew and Gentile--become Christian.

Repentance isn't a singular act in the life of the Christian, but a calling and way of life. We are called to confess our sins, and to die daily in repentance. Thus repentance is a chief mark of the Christian life. The Christian is a baptized person, trusting in Christ, and bearing the cross of repentance.

Therefore the infant who is brought to the waters of baptism is made a Christian, born anew by God's grace according to Christ's word and God's promise; repentance naturally will follow as the child is raised up in the faith. It may be that for some the seed will be choked out by thorns, or for some that the seed will be eaten by the birds, but the seed is not made ineffective by thorns or birds, it takes root and grows--which is why the Church does not merely baptize and stand back or preach the Word once and stand back but brings the life-giving Word and Sacrament by the faithful command of Christ. St. Paul telling St. Timothy as a pastor to "preach the Gospel in and out of season".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
How does a baby repent?

When they are of age and can bear the fruit of faith, repentance will come. Since the Christian is called to a life of repentance, there is no start or end to it in this life; but rather our life is marked by repentance, by metanoia, by the transformation of our minds that comes from the word of God as we recognize our sins in light of God's righteousness and Law which puts us on our knees and also hear the sweet word of forgiveness in the Gospel that we belong to Christ on account of His word, work, and promise by the grace of God alone.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The don't know the difference between right and wrong yet. They are not accountable for their actions yet.

Sin remains sin even when we are not aware of it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,015.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. Christian baptism is for regeneration. Which is why the disciples of John the Baptist, in Acts 19, needed to receive Christian baptism. Both John's baptism and Christian baptism are of water, the difference is that John's baptism was for repentance in anticipation of the coming of the Messiah; Christ instituted a new baptism by which people--both Jew and Gentile--become Christian.

Repentance isn't a singular act in the life of the Christian, but a calling and way of life. We are called to confess our sins, and to die daily in repentance. Thus repentance is a chief mark of the Christian life. The Christian is a baptized person, trusting in Christ, and bearing the cross of repentance.

Therefore the infant who is brought to the waters of baptism is made a Christian, born anew by God's grace according to Christ's word and God's promise; repentance naturally will follow as the child is raised up in the faith. It may be that for some the seed will be choked out by thorns, or for some that the seed will be eaten by the birds, but the seed is not made ineffective by thorns or birds, it takes root and grows--which is why the Church does not merely baptize and stand back or preach the Word once and stand back but brings the life-giving Word and Sacrament by the faithful command of Christ. St. Paul telling St. Timothy as a pastor to "preach the Gospel in and out of season".

-CryptoLutheran
I wouldn't quite put it that way. John's baptism was water baptism for repentance. The Christian baptism is John's baptism plus Christ's, spiritual baptism. We baptize with water and the laying on of hands and in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

We see in Acts that those who had received the Holy Spirit were then baptized with water and those who had only received water baptism were then baptized in the Spirit by the laying on of hands.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Do you believe the Spirit makes you dead to sin?

Do I believe you or I are sinless...no.

If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
By definition, none of us here are yet.
So then, I can take it your not Born Again (Regenerated) unto newness of life, and living in the Spirit?

Am I also to assume you Live in the Flesh?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So then, I can take it your not Born Again (Regenerated) unto newness of life, and living in the Spirit?

You are confusing 2 things that are different but related.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Do I believe you or I are sinless...no.

If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

How do you explain 1 John 3:9? It seems to contradict 1 John 1:8. There is a reason why they contradict, because one is not about a Christian, and the other is.

I'll give you a hint. What is John referring to in 1 John 4:1-3. Get that correct, and you'll know what John is referring to in 1 John 1:6, 8 and 10.

I'm not going to just give you the answer. You need to study this yourself to be approved.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How do you explain 1 John 3:9? It seems to contradict 1 John 1:8. There is a reason why they contradict, because one is not about a Christian, and the other is.

I'll give you a hint. What is John referring to in 1 John 4:1-3. Get that correct, and you'll know what John is referring to in 1 John 1:6, 8 and 10.

I'm not going to just give you the answer. You need to study this yourself to be approved.

Read ALL of 1 John 3 and quite verse picking...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

That is NOT being born again as Yeshua described it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Read ALL of 1 John 3 and quite verse picking...

I have. Many times. Nothing in chapter 3 contradicts verse 9. Read all of 1 John. It coincides with Romans 6 and Romans 8:9 We are dead to sin because we have the Holy Spirit in us NOW! Not after Jesus comes again as you believe.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have. Many times. Nothing in chapter 3 contradicts verse 9. Read all of 1 John. It coincides with Romans 6 and Romans 8:9 We are dead to sin because we have the Holy Spirit in us NOW! Not after Jesus comes again as you believe.

Problem is I never said that, you did. I never said we do not have the Holy Spirit in us now. I said that is NOT being born again as Yeshua described. We all still sin, if you say you don't you are a liar. We are dead to it because we can repent and be forgiven, we do not remain in our sins. You keep twisting and putting words in my mouth...

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness

Romans 3:23

Last edited:
Upvote 0