Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Matthew 1:23
Belief of the Virgin Birth.
And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
Luke 23:33
The crucifiction of Jesus on the Cross. Through his blood we’re saved.
Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Ephesians 1:20
Believe Christ was raised from the dead .

And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
John 20:26-31 -
Believe that Christ was raise from the Dead in a body .
Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
Romans 8:34
Ascended to God’s right hand.
Belief on all these without a shadow of a doubt. You take on the new man.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2 Corinthians 5:17
And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil. Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Ephesians 4:24-32
You can do this anywhere in a church, in your car , house on a death bed. A new nature you will have and a testimony of light not of darkness.
That my friend is salvation nothing more.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When a person types in red letters and says you 'must' do something to be saved or to be Christian, that is very aggressive to me and needs to be addressed with the appropriate amount of emphasis. My family decided many generations ago not to become Pentecostal or charasmatic, and I still reject that movement because it is extreme and coersive. My family is historically Baptist, since colonial times, and once we get saved in church, we don't let people from this movement come back and demand some extra step to be saved. If I was a pastor in a church and you told me to get saved again, I would have thrown you out, literally.
Well, if your a Baptist, by historical family ties, then you, of all people, should know that there are "musts" when it comes to being saved.

I understand that the method of presentation may need to be addressed but just saying that you must do something, can be totally correct.

Anyone who has been saved, does not need to be saved again. However, if you are believing that you are saved by some false information... then the person is doing you a great service in telling you why you are not saved and how you can ensure that you are saved.

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
You must be " born again of water and spirit" which refers to Baptism .When Jesus came out of the water the Holy Spirit descended on him while being Baptized by John the Baptist. Cant get any more scriptural then that . Protestants always for get the water part .

I should have finished my testimony - sorry. After being Spirit-filled and my carnal nature died, I buried the old man in water/baptism/full immersion.

You don't bury the living, you bury the dead.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I was explaining the difference between Baptist and Methodist, which isn't something I just made up. For some people in some church traditions, faith is a journey.
I would agree that faith is a journey. I think we all come to Christ as little children and need to grow and mature in our Christian walk.
However, there is no journey to being saved. We are told to "come as you are". Christ takes us as we are, sinners each and every one.

Being saved is a pointed event. This is when we are born again as children of God. Then our walk and maturing, in Christ begins.

But, no journey to salvation.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
When a person types in red letters and says you 'must' do something to be saved or to be Christian, that is very aggressive to me and needs to be addressed with the appropriate amount of emphasis. My family decided many generations ago not to become Pentecostal or charasmatic, and I still reject that movement because it is extreme and coersive. My family is historically Baptist, since colonial times, and once we get saved in church, we don't let people from this movement come back and demand some extra step to be saved. If I was a pastor in a church and you told me to get saved again, I would have thrown you out, literally.

The difference between you and me is I KNOW what Jesus said, and UNDERSTAND what Jesus meant and have experienced it, but you call me a religious extremist. Thank you.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Upvote 0

Darrel Slugoski

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2017
Edmonton
✟35,915.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, you are saying that being saved is a journey?

So, you could be almost saved, half saved, 1/3 saved?

Any evangelical church that I have ever attended, heard on TV or the radio, sees the day of your salvation as being as pointed as the day you were married, the day you got your first job, the day you got your driver license, the day you did anything for the first time in your life..

If you cannot say "I was saved on this date" I would be questioning your salvation.... IMO.
Mt;7:21" not all those who say lord lord will enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who do the will of my father "
Phil 2:12 'work out your salvation in fear and trembling "
Mt 10:22 " he who endures to the end will be saved"
Mt:24:13" those who persevere till the end will be saved "
1 Cor 9:27-drive body for fear of being disqualified .

Salvation is a process of obedience , indurance, remaining faithful and a journey .

Upvote 0

Darrel Slugoski

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2017
Edmonton
✟35,915.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I should have finished my testimony - sorry. After being Spirit-filled and my carnal nature died, I buried the old man in water/baptism/full immersion.

You don't bury the living, you bury the dead.

Good point

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Mt;7:21" not all those who say lord lord will enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who do the will of my father "
Phil 2:12 'work out your salvation in fear and trembling "
Mt 10:22 " he who endures to the end will be saved"
Mt:24:13" those who persevere till the end will be saved "
1 Cor 9:27-drive body for fear of being disqualified .

Salvation is a process of obedience , indurance, remaining faithful and a journey .
I've participated in and followed so many threads on this topic. I'm not going down that road again.

If you think that your salvation is a Journey... so be it. Enjoy the ride.

As for me... there is one day in my life where I can truly swear that I was one minute bound for hell and the next bound for glory. It was a moment, one moment of time, in my life, where I realized I was a damned sinner and changed my heart to accept Christ and walk with Him as He taught.

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, if your a Baptist, by historical family ties, then you, of all people, should know that there are "musts" when it comes to being saved.

I understand that the method of presentation may need to be addressed but just saying that you must do something, can be totally correct.

Anyone who has been saved, does not need to be saved again. However, if you are believing that you are saved by some false information... then the person is doing you a great service in telling you why you are not saved and how you can ensure that you are saved.
I've been through enough Christian initiations for one lifetime. If being saved in a Southern Baptist Church and being confirmed in the United Methodist Church doesn't qualify to anyone, then I think you are nutsocrazy, and I don't know what else to say.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
You will know the truth Jesus said, meaning you will know HIM.
When you are sealed after believing is when you know you are saved.
Ephesians 1
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Salvation is OF THE LORD and must begin with being born again, born of God. This is not under your authority or power or control to perform. Do not marvel that you must be born again, this is something God does for you. God sovereignly makes you born of God independent of your will.

7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’
8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

It is God who makes you born of God, until you are born again, you can not see - perceive the kingdom of God.

3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Look up that word, Genesis 1:1 (KJV)

and you will see and understand.

All those who are not born again will have no interest in Christ. All those who are born of God will believe and confess Christ as Lord after which God seals them in the Holy SPirit. Read John 6!

You can not SEE, means this, you will have not interest and can not know spiritual things until born again, and you are not sealed for salvation until after you believe..

1. to perceive with the eyes

2. to perceive by any of the senses

3. to perceive, notice, discern, discover

4. to see
      1. i.e. to turn the eyes, the mind, the attention to anything

2. to pay attention, observe

3. to see about something
        1. i.e. to ascertain what must be done about it
      4. to inspect, examine

5. to look at, behold
    5. to experience any state or condition

6. to see i.e. have an interview with, to visit
  1. to know
    1. to know of anything

2. to know, i.e. get knowledge of, understand, perceive
      1. of any fact

2. the force and meaning of something which has definite meaning

3. to know how, to be skilled in
    3. to have regard for one, cherish, pay attention to (1Th. 5:12)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Darrel Slugoski

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2017
Edmonton
✟35,915.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've participated in and followed so many threads on this topic. I'm not going down that road again.

If you think that your salvation is a Journey... so be it. Enjoy the ride.

As for me... there is one day in my life where I can truly swear that I was one minute bound for hell and the next bound for glory. It was a moment, one moment of time, in my life, where I realized I was a damned sinner and changed my heart to accept Christ and walk with Him as He taught.

I believe you and I believe your saved . Just disagree on the process . Without Christ in our lives and walk we are nothing .

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I was baptized 3 different times during the first 30 years of going to church unsaved. But it wasn't until I actually truly repented that I was filled with the Holy Spirit, and my nature was completely born again from carnal to Spirit-filled.

It is not about the ritual! It's about the heart.

So you weren't saved until you did something, because you don't trust in God's promise to you?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Darrel Slugoski

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2017
Edmonton
✟35,915.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been through enough Christian initiations for one lifetime. If being saved in a Southern Baptist Church and being confirmed in the United Methodist Church doesn't qualify to anyone, then I think you are nutsocrazy, and I don't know what else to say.

As a Methodist, the Catholic Church recognizes you Baptism and confirmation . You would not be rebaptised . Baptism also does what it says it does.

1 Cor 6:11 -you were washed , sanctified , justified
1 Peter 3:21 -" Baptism...now saves you ."
Tit 3:5-saved us through bath of rebirth and renewal by the holy spirit .
Acts 22:16- get selves Baptized and sins washed away .
Jn 3:5,22- born of water and spirit
Acts 2:37-38 repent,be Baptised ,receive the gift of the Holy Spirit .

Salvation is a journey, of obedience , perseverance and remaining faithful throughout life .

Phil 2:12-work out your salvation in fear and trembling
Mt 7:21- not everyone who says Lord Lord out your salvation in with fear and trembling
1 Cor 9:27 -drive body for fear of being disqualified
Mt 24:13-those who persevere to the end will be saved

A really good book to read is 'The Case for Catholicism' by Trent Horn . One of the best books I have read . It helped me see the Catholic Church in the light of the early Church elders/Christians ( in their own words/letters which were written even before the final canon of the Bible was decided in 397 ad ) We have a better argument then most Christians think from the point of view of history and scripture .

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been a Christian all my life but now people have been saying you need to be born again to be saved.

If you just attend church and listen for good ideas, then you are not yet born again.
I attended now and then most of my life, but did not turn my future over to God
until 30.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
So you weren't saved until you did something, because you don't trust in God's promise to you?

-CryptoLutheran

Until I repented, yes.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
John 3:16

But John 3:16 doesn't mention the new birth, it is part of the discussion Jesus has with Nicodemus in which He talks about new birth; but when talking about the new birth He says clearly that it is a birth of "water and [the] Spirit", which is precisely why the Christian faith has always looked to Baptism as the new birth because it is precisely that: water and the Spirit. As we read, for example, in Titus 3:5 that we have been washed by the waters of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit. Jesus responds to Nicodemus' confusion by saying, "Are you a teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand this?", as a rabbi Nicodemus should be very aware of the meaning and significance of tevilah in the mikveh in Judaism, by which a person was made new and a part of the covenant God established through Moses. The Jewish tevilah is a prefigure of Christian Baptism; a new significance is given to this washing in Christ, namely--as St. Paul writes--"Do you not know that all of us who were baptized into Christ were baptized into His death?" We have received new life in Christ by the Holy Spirit in Baptism by which we are new creations, born again, made new, in the Lord Messiah.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hey.... it's not up to me to say if your saved, not saved, when you were saved, why you got saved so many times.. what confirmed is or whatever.... not up to me...

All I'm saying is that accepting Christ, being saved, being born again, attaining salvation..... all the same thing and all happen as one single event, not progressive salvation.

What on earth would that look like... A 30 year old man gets killed in a car crash and the preacher, at the funeral, says....
"poor soul, was on his way to being saved... a couple more months and he would have had salvation... poor soul, died too soon"?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I believe you and I believe your saved . Just disagree on the process . Without Christ in our lives and walk we are nothing .
I agree with that.... it is only through Christ that we are able to anything, in His name.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran
So, I guy comes up to you and says... all you have to do is ask for any new car... and it's yours..

You say "I want a nice new Tesla"... the man gives you a nice new Tesla....

Later that week your friend says "wow" how can I get one.. what did you do to get this car...

Well......what did you do? Anything?

Upvote 0