• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

You Didn't Try Hard Enough

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Duke of Stratford, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Duke of Stratford

Duke of Stratford One day at a time.

+347
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Salvation comes through faith in Jesus' sacrifice and resurrection for our sins, not works. Works (aka spiritual fruit) flow from a saved life and are evidence of saving faith. I believe I have faith, and I believe I have spiritual fruit. I know there are so many ways I'm still falling short, and I know that everyone is the same way. I pray for more love for God, for stronger faith and trust in Him, and for guidance to do His will. I know that I will never be perfect, but that I should seek to grow in Christ through His strength.

I love this C. S. Lewis quote:

But I worry that I'm still not trying enough to obey Him. Putting forth effort in obedience isn't legalism. I don't want to obey out of fear, but out of love. I want to embrace grace and truth. But I worry that, in my love of His grace, in my acceptance that sanctification takes time and that I shouldn't stress so much, that I'm not disciplined enough.

I'm terrified of the idea of my judgement. I just can't imagine Him saying, "Well done, good and faithful servant" to me. Like I'm the disobedient one in every parable, or the one who came close to getting it but was ultimately cast out. That's the scariest thing in the world to me. I don't want Him to be mad at me.

But at the same time, what is He calling me to do? I don't know what, exactly, He'd want me to be doing. There's just this feeling that I'm bad. That He won't be pleased with my life. No direction for how to change it. I'm just an anxious wreck who's scared of falling into dependence on my performance to prove I've made it. How do I find that balance? How do I trust in Christ, rely on Christ, but not be lazy in my faith?

Or am I just overthinking?

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+30,806
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    You are overthinking. Salvation is a journey and we are not all on the same page. Do not compare yourself to others and do not let others tell you at what point you should be in your journey. We are all growing. We all stumble, etc. As long as you are still trying to cultivate your relationship with God, you have nothing to worry about. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+2,085
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Exactly. We all are on a different part of the Salvation journey. So many think Salvation is it, one time and done but Salvation as you said is a journey

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+1,505
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    A few promises from God's Word...

Proverbs 3:6 (KJV) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
    Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
    (Joh 5:24)

Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
    (Rom 8:34-37)

5. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+3,939
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  6. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+3,697
    Christian
    When you go to bed tonight, just load up all of your thoughts and worries into a hot air balloon and send them up to Him. Because He WILL work through them.

All YOU have to do is say to Him "I trust in you 100%." - Actually visualise yourself doing that. Feel the full weight of those thoughts as you load them up, and enjoy watching them float away into space.

Sometimes, the BIGGEST testimony to faith is to let all of your worries go.

Edited about a hundred times due to typos - time for MY bed I think. Smh

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. WrappedUpinHisLove3

WrappedUpinHisLove3 Well-Known Member

+582
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    no, i relate a lot to this. i think many christians do.

and yes i have the constant feeling that am bad, and God hates me

i think it is our anxiety condition tbh

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+1,386
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    How about just focus on the things God has given you that can help and bless others and make sure you make a conscious effort to "invest your talents" everyday.

That I think is a good place to start and that is what I try to do more or less.

1 John 4:18

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,822
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Trying is not trusting. Doing is trusting. Lord Jesus lives in us to be all that God requires us to be, even to having the desire to do what pleases God. When you see the reality of your co-death with Christ and your co-resurrection, you will quit worrying. You are "there". You were terminated at the cross. Then you rose again with Christ. You really are a new creation and the old really has passed away. All that remains is for us to find out what that means in practice and enjoy the perfect salvation that cost Lord Jesus everything to provide for undeserving sinners. Quit worrying about yourself and accept the grace and mercy offered so freely by our heavenly Dad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. WrappedUpinHisLove3

+582
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    i wa speaking to someone on here earlier who was reassuring me that our salvation is not based on our own efforts. i know that can be hard t to receive

Perfect love casts out fear

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. WrappedUpinHisLove3

+582
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Trying to make God approve of you is like trying to enter a room you are already in! you are in the kingdom. stop striving!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. WrappedUpinHisLove3

+582
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    what Aussie Pete said. 100%

13. boxman144

boxman144 Member

+155
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    I am having most of the thoughts you are having. But realize this, we all have doubts. We're all on different walks to get to Jesus. Some are almost finished, and some are just taking the first step.

Even though you and I may be scared of this, we are in this together. We are always here to guide you to the truth.

We can talk about this if you wish, and do this together so you're not alone in your journey to and with Christ. Just shoot me a message, and I'll check in on you.

14. Duke of Stratford

+347
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Thanks. This was really, really good to hear. I guess I needed a bit of tough love.

It can be a bit hard to understand, honestly. But I'll trust that what He says is true. That I'm His, and nothing can change that.

I read through Colossians this evening--that actually helped a lot. Day by day. Growing in wisdom. Not understanding everything yet, but moving forward.

15. Duke of Stratford

+347
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Thanks, man. I'm feeling a lot better now. It's so easy to slip into fear, even when you have this great hope. Praise the Lord for being so patient with us and our erratic feelings!

16. Aussie Pete

+3,822
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Be patient with yourself! Doubt your doubts! God really is on our side. I went through great turmoil and doubt that God loved me. An evil spirit tried to get me to doubt God's love. And God said to me, "What about the Cross?" That puts everything in the right perspective. "God so loved...... me!"

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. Aussie Pete

+3,822
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Please keep in mind that you are a spiritual being, not just a mind. Understanding very often comes after you have accepted truth. A great example is Lord Jesus talking to Nicodemus. Nicodemus was clueless! He may have been the first person to hear about the concept of being born again. Would we have been any less bewildered? I doubt that very much.

18. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+3,697
    Christian
    Interestingly, I had a dream that I was in heaven last night. I felt like a tourist - I was asking everyone "where can I find God?". I then found myself striding effortlessly up this great big mountain - one that was twice the height of Everest, and yeah... Met God.

I can only describe Him as an effervescent confetti cloud of consciousness. I saw NO physical indication of it, but He was annoyed at me for something. As soon as I felt sad, I felt an overwhelming sense of forgiveness rain over me.

Interesting - that dream was no doubt triggered by this thread, so there you go. Another (more abstract) answer.

*Important note: a dream is just an extension of my imagination. It is NOT a real (or even accurate) representation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  19. Duke of Stratford

+347
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    That’s a really beautiful dream! Thank you for sharing!

20. FutureAndAHope

FutureAndAHope Just me Supporter

+1,214
    Christian
    Married
    It is always hard to say where such feeling originate from, I have the same thoughts, from time to time. I would say the pressure that you are feeling though, may come from the devil, not God. For it is a pressure to feel like you are not good enough. i.e. see the path way. 1) the devil says: you are not good enough for God, 2) we get frustrated, and feel unworthy 3) The devil: tries to get us to stop following God because it seems just too hard. We are being pushed beyond what our courage allows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List