The Wild West
✟461,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Philip has mentioned a couple of the places which immediately spring to mind. In Melbourne you could try St. Peter's East Melbourne. I don't know which of the other places I could think of have any streaming, but I will try to find some time to research for you later. My parish doesn't stream, and sadly I don't see it doing so any time soon; technical expertise to do it well not being a strong point here.

If I could get some of the churches which do a particularly good job at it to contribute to a how-to guide, do you think such a thing would be helpful? I would probably start by asking the four London churches I mentioned, particularly the two City parishes, because City parishes as a rule are not exactly overflowing with money (whereas I’m pretty sure that St. Martin’s in the Field and St. Thomas Fifth Ave, while not at risk of being raided Ocean’s Eleven style, are nonetheless the beneficiaries of substantial endowments).

I know of a lot of parishes which stream but not all of them have good audio/video quality. I also have a friend who is a science youtuber whose channel specializes in remarkable electrical demonstrations, but I suspect the skills required to record a terrifyingly overpowered Tesla coil powered by giant transformers that are genuine products of the Soviet Union, and the ability to record a liturgy, are different skills.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
St Matthias Centennial Park - utterly conventional, able to dangle the legs over the edge of a tram ticket.

I love trams, especially Melbourne W1 trams, and especially the kind they used to run in Adelaide, which closely resemble American trams except ours have a single headlamp and are slightly wider, but otherwise, the length, the doors, etc, is the same, but I have never encountered that expression before. I am guessing it is a Melbourne thing since due to the contraction of the Moscow and St. Petersburg networke Melbourne now has the largest tramway in not just the Southern Hemisphere but the entire world?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My sense is probably not? I don't mean to be dismissive, but from my very limited experience with recording/streaming services, so much is about the particular space you're working in, and its strengths and constraints, as well as a question of what the people you have can manage in the way of cameras/mics/software/streaming platform and so on.

It's not as simple - if you want a good result - as just bunging a laptop on the altar and going for it, but how to make it work well is different in every place.

Just as an example, in my last parish, we experimented with recording some services during lockdown. We ended up doing that in the side chapel, because it was much easier in the smaller space, with better light and kinder acoustics, than in the nave. I couldn't, with what I could manage, get a good result in the nave (and then many of the congregation complained about that :rolleyes: ).

And you'd have to start with some basics which would depend on things like the make and model of the camera... probably very difficult to cover all bases with a simple how-to. But thanks for the thought!

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
My sense is probably not? I don't mean to be dismissive, but from my very limited experience with recording/streaming services, so much is about the particular space you're working in, and its strengths and constraints, as well as a question of what the people you have can manage in the way of cameras/mics/software/streaming platform and so on.

It's not as simple - if you want a good result - as just bunging a laptop on the altar and going for it, but how to make it work well is different in every place.

Just as an example, in my last parish, we experimented with recording some services during lockdown. We ended up doing that in the side chapel, because it was much easier in the smaller space, with better light and kinder acoustics, than in the nave. I couldn't, with what I could manage, get a good result in the nave (and then many of the congregation complained about that :rolleyes: ).

And you'd have to start with some basics which would depend on things like the make and model of the camera... probably very difficult to cover all bases with a simple how-to. But thanks for the thought!

Good point. Also by the way if I saw someone put a laptop on the altar I would completely freak out. The limit of what I could take would be a specially consecrated tablet containing the propers serving the function of an altar book (you also see books containing the liturgy and propers on the altar in Orthodox parishes, albeit never with leather binding; they sell loose leaf editions of the Menaion, the book of fixed feasts, presumably for this reason). However Orthodox Holy Tables are large and square in shape, and located inside the altar, and have a number of things on them; Anglican churches tend to be closer to Roman altars, being smaller, and are by their shape requiring more caution. Interestingly narrowest altars I’ve seen are Syriac Orthodox altars, which can be just a meter wide, with gradations, and a sort of canopy on pillars extending over the altar table, so there is little room for anything.

Also as we have observed previously, St. Stephen Walbrook has an altar of such great diameter that it looks like you would need those sticks croupiers use to work with it, although the way they actually use it is to celebrate the Eucharist on the outer edge, and during Advent, the wreath is placed in the center, which is quite elegant and does not require the arms of Inspector Gadget (a beloved 80s children’s tv cartoon in the US and Canada, did you get that in Australia?)

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh yes, I remember Inspector Gadget. Quite the mental image. :)

I use a tablet, sometimes, rather than books for presiding. But that is much more discreet than a proper streaming set up would be.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟602,036.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I love trams, especially Melbourne W1 trams, and especially the kind they used to run in Adelaide, which closely resemble American trams except ours have a single headlamp and are slightly wider, but otherwise, the length, the doors, etc, is the same, but I have never encountered that expression before. I am guessing it is a Melbourne thing since due to the contraction of the Moscow and St. Petersburg networke Melbourne now has the largest tramway in not just the Southern Hemisphere but the entire world?
I love Melbourne trams. We abanded trams many years ago, and lately have had this bright new idea called 'light rail'. The difference of course is somewhat nuanced. My point however in the remark about dangling one's legs over the edge of a tram ticket is a localised expression which probably means something like so low you can't get under it!

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh yes, I remember Inspector Gadget. Quite the mental image. :)

My favorite episode was where Dr. Claw staged a fake alien invasion, and Penny saved the day with the help of Brain the Dog, and her trusty computer book, which when I was five I thought was the coolest thing ever. She was the real hero of the show (considering that Inspector Gadget had all the crime fighting prowess of Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau (if you recall, he took the job of Chief Inspector Dreyfus after the latter went repeatedly insane due to his antics), and even dressed in the same manner as Clouseau in the animated introductions to the Peter Sellers / Blake Edwards films (which I also loved in my youth; by the way I found the Steve Martin film to be incredibly bad; part of the charm of the Blake Edwards films was that they were simultaneously ridiculous slapstick yet also stylish and elegant, aided by the music of Henry Mancini).

I use a tablet, sometimes, rather than books for presiding. But that is much more discreet than a proper streaming set up would be.

I think in a few years time many otherwise traditional churches might switch to tablets as the costs continue to come down, vs. printed hymnals and service bulletins. They are more eco-friendly, have anti-theft devices, and can better accommodate people who are visually impaired but still have sight, through high-contrast, large letter displays. And I think Anglican churches are, as a denomination, likely to be among the trailblazers of this. The LiturgyWorks project I am a part of is in fact designing for the tablet with printed materials as a secondary priority.

I would imagine that the Anglo Catholic parishes in London that stream have had professionals set it up in such a way so that it is not overtly noticeable.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I love Melbourne trams. We abanded trams many years ago, and lately have had this bright new idea called 'light rail'. The difference of course is somewhat nuanced. My point however in the remark about dangling one's legs over the edge of a tram ticket is a localised expression which probably means something like so low you can't get under it!

If you are a genuine tram enthusiast I will have to PM you; trams and light rail have been one of the great loves of my life, since I was a small boy.

So I take it you meant that St. Matthias Centennial Park is so low church you can’t get under it?

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟535,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Side note, but on Thursday/Friday I was away at a clergy event, and Thursday marked the feast of the birth of Mary, Mother of our Lord. Which meant a Marian focus to our Eucharist and prayer services.
Our guys were having a clergy retreat too. Communal living in a giant cabin in the Blue Ridge mountains. I was not able to go due to lack of childcare but it was all blue vestments and rosaries.

Interestingly, there were Wiccans holding an event at the same location. They asked our guys to send someone over to tell them about the Lord Jesus Christ. They did not bargain on us having a first nations chap to take on the task. He was empowered by the Spirit and his tribal experience with shamanism to shake them up properly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Our guys were having a clergy retreat too. Communal living in a giant cabin in the Blue Ridge mountains. I was not able to go due to lack of childcare but it was all blue vestments and rosaries.

Interestingly, there were Wiccans holding an event at the same location. They asked our guys to send someone over to tell them about the Lord Jesus Christ. They did not bargain on us having a first nations chap to take on the task. He was empowered by the Spirit and his tribal experience with shamanism to shake them up properly.

Glory to God!

Upvote 0