Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He includes Peter in the "we" - and he included Peter when he said that no one will be justified by the law. Instead of a "law" "gospel" opposition, I see Paul as proclaiming salvation is by grace through faith - and not through the law - for both him and Peter.
Wow, good point. I saw interesting points I had never noticed reading this passage, when I read it with this in mind.

Paul's application to Peter: "How is it you force Gentiles to live as Jews?" (2:14) How can this happen if Peter isn't ministering to Gentiles? And why was Peter eating with Gentiles in the first place? (2:12)

Paul is confronting Peter over an inconsistency in his ministry in Antioch. Where is the inconsistency if Peter were Apostle to the Jews, exclusively?

Where is the inconsistency if these are two gospels?

Upvote 0

rightlydividingtheword

Dec 19, 2005
✟15,325.00
Faith
Christian
Wow, good point. I saw interesting points I had never noticed reading this passage, when I read it with this in mind.

Paul's application to Peter: "How is it you force Gentiles to live as Jews?" (2:14) How can this happen if Peter isn't ministering to Gentiles? And why was Peter eating with Gentiles in the first place? (2:12)

Paul is confronting Peter over an inconsistency in his ministry in Antioch. Where is the inconsistency if Peter were Apostle to the Jews, exclusively?

Where is the inconsistency if these are two gospels?
Galations 2:14)
14) But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Peter Knew better, being that Paul revealed the mystery program to him.

Galations 2:14) But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
Galations 2:16
16) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Galations 2:14)
14) But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Peter Knew better, being that Paul revealed the mystery program to him.

Galations 2:14) But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
Galations 2:16
16) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
There is no Scripture in the Word of God anywhere that says Paul revealed any such thing to Peter.

Paul did not say this to Peter before Peter already had spoken in Acts 15 and declared that Gentiles do not have to keep the law -nor become Jews.
Paul saw a failure of Peter's in a moment of weakness and rebuked him for it as a brother, and as instruction within the Church; unfortunately, Peter wasn't there to rebuke Paul for his own weakness and failure in his own moment of failure, for which the riots were begun in Jerusalem which landed him in prison for the misunderstandings.

Paul writes to the Corinthians;
1Cr 7:17¶But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised. Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.

But Paul did not even keep this command in his own weakness:
Act 16:1¶Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father [was] a Greek:Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium. Him would Paul have to go forth with him; and took and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for they knew all that his father was a Greek.

And it is Jesus Christ who is perfect in all His behavior, not any man -as Paul so rightly pointed out of himself in Romans 7 and 8.

The Scriptures were not written to show us perfection in human behavior of anyone in thier adamic nature, but of the "Perfect Man" Who was to come and is come and shall come, who became the final sin offering for all in Adam, so that we may be dressed in new garments of glory called the Spirit of regeneration and the body of Adoption, to be able to be filled with the glory of the Father again, which we were created to be a temple for in the beginning, and died to, in the fall.

The doctrines which you of MAD have brought here seem to try to make us believe that Paul has been elevated above all the Apostles and disciples, almost to a state of "godhood" -and even elevating him to a position of authority above the words of Jesus Christ as recorded in the four Gospels, which you deny apply to you as you say they were not written to "you" -is that not correct?

The matter was decided by the Jerusalem council in Acts 15 -to which Peter and Paul both failed to live up to in their personal walk at different times.

Acts 15
6 Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter. 7 And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: "Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, 9 and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus *Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they."
12 Then all the multitude kept silent and listened to Barnabas and Paul declaring how many miracles and wonders God had worked through them among the Gentiles. 13 And after they had become silent, James answered, saying, "Men and brethren, listen to me: 14 Simon has declared how God at the first visited the Gentiles to take out of them a people for His name. 15 And with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written:

16 'After this I will return
And will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down;
I will rebuild its ruins,
And I will set it up;
17 So that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord,
Even all the Gentiles who are called by My name,
Says the *Lord who does all these things.'

18 *"Known to God from eternity are all His works. 19 Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from *sexual immorality, from things strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath."
The Jerusalem Decree
22 Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas who was also named Barsabas,* and Silas, leading men among the brethren.
23 They wrote this letter by them:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.